Author Topic: What Did You Do Today?  (Read 835589 times)

Offline Josh B

Re: What Did You Do Today?
« Reply #1065 on: May 12, 2013, 05:52:28 pm »
Man!  My day certainly doesn't compare with yours JW !  I spent the morning In Haw river. NC calling all the Moms and grandmas which was pleasant.  I then did laundry and a little house cleaning in the ken-a-bago.  Had lunch and then roughed in a bow.  I'm now in the truckstop enjoying an ice cold ice tea.   That's about the extent of my day.  Josh

Offline cracker

« Reply #1066 on: May 12, 2013, 05:56:08 pm »
Spent my day working on my tractor so I could use it to level a spot for my new smithy so I could make some cool stuff out of steel to take to the local festivals so I could make some money to go to TN next spring and that my friends is the meaning of the great circle of life. Ron
If we can't help each other what is the point of being here?

Offline chamookman

« Reply #1067 on: May 12, 2013, 06:29:38 pm »
GREAT story JW ! Have felt the same way, wearing Buckskins sneakin' the Corn Fields and Hardwoods. Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #1068 on: May 12, 2013, 06:31:10 pm »
It was actually just as much fun duckin' and hiding from the modern intrusion into the woods. 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #1069 on: May 12, 2013, 09:43:54 pm »
Some one else made your yelper JW as I have never made one.

I spent the day sitting, a little surgery in a sensitive area has me grounded for the next week or so.

Have a Chambers English round face lock that still needs the final filing and polish, a good project until I can do normal stuff again.

Offline MWirwicki

• The wood speaks to you; Listen with your eyes. GSD
« Reply #1070 on: May 13, 2013, 08:48:32 am »
Great story, JW!  I enjoyed the read.  Damned that 21st century.  Get's us all of the time.   Let us know when you get that gobbler!  I've been slowly collecting my traditional garb and can't wait to do the same this fall for our elusive whitetail.  My leather trousers are a bit noisy though.  They have noisy beads sewn all through the fringe.  They're cool for kicking around but not very practical for sneakin' and peakin'. 

Eric, hope all turned out well in the sensitive area. 
Matt Wirwicki
Owosso, MI

Offline Stoker

« Reply #1071 on: May 13, 2013, 01:22:21 pm »
Fishing on the river opened Wednesday..But had to work >:( Went out saturday I didn't catch a thing. Others pulled in ten little sturgeon. Biggest one 32" inches. Water is real low waiting for spring runoff. Lots of snow in the Rockies just waiting for it to melt. Would of posted a pic but the computer won't read my card hmmmm.
Thanks Leroy
Bacon is food DUCT tape - Cipriano

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #1072 on: May 13, 2013, 09:20:24 pm »
Put some racer skins on a bow for my niece today. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #1073 on: May 13, 2013, 09:59:49 pm »
Sorry about dragging an innocent into the whole shebang, Eric.  Now I gotta try to remember where I got that wonderful yelper!

Today I was out shortly after dawn.  I lit some newspaper in the bottom of the smoker, added some dry cowpoo, and pumped the bellows until she was smoking darn good.  I smoked the four hives that I'm partnered to keep.  We found three queens working hard laying eggs, the fourth didn't make it.  We'll have to quickly order a new queen to place in the hive.  Apparently they are finding some good sources, because every bee arriving at the hive had huge saddlebags of pollen!

Here's hoping I am desperately dashing around second hand stores this fall looking for jars for all the honey!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Poggins

« Reply #1074 on: May 14, 2013, 01:36:55 am »
How do you like the beekeeping JW , I've got five myself . At one time I was up to fifteen but between bad winters and the droughts I lost most of them. I started with six until a bad storm blew the top off one and the hive filled with rain , there was a few left alive but not enough to make it. The only problem I have is they like to sting me , even got stung in the side of the face today when one flew into me. My brother still has about ten himself , honey flows keep us busy every year, but we have a lot of customers that buy from us so getting rid of it is not hard. I wanted to go through mine but the weather is finally giving them a break and I want them to get built up before everything starts to bloom.

Offline Stoker

« Reply #1075 on: May 14, 2013, 12:41:55 pm »
Finally got the pics up ...First sturgeon of the year...Only way is up :laugh:
Thanks Leroy
Bacon is food DUCT tape - Cipriano

Offline _Jon_

« Reply #1076 on: May 15, 2013, 01:39:57 am »
I watched Pappy work on a hide as I sipped on a soda this afternoon.
Member of "Twin Oaks Bow Hunters,"  Chapmansboro, Tennessee

Offline Wolf Watcher

« Reply #1077 on: May 15, 2013, 10:58:00 am »
Went horn hunting on the ranch for the first time this year.  Put 48 miles on a brand new side by side all on the ranch!  My wife found five big elk horns including a pair. The pair of horns were laying like they just fell off at the very same time which I have never seen before!  Saw where an old cow elk had got hung up in the buffalo fence and the wolves ate her there.  Just hope she was dead when the wolves found her! Saw one really big wolf and a set of very fresh black bear tracks.  Saw six bulls all with a good start on this year's horns and several different bunches of cows.  Also saw a hen turkey just across the river and hope she nests there!  Seeing turkeys is very good news for us!  Going back today to climb a mountain in hopes of finding a moose paddle!  Thanks for reading this!  Joe
Get Close---Shoot Straight

Offline YosemiteBen

« Reply #1078 on: May 15, 2013, 01:14:06 pm »
Sunday May 19th I am planning on heading to an auction. You can check it out on line - Hewletts Auctions in California. Online bidding available.

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #1079 on: May 15, 2013, 02:46:18 pm »
Lastnight I tacked down an alligator skin nearly 8 feet long and my buddy found a dying rat snake I skinned and tacked next to the alligator, reptile Tuesday.

Today I finished a big 55 gallon drum smoker @ work.  I'll post pics in another post when I get the chance.  Pretty good couple of days.  Schools out on the 24th, that's my last day too until the end of July.  Yee Haw, dpg
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)