Author Topic: What Did You Do Today?  (Read 839068 times)

Offline Eric Krewson

Re: What Did You Do Today?
« Reply #1035 on: May 06, 2013, 11:29:31 pm »
It is more like "I don't need wood and I remember what it is like to pound on a sledge hammer and pull on a draw knife for a solid month", I think I will pass on the big trees.

I have osage, yew, hickory, dogwood and mulberry staves and billets in my stash, elm, hackberry, hop horn beam(iron wood), cherry and walnut in standing form on my little patch of woods. Don't need to trade for anything else.

Offline Roy

« Reply #1036 on: May 07, 2013, 12:43:52 am »
Eric, quit rubbing it in... :)

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #1037 on: May 07, 2013, 07:50:28 pm »
I pealed and sealed some osage staves for my stash today.  I tore into a few of my special red ones.  They are purty  8)  Blackhawk and Matt Wirwicki traded me out of some of these at the Classic.  I hope yours look as good as this one.

Both staves were cut at the same time and peeled today. 

I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

blackhawk

« Reply #1038 on: May 08, 2013, 09:11:09 pm »
Wow....those are looking great pal....can't wait to tear into mine...but it might be a bit before I can..next week at the earliest...I love the darker hedge :D

Offline Roy

« Reply #1039 on: May 08, 2013, 10:54:38 pm »
The stave on the left is too green. Ya need to let them season at least 4 to 5 years to be any good.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #1040 on: May 09, 2013, 02:12:01 am »
They are both green Roy.  Both were cut at the same time and both debarked at the same time.  Is your eyesight starting to go at your advanced age?   >:D

Offline MWirwicki

• The wood speaks to you; Listen with your eyes. GSD
« Reply #1041 on: May 09, 2013, 09:44:21 am »
I picked up some lumber and began building a lean-to for my osage.  Seems I'm running out of room in my barn for staves.  Hoping the osage seasons better outside, but still protected from rain.  Plan on finishing today, I'll post pics.
Matt Wirwicki
Owosso, MI

Offline hatcha

« Reply #1042 on: May 09, 2013, 10:47:26 am »
I picked up some lumber and began building a lean-to for my osage.  Seems I'm running out of room in my barn for staves.  Hoping the osage seasons better outside, but still protected from rain.  Plan on finishing today, I'll post pics.

If you add runners up underneath the roof of the lean-to, you could store the staves up on them, just under the roof - it'd make sure the rain never touches them :)

Offline stringstretcher

• Traditionalarcherycommunitysite.com
« Reply #1043 on: May 09, 2013, 06:22:27 pm »
Typical Roy.  Been retired a little over a week now, and already he can not tell green from yellow.  So sad.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #1044 on: May 10, 2013, 02:58:03 pm »
I got a colorful package in the mail today  ;D  I'm saving these babies for something special. 

Offline stringstretcher

• Traditionalarcherycommunitysite.com
« Reply #1045 on: May 10, 2013, 03:57:19 pm »
You sure do get some nice packages there Clint.  Be glad to see those on a bow.  I finally got all my wet stuff dried out, and ready to pack away for next time.  I have been in rain since I left on Monday, and it just stopped sometime last night.  And guess what, more showers this evening and tomorrow.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #1046 on: May 10, 2013, 04:04:12 pm »
That why we packed up Friday night Charlie. I couldnt stand the thought of a truck load of sponges to haul home and dry out/clean up. Next year I may have a tin box hooked to the back of my truck rather than a tent.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #1047 on: May 10, 2013, 05:47:38 pm »
Pearly, make sure you get a tin box big enough to fit an extra snoring bear in case of rain  ;) 

Offline Roy

« Reply #1048 on: May 10, 2013, 07:37:18 pm »
You girls aren't made from sugar, so ya  all won't melt. The real Trad Men stayed and toughed it out. And the sissy pants girls went home early:)

LMAO

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #1049 on: May 10, 2013, 08:12:37 pm »
You girls aren't made from sugar, so ya  all won't melt. The real Trad Men stayed and toughed it out. And the sissy pants girls went home early:)

LMAO

Says the guy that was afraid to ask the wife for permission to go.