Author Topic: Bird dog in training!  (Read 1077 times)

Stringman

Bird dog in training!
« on: January 04, 2013, 05:31:40 pm »
Molly is closing in on 2 yr old and I just started her huntin birds this fall. I had to work her out of some gun shy issues and then her natural instincts took over. She's still pretty raw, but I can't complain about her progress!

Just wish I lived closer to some pheasant rich environments. Paying to hunt will get expensive! Today was the last day for me, but I look forward to a lot of good seasons with this spotted dog.

Scott

Offline Roy

Re: Bird dog in training!
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2013, 11:00:30 pm »
Nice picture. What kind of gun?

Stringman

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2013, 01:15:40 am »
Thanks Roy, it's a Winchester model 101 field grade. A good friend traded it to me for an Osage bow that I made to his specifications. We were both happy!  ::)

Scott

Offline Roy

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2013, 01:26:13 am »
Ok, it looks nice. I have an old Fox Sterlingworth double barrel. 12ga mod and improved cylinders, 24 inch barrel. What a grouse gun it is.

Offline chamookman

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2013, 05:24:45 am »
Looks like fun Stringman ! I have a 9 year old English Setter that LOVES to hunt Grouse and Timberdoodles. Gotta love double Guns too (SxS's), have an Ugartechea 28 and a Fox 20.
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline HoBow

• The choices we make dictate the lives we lead.
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2013, 09:39:26 am »
They get $15-$20 per bird plus guide fees if you need it plus miscellaneous other fees around here. It does get expensive quick.
Jeff Utley- Atlanta GA

Stringman

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2013, 10:38:44 am »
Molly is a Brittany/springer spaniel and we bought her for a family dog. She has shown all the skill sets to be both a gentle family pet and a hunter. Sure am proud of her.

The model 101 is a great gun to walk the fields with. It fits me to a T!

Scott