Author Topic: What Did You Do Today?  (Read 837948 times)

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
Re: What Did You Do Today?
« Reply #1755 on: February 26, 2014, 08:24:48 pm »
Had a few gallons of maple sap I'd collected and was cooking down on the wood stove then it got cold again so I finished it off tonight. First half pint of what I hope will become more. Can't wait for Sunday morning pancakes! De-lishous!!

Now to start a sheath.

Have a gooder!! dp
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline Marks

« Reply #1756 on: February 26, 2014, 11:30:46 pm »
What did you boil it down on?

Offline bowtarist

« Reply #1757 on: February 27, 2014, 01:11:32 pm »
What did you boil it down on?
[/quote

Most of it was done in a 2 gallon stainless stock pot on the wood stove, kept adding to it as it boiled down. I finished it off on the gas stove range in two separate pots, a quart pot to start with then a smaller one for the finale. Strained it through a doubled cheese cloth right off the range into a pint jar then poured it into this half pint jar. dp

Offline bubby

« Reply #1758 on: February 27, 2014, 05:31:01 pm »
got some strings made and put about 30 arrows thru a bow im starting to shoot in, weather is bad and i'm still sick, might even stay home from work tonite
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline YosemiteBen

« Reply #1759 on: March 01, 2014, 06:20:13 pm »
For my work week I have been attached to the Range of Light Film Festival in Yosemite National Park. I am a standby gopher. I have been watching movies mostly about rock climbing and not really doing anything else.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #1760 on: March 02, 2014, 08:41:22 am »
We had to bury my beloved gramps on Friday, he and I where tight. He was 89 years old and lived a healthy, independent life right up until 2-3 years ago. So it was a welcome relief for he and us when his time came. We have a HUGE family with lots of aunts, uncles, grandkids and great-grandkids. I was incredibly lucky......gramps left me his 1953 "Sweet Sixteen". Ill post some pics once I get it home. My dad ruined it in the 70's and I repaired it in the mid 90's as a surprise for gramps, it worked!
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline koan

• Brian D. Mo.
« Reply #1761 on: March 02, 2014, 09:13:44 am »
Sorry to hear bout your Gramps Chris..the Sweet 16 is cool tho..we had one in our family but someone got swindled out of it. Glad to hear theres still some around.. Brian
When you complement a lady on her dress.....make sure she is the one wearing it.....

Offline bubby

« Reply #1762 on: March 02, 2014, 02:19:19 pm »
glad you have those memories Chris, I only knew my step gramps and never got to meet the other two, sorry for your loss, bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline bowtarist

« Reply #1763 on: March 02, 2014, 05:46:06 pm »
That's tough Buddy. Sounds like you are taking it well. He'll not be forgotten  by your family. My condolences all the same. dp

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #1764 on: March 03, 2014, 08:35:25 am »
Thanks for the words guys. Yah, Im taking it well Derik. I realized just how lucky I was to have a grandpa in my life until I was 41 yrs old. Not to mention the way of life and work ethic he passed on to me. I owe it all to him and his influence on me. What a stud he was! Dad and I have his Purple Heart and Gold Star medals. We are going to make a case to keep them, his burial flag, his 21 gun salute casings and his VFW hat. Ill snap and post  some pics when we get that project all done.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #1765 on: March 03, 2014, 09:16:30 am »
Sounds like he was a pretty amazing person.  Sorry for your loss buddy.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #1766 on: March 03, 2014, 09:35:54 am »
Very amazing Clintster. I could talk for hours about the things he did and the things that happened to him over 89 years. I don't have to meet every man in the world to know there isn't any like him.

Offline Buffalogobbler

« Reply #1767 on: March 03, 2014, 09:36:18 am »
Sounds like the kind of man we all aspire to be, sorry for your loss Chris.

kevin
Beer is living proof that god loves us and wants us to be happy-Ben Franklin

Offline seabass

« Reply #1768 on: March 03, 2014, 09:45:46 am »
sorry for your loss Chris.i lost my grandpa when he was 88.i miss him every day.i kept the shell casing from the salute also.
Middletown,Ohio

Offline bowtarist

« Reply #1769 on: March 03, 2014, 10:06:46 am »
Cooked down some more maple sap yesterday nearly 5 gallons +. Got a whole pint of syrup this time!!!  ::) ;D ;D Got cold again, so we are in the waiting game again for sap.

I went to my uncles funeral a few weeks ago and kept several of the casings. Gave one to each of my boys and kept two for blunts. There were some other Dads there picking them up and I said, "You can tell we are country folk when the Dads and Granddads are picking up casings to give to the kids." Guess we ain't the only ones.