Author Topic: What Did You Do Today?  (Read 838461 times)

Offline osage outlaw

Re: What Did You Do Today?
« Reply #1080 on: May 15, 2013, 08:18:17 pm »
Derik, I didn't know Indiana gators got that big.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #1081 on: May 15, 2013, 10:40:05 pm »
Sorry about dragging an innocent into the whole shebang, Eric.  Now I gotta try to remember where I got that wonderful yelper!

It was not Eric Krewson that made the came yelper turkey call, it was Jonathon Creason.  I was close, but no cigar.

Took that call and two box calls out this morning at quarter of O'crap.  According to my GPS, I covered 8.11 miles of ridgelines around Shanks Quarry and Wild Irishman Gulch.  And all to absolutely no avail.  I did not get a single gobble ANYWHERE.  The hens should about be setting the eggs by midmorning, leaving the gobblers high and dry without no lovin'.  Normally this is some of the wildest turkey calling, but today was a absolute unmitigated flop. 

Came home about 1:00 p.m. footsore and weary.  Someone showed up and wanted to finish his bow, so I sat in the garage drinking iced tea and telling him what he was doing wrong.  He took his floor tillered red oak pyramid all the way to finish tillered.  He's hitting low 40's at 26 inches and about 45 at 27.  We touched her up with a palm sander and 100 grit sandpaper.  I then sent him home with several grades of finer grit and instructions to wear his arms out. 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline hatcha

« Reply #1082 on: May 16, 2013, 02:43:24 pm »
...and Wild Irishman Gulch. 

Is there a story as to how it got it's name?  :D

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #1083 on: May 16, 2013, 11:04:36 pm »
...and Wild Irishman Gulch. 

Is there a story as to how it got it's name?  :D

Figures an Irishman would ask that question.  And yes, there is a story to how it was named.  Sorry, but that's one story I do not know.   >:(
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline bow101

« Reply #1084 on: May 17, 2013, 12:51:34 am »
Finally got the pics up ...First sturgeon of the year...Only way is up :laugh:
Thanks Leroy

Whoa dats a biggy.... :laugh: :laugh:  Where I live they to get to around 12' long :o
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Offline Poggins

« Reply #1085 on: May 17, 2013, 01:31:23 am »
Feeling under the weather the last couple of days so I took a sick day today ( don't know if it's allergies or a head cold ).
I got tired of setting around the house so I decided to check my beehives . I had to split one to keep it from swarming , two are off to a slow start , two are going strong and one of them didn't seem to want to spread out in their hive so I rearranged the frames to coax them to spread out. I'm off to a slow start this year , all the cold spells have set everything back about a month or so. It will be around the first of July before there will be a lot of honey to pull. Last year I was pulling honey by now and in June I was pulling a super every day the whole month sometimes two.

Online Eric Krewson

« Reply #1086 on: May 17, 2013, 11:37:07 am »
Still walking bowlegged from my minor surgery on a "sensitive" body part so major projects are out.

I decided to start polishing the lock parts on the fowler I built recently. I got the gun turkey hunt ready but never finished the finer points.

The lock starts out as a somewhat rough casting on the outside, the internals are mostly polished and complete from the factory but the outside parts are pretty rough.

Here is the pan and surrounding area before I did much to it.

I have polished out the casting marks on the frizzen and cock but only have the lockplate half done. Hours of sanding to get things smooth and get rid of the casting marks. One has to be careful and not sand away the borders.

« Last Edit: May 19, 2013, 01:09:48 am by Eric Krewson »

Offline Roy

« Reply #1087 on: May 17, 2013, 03:59:56 pm »
Eric how do you polish it? Fine sand paper, steel wool, then a stiff and loose buffing wheel?

Offline stringstretcher

• Traditionalarcherycommunitysite.com
« Reply #1088 on: May 17, 2013, 04:19:22 pm »
Roy.  He is not polishing your toe nails there ole boy...geesshhhhh

Offline Stoker

« Reply #1089 on: May 17, 2013, 06:09:31 pm »
Finally got the pics up ...First sturgeon of the year...Only way is up :laugh:
Thanks Leroy

Whoa dats a biggy.... :laugh: :laugh:  Where I live they to get to around 12' long :o

It was just at opening of season..Think of it like when you go to store and look at tents. They have the small sample ones to let you know what the large one will look like. ;) ;) :) Monday is a holiday might get out fishing.. Full coupla days doing yard work..Smoking a chicken tomorrow (Ya I know their hard to light) figured since I was around all day might as well eat good.
Thanks Leroy
Bacon is food DUCT tape - Cipriano

Online Eric Krewson

« Reply #1090 on: May 17, 2013, 08:56:28 pm »
Roy, the frizzen is hardened so a file won't touch it, lots of work with some cloth backed 320 grit paper followed by some 320 wet or dry which cuts much slower, then a trip through a worn out flap wheel sander on my drill press, probably 3 hours of sanding for the frizzen alone.

The other parts aren't hardened so I could file off the mold lines with a needle file and then follow the same sanding routine.

Offline Roy

« Reply #1091 on: May 17, 2013, 09:24:48 pm »
Eric, have you ever tried a buffing wheel? I have a setup on a 1/2 inch steel shaft supported by two pillow blocks. I have a stitched muslin wheel on one end and a loose muslin wheel on the other end. The wheels turn at 3600 rpms through pulley sizing driven with a 1/3 hp motor.  I buy polishing compound from a knife supplier. Coarse and fine. I can make a rusty nail look like chrome in a couple minutes. Same setup also puts one heck of a razor edge on a knife in a couple minutes.

Online Eric Krewson

« Reply #1092 on: May 18, 2013, 08:58:17 am »
When I get to this stage I can turn them into a mirror with a Dremel buffing wheel and some polishing compound but am going for the satin look on these.

After I get the pan sanded out I will turn it into a mirror so it will trap less fowling.

Offline Roy

« Reply #1093 on: May 18, 2013, 08:47:57 pm »
Today I had to babysit Trapper Rob:)

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #1094 on: May 18, 2013, 09:02:03 pm »
I'm guessing it was the other way around Roy. 

Today I dyed a bow pink  :o
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left