Author Topic: What Did You Do Today?  (Read 845227 times)

Offline Eric Krewson

Re: What Did You Do Today?
« Reply #1560 on: November 23, 2013, 10:54:43 am »
Windy, wet and cold today, think I will stay home, work on my shop clean up project, splice some billets for a friend and cast some round balls for my new 12ga fowler.

I ordered a custom mold from a guy in England, the only place I could get a .700 mold, curious to see how well it works.

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #1561 on: November 23, 2013, 07:03:24 pm »
Got more mulberry wood.........................
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #1562 on: November 23, 2013, 08:40:08 pm »
I also repaired a turkey target I bought after a tournament for $5, it sold cheap because the head was broken off. Gorilla glue will put it back together as good as new and it will never break where it did before. I will remove the nails after the glue cures.

Got my billets spliced, put a tent over them and a drop light under them to warm them so the urac will cure.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #1563 on: November 24, 2013, 01:24:56 am »
Today I wore blue jeans  :o   It was the first time in many years.  I'm the idiot you see wearing shorts and a winter coat when its cold outside.  For some reason I hate long pants.  I have a couple of pair of work pants that I wear if I'm working in the cold or waking through the woods.  Yesterday a coworker gave me some jeans that didn't fit him any more.  Today my daughter ran a 5K race and it was cold and windy.  I decided I would give them a try.  When my kids saw me come out of the bedroom in jeans they both started laughing.  Neither could remember ever seeing me wear them and they are 12 and 14.  It wasn't to bad, I survived the day. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline YosemiteBen

« Reply #1564 on: November 24, 2013, 11:19:04 am »
started my vacation! Going to my dads house tonight and then on to Oregon! Our newest grandchild may have arrived by then. Welcome #5! Bend, home of Keenan, plan on spending some time with him while we are there, Portland perhaps, Glass buttes depending on the weather. Turkey day at the new inlaws place.

Happy thanksgiving to all and to all a good nosh!

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #1565 on: November 25, 2013, 10:09:05 am »
Killed a big doe with my flintlock. She fell in the back of a grown up field a long way from the truck and no way to drive to her. I just happened to have a wheelbarrow in my truck from some firewood hauling, found  it makes on fine deer cart.

Would have pics but the batteries were dead in my camera.

Offline ErictheViking

« Reply #1566 on: November 25, 2013, 12:26:09 pm »
Congratulations Eric!
"He that but looketh on a plate of ham and eggs to lust after it hath already committed breakfast with it in his heart"  C.S. Lewis

Stringman

« Reply #1567 on: November 25, 2013, 01:29:46 pm »
About a week ago I wrote about my late night adventure tracking my buddies wounded buck. This morning I get a text from another friend that hunts in that area.

It seems the big guy would have made it. Needless to say, my buddy was much relieved to hear  the rest of this story. Apparently his hit was higher than he had thought, but this deer was certainly worth shootin at!

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #1568 on: November 25, 2013, 10:05:41 pm »
Goes a long way to explaining why he wasn't found.  Nice buck.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #1569 on: November 28, 2013, 12:53:01 am »
Today at work I get a text from the wife that says "the deer tendons are a bit much!"  I don't know whats wrong with her.  I don't see a problem with 100 deer leg tendons drying in the kitchen.  I'm just glad she hasn't found the coffee can full of them in the fridge  >:D
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #1570 on: November 28, 2013, 02:12:57 pm »
Clint, where ever you are right now, take a moment and give serious thanks that she just sent you a text message on the subject.  Buy her flowers and say you are sorry.  Most guys would have come home to find their stuff in a smoking pile in the driveway!!!

She is a keeper!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #1571 on: November 28, 2013, 03:59:00 pm »
Amen JW !!!!
Giver her a big hug Clint !
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline Poggins

« Reply #1572 on: December 01, 2013, 10:37:02 pm »
Worked on a bow ,done my chores , and spent almost three hours looking for blood after shooting a doe , found my arrow eighty yards from where I shot her . I was into blind posting about a bow I'm working on when I heard the tall grass rustle and seen movent, I sat my phone down and picked my bow up . Five deer ( does and fawns) feed out in front of me , they acted a little spooky at first but seamed to calm down . I picked a doe out to shoot but had to wait for the others to move from behind her , when the others were clear I drew back and let the string loose when I came to anchor . When the string left my fingers the deer exploded and my arrow hit the doe in the shoulder hitting bone and stopping . I had a hard time keeping up with her as they scattered but managed to see where she went into the timber . I finishedy post and went to the house to get a light and give her some time ( I didn't know at the time that my arrow didn't get the job done ) , after getting back to where she was standing I didn't find any blood . I began to fallow the trail she went down and when I got to the fence separating my pastures I still couldn't find any blood . By now I wa starting to worry , I zig zagged through the woods where she went in and finally found my arrow in the briers , I could see her tracks and still found no blood . My point suffered a chip on one edge and split the arrow shaft a little behind the point , very little blood on the arrow but some meat and hair . I continued to look for over an hour without any blood and decided she wasn't down . I really wanted to find her and have the satisfaction of taking a deer with a stone point that I made . I'll clean it up and look it over , may be able to use it again .

Offline Mattyp

« Reply #1573 on: December 01, 2013, 11:56:10 pm »
Hi Everybody!

I am new to this website and thought I would say "hi" whilst telling you about my rather wonderful day...or days really.  Today I just got back from seeing my good Brother Yosemite Ben.  We talked about Keenan, whom I met the last time Ben was in Bend.  I was hoping to hang out with Keenan and Ben, but Keenan had some cool stuff going on and was busy...looks like I will have to do a trip with them out looking for obsidian later!  But to my luck, Ben had some and gave me some wonderful pieces.  Really excited to learn knapping and practicing.

Two days prior, went out and got some wood to build a shaving horse.  My good friend Greg helped me with that...

Stuff just keeps lining up.  I really feel drawn to this.  I have three boys and they go to a Waldorf school out here in Hillsboro were we live.  They really focus on getting the children reconnected to the earth and working with it. I have been working with the kids and want to build shave horses with them and teach them to make bows, canoe paddles, rakes,.....anything that gets them connected and interested in building with their hands.  I have been studying the native people of the northwest...something I have been interested in since I was a small boy here playing in the creeks, streams, and fields wondering about those that lived here before us.  The school we are a part of have a farm property on the outskirts of town on Mckay creek, just next to Camp Ireland.  We are preparing to build the school & farm campus out there and have to take down a bunch of cedar trees.  My desire with those is to bring in a native carver and do a couple of dugout canoes and to possibly have a native weaver show us how to harvest the cedar bark and weave with it. I envision a bunch of shave horses out there, so that we can teach the children and invite the community to come out and share in our experiences.  I have begun my search for draw knives and spoke shaves and am preparing a stock of wood to make paddles, and hope to learn how to find staves for bows (another good reason to go visit Keenan again!) and get a stock of those put together.  Lots of things to do and to learn, but I am on the path and life is responding!  So excited to learn and to pass this on to the children.  I think reconnecting the kids to being outside and off of screens will help them to be more responsible, connected, contributing adults is the ticket!  I just wanted to share my excitement for the journey and see what connections I can make in my home town.  Anybody out here in Hillsboro and the surrounding area that I might meet up with and discuss skills & techniques?  I also have a heavy duty sewing business and work on canvas, leather, and other heavy duty fabric items.  Look forward to making new friends and maybe getting some shavings on the ground out at the school farm and property!

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #1574 on: December 02, 2013, 08:59:56 pm »
I started a bow for a young man(26) with cerebral palsy. His mom asked if she could buy one of my bows for him, won't be any buying involved. His body is twisted, arms drawn up, he requires an electric wheelchair for mobility and has difficulty with his speech but asked for a bow so he can go "deer hunting". Of course drawing a bow will be impossible for him so he doesn't need one but like an elderly friend told me one time "when you want something what does need have to do with it".

I will make it just light enough so I can get a string on it a low brace and leave it strung. This way it will be about 100 pound pull and none of his brother's he-man friends, or anyone else who happens by can pull it back and break it.

A friend donated a bow quiver for the project so the bow, the quiver and few blunt tipped arrows for safety will have the young man cruising the gravel roads around his rural house looking for deer.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2013, 02:49:41 pm by Eric Krewson »