Author Topic: What Did You Do Today?  (Read 838881 times)

Offline Poggins

Re: What Did You Do Today?
« Reply #1485 on: September 27, 2013, 05:35:58 pm »
My supervisor handed me two rattlers today , one large dimondback and a smaller pigmy or velvet tail, I'll get pics when I get home , the big one is hole and has been in a freezer and the smaller one has been skinned already . I hope the dimondback is long enough to cover the bow I'm building for him ( I'm sure when I give it to him the bunch that he hunts with will keep me supplied with rattlers, they cook them every once and a while but I think they just throw the skins away ).

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #1486 on: September 28, 2013, 05:01:40 pm »
Spent the day getting"stuff" ready to deer hunt this evening. Tested my broad head arrows, one flew poorly, put the broad head on a different arrow, great flight now. Stuck one woodsman in a tree with a high shot at my broad head target, real good penetration on a red oak. I found you can't extract one from a tree without ruining it, made up another arrow to make four for my quiver, all fly really good, sharpened all the broadheads to shaving sharp.

Now it is dragging out my tree stands, safety harness, and the multitude of nick-knacks I put in my cat quiver pack.

In spite of all my gear I will probably set up on the ground and just observe this evening, now where did I put my hammock seat?

A footnote;

I didn't see any deer but did notice hogs had torn up a food plot I just planted. No hogs on the place 3 years ago but hog sign has been abundant in the last year or so. Never seen one, I suspect they are nocturnal, time to make a trap.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2013, 12:49:29 pm by Eric Krewson »

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #1487 on: September 30, 2013, 03:00:02 pm »
I played around in the shop a bit yesterday. Added the "R" to my R/D yew project. Bent like rubber and stayed put.  Im excited about the outcome of this bugger.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Poggins

« Reply #1488 on: September 30, 2013, 09:57:52 pm »
I got the pics of the snakes to finally load .

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #1489 on: October 02, 2013, 11:42:26 am »
Been tied up for the last 14 months and let the house go, little by little I am getting it back into shape. Yesterday I started cleaning my deck, hand scrubbing it from top to bottom to get rid of the mold and dirt. The foreground has been done, the background is todays project, notice how black the siding is near the ceiling.

Another footnote; after 5 hours on a ladder hand scrubbing every part of the deck from floor to celing I am done, looks much better.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2013, 07:39:49 pm by Eric Krewson »

Offline YosemiteBen

« Reply #1490 on: October 04, 2013, 12:57:13 am »
Being on furlough - not as much as I should have!

Offline Olanigw (Pekane)

« Reply #1491 on: October 06, 2013, 08:12:27 am »
Today I get my motorcycle license, then get my materials for the Christmas present.
"Good enough" is the enemy of great
PN501018

Offline TRACY

« Reply #1492 on: October 06, 2013, 08:50:07 am »
Being on furlough - not as much as I should have!

Hope this is short term Ben. I would say you could have some more knapping time, but your one of a few that I know that actually gets to knap at work :D

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline Poggins

« Reply #1493 on: October 06, 2013, 10:43:43 pm »
Worked on my hunting spot today , yesterday I stood in a little patch of trees and let six walk around me , lost track of the doe without fawns so I didn't take one.
I cleared me a path so I could get to the spot silently and made me a blind out of brush and some old plywood that was there . I hunted the blind this evening and had a small five point at the feeder about sixty yards away , after he left the doe without fawns came in by herself , after feeding at the feeder for a while she came within ten yards of me and offered several good shots , I didn't draw on her because of work tomorrow and I would have to process her tonight and not get much sleep . I'm carrying a bow given to me by a good friend and mentor Ralph Renfro and a stone point I made myself .

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #1494 on: October 09, 2013, 12:16:52 am »
Hunted this evening, saw 7, passed on a chip shot on a doe, didn't feel like killing her, getting old I guess.

Offline Marks

« Reply #1495 on: October 09, 2013, 10:34:15 am »
Moved my trail cam one last time before bow season starts next week. I had 2 cameras last year but for the life of me I can't find one of them. I don't know if it is on a tree somewhere or hidden well at home so I'm down to 1 at the moment. Squirrel season is open now so I took the dogs. Boone treed 1 squirrel and surprisingly I found it in all the leaves. That's hard to do this time of year. Lila treed a chipmunk and Boone caught it on the ground when it tried to make a run for it. Seen a big fat doe on the way in. I'd say overall it was a good afternoon.

Offline Stoker

« Reply #1496 on: October 09, 2013, 11:24:42 am »
Played around in the shop.. Building a powder horn outta buffalo horn.. Can't walk around the great plains of western Canada with a smoke pole and not look good...
Thanks Leroy
Bacon is food DUCT tape - Cipriano

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #1497 on: October 09, 2013, 08:26:58 pm »
Had one of those gratifying days where your bow student walks off with his first completed selfbow. Hickory bow, a little string follow, dead in the hand, no hand shock and really spits out an arrow.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #1498 on: October 09, 2013, 09:01:51 pm »
Had one of those gratifying days where your bow student walks off with his first completed selfbow. Hickory bow, a little string follow, dead in the hand, no hand shock and really spits out an arrow.

In one little corner of the world, for just a while, everything was good like it should be.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline criveraville

• Psalm 127:4
« Reply #1499 on: October 10, 2013, 01:10:10 am »
I got the pics of the snakes to finally load .

Nice snakes! What type is that bottom one?

Cipriano
I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.