Author Topic: What Did You Do Today?  (Read 837963 times)

Offline RyanY

Re: What Did You Do Today?
« Reply #750 on: March 23, 2013, 09:46:58 am »
Thanks guys!

Pekane, It isn't a kit uke.  :)

Offline Olanigw (Pekane)

« Reply #751 on: March 23, 2013, 09:52:06 am »
Thanks guys!

Pekane, It isn't a kit uke.  :)
Then even more kudos are due ;)
"Good enough" is the enemy of great
PN501018

Offline Adam

« Reply #752 on: March 23, 2013, 11:13:56 am »
I finished and mailed in my paperwork to buy a pistol suppressor.  Now the long wait begins before it's approved and I can pick it up...

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #753 on: March 23, 2013, 12:54:45 pm »
Cool UKE, I play.  You should check out the Ukulele World Congress in Brown County Indiana.  It's the biggest UKE party anywhere.  My Buddy puts it on, this will be the fourth year, first weekend in June.  The cool thing for me is...I got the guy who puts it on playing the UKE, so I'm like a some sort of upper crust there.  I play back porch drinkin tunes mostly.  Good job on the little lady. dpg
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline Poggins

« Reply #754 on: March 24, 2013, 02:22:28 am »
Thanks for the prayers everyone , I think we may be on the downhill run with radiation treatments for a fewore weeks and only one more chemo next month.

OJAM is all but over, one more morning left before cleanup begins .
We still have tents to take down power tools to load up benches to load campers to hook up and try to get the Rutter farm back to the way it was last weekend . If the weather holds out there are a few more bows to work on and there will be a couple that will have to wait a while before they get finished ( some of them had purchased Osage that had been cut for two weeks , still green ) . It stayed damp and cool all day and there was not as many people showing up as last year. We used a classroom type of class this year with two yellow hats ( those comfortable with marking out bows , cutting out bows , final tillering and running the class) and three or four red hats ( those that knew how to make a now but still needed a little help in some areas such as marking out bows running power equipment or or just needed the confedince of teaching some new to bow building ) their job was to teach new people how to chaise rings show them how to tiller a bow help them cut nocks and just talk them through the bow making proses , and there were ten to fifteen students to a class . This worked out pretty good , it was like having two students to a teacher and you could work closer with someone that may not be able to keep up with others or had a difficult stave. I worked with one individual that had a thicker stave that we split into two , he kept getting in a hurry and had to go down another ring once on the first stave and when I turned around to help another for just a minute he cut down two growth rings on one side . When he did that I picked up his other half so a stave and got him started on it , he did learn to slow down and finally made a bow . A young girl was working on a bad knotty stave but kept at it for over an hour without giving up so I went to my pickup and got a decent little stave out and gave it to her , she got here bow done before her father and even shot better then he did at the running pig shoot . It sure felt good to see someone so young tackle something like that and not give up ( she did get a real nice little bow out of it , just wish I could have gotten some pictures of all of this but they kept me hooked up ) . I did graduate from a red hat to a yellow hat , looks like I'll be running a class next year now I need to practice running my bandsaw and cut bows out .

Offline stringstretcher

• Traditionalarcherycommunitysite.com
« Reply #755 on: March 24, 2013, 07:47:51 am »
Pictures pictures pictures :o

Offline Sidewinder

« Reply #756 on: March 24, 2013, 10:31:14 am »
Just got back from Ojam last night. We buttoned it up a day early to beat the snow that was coming our way back home. Had a great time. We set up in the cedars and had 6 new students with us. 4 of em carpenters and they sure take instruction well. Got one bow final tillered as it was ready when we got there and two teen agers that got everything to floor tiller and ready for heat corrections. The rest are all floor tillered and bending good. We used all hand tools cuz thats the way they said they want to learn it first. I takes a little longer.
 Got to spend some good time with JonW. He accidently camped right next to us so that worked out well. Great guy and he makes some killer short bows and is one of the best corn cooks I ever met. >:D >:D
  Met Poggins. Sorry Poggins I forgot about your mom. I should have remembered and said something. I know you were pretty busy. Looks like the crew did a great job this year, as usual. I suppose I'll be signing up as a red hat next year instead of lone rangering it in the woods.
 Once again we had a great time, ate like kings, in the evening drank like sailors made shavings like a beaver and really enjoyed everyones company.  Looking forward to the next one.  Danny
"You know a tree by the fruit it bears"   God

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #757 on: March 24, 2013, 01:58:26 pm »
Put a rear sight on my smoothie, cast some .690 round balls to test shoot in it.

The first coat of stock finish goes on today.

Turkey season opens Saturday, gotta' work up a load this week.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2013, 05:57:45 pm by Eric Krewson »

Offline Roy

« Reply #758 on: March 24, 2013, 02:25:20 pm »
Had a little Bownanza yesterday in my shop, got 2 bows tillered out on the tree and another ready for the tree.

Offline Roy

« Reply #759 on: March 24, 2013, 02:29:10 pm »

Offline bubby

« Reply #760 on: March 24, 2013, 03:20:35 pm »
that look's like my kind of day Roy
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline sadiejane

« Reply #761 on: March 24, 2013, 03:32:18 pm »

had a little snow last nite so no working on anything outside
the left hand is almost healed well enuf that work on the trade bow and other projects will commence soon.
(not being able to work has been making me nuts!)
its a never gonna get outta my pajamas basketball and old movies sorta day
wild women don't get the blues

Offline Alpinbogen

« Reply #762 on: March 24, 2013, 03:56:52 pm »
Worked on a laquered leather round ball bag, just like this one, but a little bigger.

Offline Alpinbogen

« Reply #763 on: March 24, 2013, 04:05:10 pm »
Also put the staple in my latest French and Indian War powderhorn.  Just need to tie on the strap.

Offline Alpinbogen

« Reply #764 on: March 24, 2013, 04:16:57 pm »
I've also been kayaking since the lake has thawed.  Had a great time today, working on some new Greenland roll variations.  This video is from the same lake a couple of days ago.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UVVK5opo4hw