Author Topic: What Did You Do Today?  (Read 835656 times)

Offline Roy

Re: What Did You Do Today?
« Reply #1455 on: September 20, 2013, 01:04:21 pm »
Started another tri lam. Osage belly, walnut core lam, backed with boo and a cocobolo riser.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #1456 on: September 23, 2013, 12:04:58 am »
I went road trimming, squirrel hunting and armadillo blasting on the land I hunt. Lots of limbs had grown over the roads that needed to be removed. I carried my 22 pistol for squirrels and armadillos. The squirrels were elusive but I did run into a couple of armadillos having a love in. I shot the first one that came by or at least I thought I shot it, emptied my gun at the one bringing up the rear, finally got it. Now with an empty gun the first one starts walking off like nothing happened and got away before I could reload, it may have had a hole in it, the other was grave yard dead.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #1457 on: September 23, 2013, 11:50:58 pm »
Today I saw two guys on a highway riding a scooter.  The guy on the back was holding a block target off to the side and looked to be fighting the wind quite a bit.  I'm guessing they went to walmart for some last minute supplies before bow season starts.  I wish I could have got a picture of them.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #1458 on: September 24, 2013, 03:01:24 pm »
Roy, As I was looking at the clamped bow a nagging thirst came over me....then I saw the PBR poster and thought, just a couple more hours and work will be over.  :)  Cool pic, lots of clamps :o

Have a gooder, dpgratz
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #1459 on: September 24, 2013, 03:54:15 pm »
Eric Im not familiar with armadillos. Are they a nuisance critter? Why kill them I guess Im asking. Keep in mind Im all for shooting stuff, just curious is all.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Marks

« Reply #1460 on: September 24, 2013, 04:59:32 pm »
They aren't native here in North Alabama. They dig a lot of holes and are most often seen as roadkill. I've heard they spread diseases but I don't know for sure.

This isn't a reason to kill them but it is amazing how well they sound like a deer walking in the woods. If you think you hear a deer walking but it never really goes anywhere its probly an armadillo.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #1461 on: September 24, 2013, 06:15:43 pm »
If you own a golf course you have reason to kill'em

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #1462 on: September 24, 2013, 07:20:43 pm »
Sounds alot like our woodchucks.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #1463 on: September 24, 2013, 07:36:21 pm »
We've got a few in Western KY, Guess they move up the Mississippi from Louiseana.  They seem to be a cross between a possum, groundhog and a roll-e-poley on steroids.
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #1464 on: September 24, 2013, 09:22:18 pm »
Today I helped my Dad get his three ladder stands set up.  Sometimes he forgets how old he is and does stuff he shouldn't.  He usually gives me a look and says, "don't tell your mother I'm doing this".   He had to chop off that limb to get his stand tucked up into that old osage tree.

He isn't afraid to take his old riding lawnmower off road either.  He had to cut a trail to that tree so he could put a stand in it. 

Offline Marks

« Reply #1465 on: September 25, 2013, 10:18:50 am »
Sounds alot like our woodchucks.

How much wood do yalls woodchuck chuck? That is if they actually can chuck wood of course.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #1466 on: September 25, 2013, 10:20:10 am »
Ive never seen one chuck a lick of wood, liars.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #1467 on: September 25, 2013, 10:27:39 am »
Armadillos and deer hunting land don't go together. They become so numerous you may have 4 or 5 come out of their holes at prime deer hunting time and root like miniature pigs all around the base of your stand, wattling to and fro and sounding like someone is dragging a log chain through the woods. You will almost never see a deer when the dillas are about.

The only solution for over population is to thin the herd, they don't have any natural enemies, coyotes won't kill them and will only eat them after you shoot them.

We had 125 acres of prime hunting land that became over run with armadillos to the extent that we seldom saw deer anymore. I went on a mission to thin them out, killed 25 and the land became prime deer hunting land again.

I killed 11 two years ago on the 350 acres we hunt now and it looks like they are rebounding to the point that another concentrated effort to remove them is going to be necessary.

We didn't have the first one on our current hunting land until 5 years ago. They are spreading north and like wild hogs when you have them you have them and nothing can get rid of them.

One observation I have made from killing so many is you can walk right up to the first couple you shoot. After your initial kill, you can find one a mile away and it will run from you before you can get within 50 yards of it. They must send out some high pitched, ultrasonic danger sound when you blast one that puts every other armadillo in the area on high alert. This has been my observation and has no scientific basis what so ever.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2013, 11:00:00 am by Eric Krewson »

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #1468 on: September 25, 2013, 10:40:59 am »
I have one small 30 acre farm I hunt that is over run with coons. Wild grapes grow in the dead walnut and elm trees like a vineyard. Its not uncommon to see a 8-12 coons in the daylight. They ruin the hunting similar to your little rooters do. I cant bring myself to shoot a pile of coons though. I don't want them and I don't want to skin or freeze them. So they live on and I just grumble and wait for decline.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #1469 on: September 25, 2013, 10:54:49 am »
I understand coon problems as well and left them alone until I went to my garden and found what was left of my corn patch.

I trapped and shot 11 that year, fed them to the coyotes.

They regularly tore up my wife's bird feeders so I continued to shoot and trap them when they became a nuisance, probably killed 20 or so in all.

Since my wife died I have taken down all the feeders, cut all the fruit trees that they stole every piece of fruit from and don't expect to have any more trouble from them. If anymore show up I will blast them as well and fatten the coyotes with their carcases.