Author Topic: What Did You Do Today?  (Read 838859 times)

Offline Roy

Re: What Did You Do Today?
« Reply #1320 on: August 01, 2013, 05:15:55 pm »
So sorry, Eric. Will be praying for her.

Offline YosemiteBen

« Reply #1321 on: August 01, 2013, 08:18:40 pm »
Eric - I will continue to pray for your wife and you during this ordeal.

Sadie - RICE Rest-ice-compresses-elevation Take care of it before you lose it! Maybe you need to take a vacation to Yosemite for some cold river swims for the Ice part!

Offline Olanigw (Pekane)

« Reply #1322 on: August 01, 2013, 08:52:33 pm »
Eric, I pray that your wife beats that beast.
"Good enough" is the enemy of great
PN501018

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #1323 on: August 01, 2013, 09:14:40 pm »
Eric, I'm still here with you.  Prayers for your wife, you, and your whole extended family. 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Roy

« Reply #1324 on: August 02, 2013, 10:05:17 pm »
My cherry cool aid and chicken works, 3 hits in two nights and my wife got this small female tonight. Cell phone and getting dark so video is not the best.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7uNBCiWcMgw&feature=youtu.be

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #1325 on: August 02, 2013, 10:59:55 pm »
Lemme see...what did I do today?  There was something, it's kinda fuzzy, not sure I am remembering this right, but....oh yeah!

I RUINED THE BOW I AM DOING FOR THE TRADE!

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #1326 on: August 03, 2013, 12:46:36 am »
Today I got to talk bows and arrows with strangers for 4 hours.  The local tourism office promotes "First Fridays" where they have a small festival on the first Friday of every summer month.  This was the second year they asked me to come and set up.  The theme this month was William Tell.  They had an archery range set up for kids to shoot.  They were raising money for the NASP.  There was supposed to be somebody making arrows but he didn't show up.  I set up a table with several finished bows and arrows and some other stuff to draw peoples attention.  I had a couple bows that were in progress as well as some hunting arrows I was working on.  On one side of me was a band playing some rockabilly, blues, oldies, and jazz.  They could really play.  I looked over at one point and the bass player had it laying on its side and he was standing on top of it strumming away.  On the other side of me was an old hit and skip motor that they were using to make ice cream.   The people there were very interested in what I had on display.  A snake skin backed bow really catches peoples eye.  I had a few guys that  inquired about making their own bow.  One guy talked to me for a long time about sinew backing a bow.  He has made a couple of bows but wants to learn how to apply sinew.  He tans a lot of deer hides so we worked out a trade, he shows me how to tan a hide and I'll show him how to back a bow.  I had a great evening.  My Dad was with me and he enjoyed it as much as I did.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #1327 on: August 03, 2013, 12:49:34 am »
Not surprised your bows drew attention, Clint.  Functional art works, they are.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #1328 on: August 03, 2013, 01:00:42 am »
Thanks but mine weren't the only ones on the table.  I had a couple from some very talented bowyers

Offline Poggins

« Reply #1329 on: August 04, 2013, 03:19:59 pm »
Pulled three suers of honey early this morning , went as fast as I could trying to beat the heat and used a little more smoke than I like so I staggered the supers and put a fan on top to move some air through them for a while . In my rush missed a few bees on some bur comb and when I went to pick it up I got nailed in the center my index finger , first time I've been stung there and it swoll a little ( just thought they were going to miss me , they almost always stinge once ).

Offline bubby

« Reply #1330 on: August 05, 2013, 02:16:51 am »
started to shoot in a bow and blew it up, got mad, calmed down and got the backup almost to brace, then worked on my cigar box guitar project, then shot a bit just before dark trying to get locked in for bow season
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline TRACY

« Reply #1331 on: August 05, 2013, 02:01:29 pm »
Back to school :P

Got a couple days before the students start, but its hard to get back into the routine of the job.

Love teaching and looking forward to another good year. ;) Got to figure out how to align the standards to flint knapping and bow making in science ;D

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline bubby

« Reply #1332 on: August 05, 2013, 02:48:12 pm »
lots of science involved with bending wood, arrow flight and conical flake removal
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline TRACY

« Reply #1333 on: August 06, 2013, 07:42:06 am »
lots of science involved with bending wood, arrow flight and conical flake removal

I agree. We don't cover physics at this grade level, just life and chemistry.

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #1334 on: August 06, 2013, 08:57:14 am »
Tracy, our kids went back to school last Friday.  At least you got a few extra days of summer vacation.