Author Topic: What Did You Do Today?  (Read 846907 times)

Offline skyarrow

• Sterling Lynch Victoria, TX (361)935-1715 text me
Re: What did you do Today?
« Reply #195 on: January 18, 2013, 11:27:16 pm »
Here is what i did today after work i built a new bridge for my first guitar an old regal. I lost the original one a long time ago

And here is a quick video of its sound
http://youtu.be/KFCud-ejlnU
« Last Edit: January 18, 2013, 11:30:48 pm by skyarrow »
"We don't have mistakes here, we just have happy accidents" Bob Ross RIP 1995

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #196 on: January 19, 2013, 12:37:04 am »
Cool trick, skyarrow.  BTW, loved the guitar work, muy classico!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline skyarrow

• Sterling Lynch Victoria, TX (361)935-1715 text me
« Reply #197 on: January 19, 2013, 12:40:53 am »
Thanx JW im way out of practice i almost cut my finger tip off back in November talk about having guitar withdraws hehe its feeling much better. now its time  to practice harder and pickup where i left  off :)   
"We don't have mistakes here, we just have happy accidents" Bob Ross RIP 1995

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #198 on: January 19, 2013, 08:24:15 am »
I just got up. Made some coffee and dipped the last dip of finish on a bow. Just watching it drip now......Like Tom Petty always says, " The waitin' is the hardest part."
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline sadiejane

« Reply #199 on: January 19, 2013, 01:03:21 pm »
nothing like an early morning fire to drink coffee by..
thinking thinking thinking about what to make today...bad need of some new arrows
but started a bear hide possibles bag i need to finish up.
cupla bows in the works too and with the sun shining and the fire roaring....
then there is the local indigenous food/flower seed exchange this afternoon
the day is mine and its gonna be a lovely one-blessed
wild women don't get the blues

Offline seabass

« Reply #200 on: January 19, 2013, 05:55:54 pm »
i worked on three cars today.i put two brakelines on the wifes car about a week ago laying in the snow.today i had great weather so she made me get off my butt and bleed them.i hate bleeding brakes,but today it went very well and i got it done.then i fixed my trans.it had been slipping a bit and needed some fluid.then i put plugs,wires,battery and an oil change on the nieces car.it sucks being the only guy around.i get to do all the grunt work.oh well,such is life.i hope all you guys are having a great day.
Middletown,Ohio

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #201 on: January 19, 2013, 08:21:17 pm »
I took advantage of finally having a day at home and spent a little time in my shop.  I got my girly HHB all lined up and reflexed a little.  This is one of my favorite parts of bowmaking.  I love the smell of the hot wood.  HHB doesn't smell as good as osage.  It will take me 10 minutes to get that mess of clamps off of there.  I'm in no hurry with this bow so I think I'll leave it on the caul for a week or so.  I hope to get some more shop time tomorrow.

I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Gsulfridge

« Reply #202 on: January 19, 2013, 08:33:52 pm »

I went out and cut some Osage and harvested 5 dozen pieces of cane. Good day of gathering material.
Greg Sulfridge, Lafollette, TN

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #203 on: January 19, 2013, 08:40:40 pm »
No pics but I went and cut three straight 4 to 5 inch ironwood logs today.Just wonering if it's ok to lightly scrape the bark off with a drawknife to or just past the cambium on these.They don't split straight so I think I'll just cut them on the bandsaw.I've never dried the stuff before hope it works.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline bubby

« Reply #204 on: January 19, 2013, 09:48:31 pm »
went to my grandson's basketball game and then his 13 yr old sis' birthday party, came home and shot the bows a little
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Dvshunter

« Reply #205 on: January 20, 2013, 11:12:05 am »
Got a bit done yesterday.

Split an elm log and pulled the bark of five staves.

Tillered a bit more on an Osage.

Had the horn in a tip delaminate. Not the glue lines but the horn itself let go. Very frustraiting.

Heated another bow and then got the shop as clean as its been in a long time. Then I shot my bow.

"There is a natural mystic blowing through the air; if you listen carefully now you will hear." Robert Nesta Marley

Offline Keenan

« Reply #206 on: January 20, 2013, 11:50:00 am »
Nice looking stave on the bench David.

Got the handle wrap done on the lumpy yew bow. Going to get some full draw pics today and get her in the mail tomarrow. Guess it's time to quit playing with her and let her find her way to her new home ;D

Offline Roy

« Reply #207 on: January 20, 2013, 12:28:58 pm »
Ya need my address, Keenan?:)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #208 on: January 20, 2013, 03:06:45 pm »
Dvs, what kind of glue did you use for the antler tip overlays?  When I use super glue I size the antler first and let that glue dry before glueing tit to the bow tip. The pithy portions of the antler can soak up glue and starve the joint.  Also, I have set a small wood dowel(blind) in the bow and into the overlay to help hold the overlay in place along with the glue.
  Beadman, If your staves won't split straight it probably grew in a spoial and sawing it out will cause runoffs in your stave. You might be better splitting it out and correcting the twist with heat.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Dvshunter

« Reply #209 on: January 20, 2013, 06:50:40 pm »
I used superglue pat. Like I said though it wasn't a glue failure. If you look at the pic close you can see there is horn on both the antler and bow. It was a small strip about 3/16th thick that delaminated. I am going to.just try and reglue it. Hopefully it won't happen again.
"There is a natural mystic blowing through the air; if you listen carefully now you will hear." Robert Nesta Marley