Author Topic: What Did You Do Today?  (Read 835743 times)

Offline Eric Krewson

Re: What Did You Do Today?
« Reply #3165 on: October 31, 2023, 05:52:17 pm »
Time to take the electric fence down from around my deer food plot and invite the deer in to feed.

I had a huge water bill because if almost 2 months of drought, the deer will have plenty to eat.

I need to get out the leaf blower, this time of year I have to blow the plot off twice a week so the wheat and oats can get sunlight.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #3166 on: November 26, 2023, 08:40:38 pm »
The plot was turned into almost bare ground in a couple of weeks. I didn't think they were still coming to it until I put a trail camera out, they are still covering it up at night.

Yesterday morning I was in my ground blind at daylight, a fat doe came out on the plot about 6:10. It was barely light enough to see my sights, when I shot, I was blinded by the pan flashing and didn't know if I hit her or not. I went out looking for blood.

She started doing cartwheels down the hill and only went 10' off the plot.

I used my over the hill old guy deer retrieval vehicle to get her up to the house.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #3167 on: November 27, 2023, 09:10:19 am »
Congratulations on a successful hunt Eric. I think I would have a hard time holding steady with the flash in my eyes. Looks like a good shot

Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #3168 on: November 27, 2023, 10:38:16 am »
I had a slight hangfire, she had time to scoot back a little, I was holding behind the shoulder, got one shoulder and messed up some meat, dang.

My trail camera has a slow shutter speed so everything is a blur but caught the deer a millisecond after I shot her, this is when she started doing cartwheels down the hill into the woods.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #3169 on: November 27, 2023, 11:15:59 am »
Congrats Eric, nice shot. I'm still hunting for #11 caps for my old TC Hawken. Cant find a dang thing locally and wont buy off the web for 8 million dollars and 2 million in shipping. That is exaggerated, but that's what it feels like.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #3170 on: November 27, 2023, 10:43:02 pm »
Congrats Eric, nice doe and looks like that shot done the trick. Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #3171 on: November 28, 2023, 10:21:58 am »
PM me your address Mr Drums and I will send you some for free, I have lots. Just a heads up; Walmart puts out caps in July for $5 and change a tin, they don't last long, it is my understanding that more people steal them than pay for them. In July I walk by the M/L stuff every time I go in the store, on one trip they were on the rack, I picked up 3 tins and left the remaining tins on the rack for someone else. We have three Walmart's in town, I don't shoot percussion much so I didn't go to the other stores and get a few more. I do keep a stock for a SHTF scenario, caps, flints and 23# of powder.

Academy has them as well before hunting season, theirs's are $13 and change a tin, they do price matching so if you have proof of Walmart's price, they will sell you some at the $5 price Walmart charges.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #3172 on: December 18, 2023, 10:35:28 am »
It is legal to shoot in my yard, living at the end of a dead-end road in a subdivision there are at least 100 acres of woods behind my place. I have an archery range alongside my shop as well as a place to shoot my flintlocks (and other stuff), I have sent thousands rounds down range.

I put trail camera on my neighbor's orchard to check the deer movement. The camera is downrange of where I shoot, when I pulled the card, I had consistent pictures of my neighbor's grown son and his girlfriend on it roaming through the woods, not good.

In a previous post I started a bullet trap but never finished it, shoveling a yard of sand put me in a recliner for days with extreme pain from a hernia mesh issue that I have dealt with for a while.

A couple of days ago I felt good and decided to finish the project. I had used up all of my scrounged lumber, I needed to buy more as well as another 1/2 yard of sand.

I bought what I needed and finished the bullet trap, I used smaller boards on the front so I could change out any that got shot up. The stall mat will keep the sand from leaking out when I change boards.

I went overboard on the dimensions with 3ft of bullet stopping sand, 2 ft would have been more than enough. I used a sand volume calculator to determine how much sand to buy, as you can see it was spot on.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #3173 on: December 18, 2023, 07:03:55 pm »
That is a right nice sandbox you got there, Eric!

I made a 20 hour roadtrip to Southeast Nebraska a few weeks ago and bought a dozen osage staves from a guy. He's no bowyer, but learned he can get a lot more money from a bow stave than he has been getting for fence posts, so he started holding back straighter stuff. I have been slowly going thru the stack taking off the sapwood and getting them down to a single growth ring before resealing. I warned him that his 2,500 staves in his barn all have powder post beetles in the sapwood and that the sapwood is going to cause them all to check. He has been taking off just the bark and sealing with cheap wood glue. I explained bark-on prevents checking, down-to-sapwood-and-sealed prevents checking, but you just cannot seal sapwood enough to stop them from checking. Dunno if he has the time and energy to go through that stack and rip sapwood off, so I suggested he get one of those debarking tools that mounts on a chainsaw. So long as he uses a gentle touch and just barely gets to yellow wood before re-sealing will save him from losing (literally) tons of wood. He seemed genuinely interested in having a good product for sale, so I hope he heeds my words.

I also showed him on stave after stave what exactly I was looking for. He pulled out a saw and we cut the ends off a number of staves so we could get a better look at the growth rings. I showed him the early wood to late wood ratios that were best, those that were good, and the crap that was fuel for the woodburner stove. He started to get an eye and I quizzed him on a couple staves asking him which growth ring would be the one to pick for the back of a bow. He picked the same rings I saw and his confidence grew.

He tells me he had been to one of the jams, I forget now whether it was Mojam or Ojam. He said he was interested in hauling wood to these sort of events to sell, but was worried about picking a stave to ship to someone. His name is Duane Hansen out of Syracuse, Nebraska. If you run into him, say hi from me! Then fill his ears with education on what bowyers want in a stave. I think the more he hears what we want the better his product offering will be. And if you can, talk him into starting a bow with you at whatever venue you meet him. He expressed interest in learning to make one for himself...and you know making one means making another. And THAT will teach him huge lessons in what is a stave and what's firewood.

Today I spent 5 hours in the shop on a big ol' hog of a stave from him. With a lot of wedges and some luck, I turned that bugger into 3 good staves and a 4th that might make a kid's character bow. My arms and back started barking at me, so I swept up, burned the scrap, and came in the house for a cup of hot tea and time to catch up with you all.

Sorry I don't get in here as often, I kinda lost interest in making bows for a couple years, but I am back scraping again. Let's all keep in touch, ok?
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3174 on: December 19, 2023, 09:24:32 am »
Glad to see you back at it JW, yes getting a bunch of Osage debarked and down to yellow wood is a chore but if you want to be sure of no bug damage it really needs to be done, sometime you get lucky if you don't but to me not worth the risk. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #3175 on: December 19, 2023, 11:52:55 am »
A friend of mine heard about an osage fence post dealer that lived 40 miles away, not far from Huntsville AL and where I live in Florence. With wide eyes he hustled over there to pick out some wood for making bows only to find hundreds of potential bow staves completely riddled by powder post beetles. The guy was selling 6' posts for $5 each but didn't know about the bow wood possibility of his stash.

Offline YosemiteBen

« Reply #3176 on: December 20, 2023, 01:14:52 am »
Been getting over a cold. Finishing up processing some RKS I picked up over a week ago. Raining here on my days off kiiboshed many of the things I had planned to do. Back to work tomorrow through Xmas eve. Xmas Day falls on my day off this year! Iffn I do not get back here before Xmas, Y'all have a gooder! Stay warm, stay safe have a good Christmas and New year!

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3177 on: December 20, 2023, 09:18:43 am »
Same to you Ben.  :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline WhistlingBadger

• Future Expert
« Reply #3178 on: December 28, 2023, 02:17:39 pm »
I love the smell of toasted hickory in the morning.  It smells like...victory.
Thomas
Lander, Wyoming
"The trail is the thing, not the end of the trail.
Travel too fast, and you miss all you are traveling for."
~Louis L'Amour

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #3179 on: December 29, 2023, 07:52:00 pm »
Personally I prefer fresh toasted HHB it has a really nice smell

Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise