Author Topic: Gardner snake skins?  (Read 4284 times)

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
Gardner snake skins?
« on: January 04, 2013, 11:12:19 am »
I've got a wanting to put some gardner snake skins[about 4and1/2 feet length] that have that red line running down them as opposed to the yellow line on a bow I've got.For trade I've got good straight hedge and hickory staves/lots of antler/and elk leg sinew.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline ionicmuffin

Re: Gardner snake skins?
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2013, 12:59:43 pm »
 :'( unfortunatly all my gardersnakes left! i havent seen them in years!  :-\ Good luck!
Amo innectis arcus- I love crafting bows (latin)

Offline 4dog

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2013, 10:12:00 am »
Not being snarky but its GARTER snakes, :)
"SET" is always there !!!

Offline PrimitiveTim

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2013, 10:36:00 am »
a 4.5' garter snake is very very rare.  You'd have to do some serious stretching of the skins.
Florida to Kwajalein to Turkey and back in Florida again.  Good to be home but man was that an adventure!

Offline adb

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2013, 11:38:11 am »
Most Garter snakes are usually about half that. They don't get very big. Well... up here, anyway.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2013, 02:18:12 pm by adb »

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2013, 06:19:07 pm »
And they are skinny.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2013, 07:40:03 pm »
Caught a 3 footer couple years ago.
They get big enough
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline Lemos

« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2013, 01:20:21 am »
I just used up mine a bit ago but I can keep you in mind if your not in a rush. I get big ones in the power transformers I work in. I usually get half a dozen in the 3 to 4 foot range can't guarantee the red stripe most are an orange color

Offline Thesquirrelslinger

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2013, 07:22:25 pm »
I have a snake that is pestering me, but its not venomous and its a garter. Don't want to kill it. Do you guys go snake-hunting or do you just use dead snakes?
"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results"

Offline PrimitiveTim

« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2013, 10:40:16 am »
Do you guys go snake-hunting or do you just use dead snakes?
Dead ones that are found on the roads.
Florida to Kwajalein to Turkey and back in Florida again.  Good to be home but man was that an adventure!

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2013, 10:51:57 am »
Ok...sorry I mean garter snakes I quess.You're right.Don't change the look of what I mean....LOL.
Lemos....keep me informed ok?I've got a lot of good bow making wood and raw materials for trade.Actually I guess I was a bit over zealous asking for 4.5'.Two foot will work but then two of them.I have em here too occasionally.They show up better in the wetter years.
SS....They got to have their head cut off and skinned to get on a bow.Using dead snakes found does'nt work too well.
BowEd
Ed

Offline Josh B

« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2013, 12:58:31 pm »
Ed I will more than likely pick up a few garter snakes this summer when I'm mowing.  They are usually two and a half feet to three foot in length.  I done know if I have the species you want though.  Mine are silver striped with red and black checker pattern.  If I get a couple nice ones, I'll send you a message to see if you want em.  Here's the pattern.  Josh

Offline PrimitiveTim

« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2013, 02:00:38 pm »
They got to have their head cut off and skinned to get on a bow.Using dead snakes found does'nt work too well.

You're saying that if you found a snake dead on the road like this one you wouldn't stop and skin it?  This is a 5 foot mud snake and the skin is mostly intact.

Offline Lemos

« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2013, 04:03:07 am »
Hopefully this works with the pic. I was incorrect mine have the blue gray stripe also if you want a big one, our small ones have orange or red stripes.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2013, 08:59:08 am »
Primitive Tim....Nice snake.I meant if the snake had been dead too long and rotted.Road kills tend to be pretty damaged if not found right away sometimes but yes I've used road killed snake too.Dead ones from snake shop raisers are an option too.They still nead their head cut off and skinned and dried.
BowEd
Ed