Author Topic: What Did You Do Today?  (Read 837945 times)

Offline Eric Krewson

Re: What Did You Do Today?
« Reply #1590 on: December 19, 2013, 01:42:51 pm »
Finished the bow for the young man with cerebral palsy, came out nice and really smokes an arrow. Hickory, 50" NTN, 60#@20" (so no one can pull it back and break it.).

Offline Adam

« Reply #1591 on: December 19, 2013, 01:45:40 pm »
Wow Eric!  That's a beauty on its own, but the story behind it makes it all the better.

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #1592 on: December 19, 2013, 05:34:54 pm »
Great job Eric, can tell by the looks of that bow that you put your heart into crafting it. Should be very rewarding when you hand that one off.
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline IdahoMatt

« Reply #1593 on: December 19, 2013, 11:44:03 pm »
Good for you Eric.  Great job and a great deed.  I love this community for how selfless people are.  That bow is looking sweet

Offline YosemiteBen

« Reply #1594 on: December 21, 2013, 12:36:14 pm »
This is the moon setting on Eagle Peak at Sunrise in Yosemite National Park.

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #1595 on: December 21, 2013, 07:20:30 pm »
Finally got some time and did a little work on a bow.....work'n on a sinew backed osage recurve.  thanks to osage outlaw I've got some premium sinew.  I've had trouble with thin ringed osage staves, but I picked one out today and got it down to floor tillering.

Pat B got my adrenalin (SP)?? going on a sinew backed bow.  We'll see how it turns out.  I've done some research, but I may have a few questions as it goes.  I'll posts some pictures in the bow section in a couple of days.
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline Poggins

« Reply #1596 on: December 22, 2013, 11:33:51 am »
I've been in a plow truck the last couple of nights fighting the ice we've had this last storm , taking care of my neighbors cattle and dogs while they are visiting family in Louisiana for a little over a week , and helping another freind set hay out and get ready for a trip .
I'm beat , two twelve hour night shifts and everything else on only six hours sleep , going to get some rest then go feed cattle . I only have to work another four hours and my week is done , think I'll get a saw out and remove trees that have broken off and fell on fences along the pike so I don't get called out the rest of the week , it'll give me a chance to finish a bow and work on some of the items for the raffle and auction at our OSS banquet ( I also promised to provide a couple of osage staves for Mark Baker , author of the book "Tension On The String " , he will be our guest speaker at the banquet ).

Hope everyone has a safe and happy Christmas and New Year .

Offline chamookman

« Reply #1597 on: December 22, 2013, 12:00:32 pm »
Been listening to Breaking Branches since about 4:00 am, due to the Ice Storm here in Mid-Michigan. My yard is a mess, gonna take Me till Spring to clean up. Lucky to have power, LOTS of places without. will have some good Maple firewood tho  O:). Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #1598 on: December 23, 2013, 01:17:19 am »
Finally got some time and did a little work on a bow.....work'n on a sinew backed osage recurve.  thanks to osage outlaw I've got some premium sinew.  I've had trouble with thin ringed osage staves, but I picked one out today and got it down to floor tillering.

Pat B got my adrenalin (SP)?? going on a sinew backed bow.  We'll see how it turns out.  I've done some research, but I may have a few questions as it goes.  I'll posts some pictures in the bow section in a couple of days.
DBar

Have you glued any of that sinew down yet?
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #1599 on: December 23, 2013, 09:40:13 am »
Bought a new Summit Viper tree stand, spent the afternoon re-engineering the strap system so I can use my military Alice pack straps on the stand.  I added carpet on the platform and foam pipe insulation with stick on felt on the rails to make it quiet.

« Last Edit: December 23, 2013, 09:49:09 am by Eric Krewson »

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #1600 on: December 23, 2013, 07:51:15 pm »

DBar

Have you glued any of that sinew down yet?

Naw.....not yet.  I got the fades bending pretty good with some floor tillering and decided to get the steamer out and add the recurves.  Put some pretty tight (Pearl type) bends in it, 
Did a little dry heat aligning of the tips tonight......I know I've got to get some pictures taken and start a post in the bow section. their coming. 
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #1601 on: December 26, 2013, 09:24:18 pm »
I got a call early this morning from the local Mendards.  They had a great horned own down in their semi-indoor garden center.  When I got there the bird was laying on her side panting. Not a good sign.  I scooped her up and took her home.

Working on transport to the rehab facility over in Pierre, SD.  Meanwhile, I thought I could help her out a little and started her on 30 cc's of Pedialyte to alleviate her dehydration. She wasn't able to put up a lick of fight, so I didn't get bit.  She got two more 30 cc drinks of Pedialyte during the day and was starting to struggle just a bit.  Hopefully tomorrow morning she will be standing on her own power and I can move her up to some simple carbs and proteins.  Feeding her a real meal at this point could kill her. 

I am guessing by her state of emaciation that she got trapped indoors at the Menards Garden Center for about a week until she was so weakened she fell out of the rafters where she had hidden. She's a really dark great horned owl, so the white throat patch really shows up when she pants.  I kinda hope she makes it, I've already grown attached to this bird. 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline YosemiteBen

« Reply #1602 on: December 27, 2013, 12:39:30 pm »
Well JW glad you got the call and are able to care for her.

On the way to work this morning I had to stop and dispatch a little buck. I think he got hit by the snow plow. back was broken and hind legs were mangled. front half was still moving good. I released him from his misery and took his little antlers. I may stop and get his legs this afternoon. He got hit so hard his haunches were turned to jelly. I was guessing the plow due to the fact that there was no glass or anything nearby. Makes the third deer in two weeks during the plow passes as they clear rock and lay down sand.

Once I got into the park, a Red Shoulder hawk flew up from the roads edge across the front of my van and was just tickled by my antenna, it passed safely to the river and avoided being crushed by my beast of a van.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #1603 on: December 27, 2013, 09:55:44 pm »
And what did that owl do to thank me for the supportive care I have given her???  She took a huge, greasy, wet, stinky, green dump on my kitchen floor.  Good thing I had not even had coffee by then.  It was so bad I retched, and I got a very strong stomach!!!

I had to remind myself that great horned owls eat a lot of skunks.  The same skunks that predate heavily on grouse, pheasant, partridge, and waterfowl nests.  This particular bird better pay me back by surviving and getting back out in the wild where she can maintain some control on those nest robbers. She owes me big time!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #1604 on: December 31, 2013, 12:09:40 pm »
I'm just glad to hear it wasn't a huge chunk of your skin, John. That would show less appreciation.  ;D
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC