Author Topic: What Did You Do Today?  (Read 835661 times)

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: What Did You Do Today?
« Reply #1875 on: April 25, 2014, 04:03:43 pm »
Cant even imagine the fight a striper that big gives, great fish Zuma.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Zuma

« Reply #1876 on: April 25, 2014, 04:39:42 pm »
Thanks fellows,
LOL this is me.
That's my buddy Uva. He looks better the way he was holding the fish.
He thought we were stuck on the bottom.
Thanks for the tips. I will have to save more animal parts as I learn.
Got the lower jaw and upper teeth off a beaver the other day.
It was putrefying on the Ohio River bank. yuck
I know that when I had the skin filleted off the fish I was thinking I bet I could tan that hide. They were at least 30 inches long. There was so much of that fish that went back to nature. Oh well live and learn right here on PA.
Zuma
If you are a good detective the past is at your feet. The future belongs to Faith.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #1877 on: April 25, 2014, 04:56:06 pm »
You don't have to tan the hides to use them as a bow backing.  Just skin them, scrape all the meat and fat off, then tack them down on a board to air dry.  I did some walleye skins that way. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Zuma

« Reply #1878 on: April 26, 2014, 12:08:28 pm »
You don't have to tan the hides to use them as a bow backing.  Just skin them, scrape all the meat and fat off, then tack them down on a board to air dry.  I did some walleye skins that way.

Gracious, I don't know how many Red Drum, Black Drum, Red Snapper and
 grouper skins I could have saved. I am not much at bow building but I won't waste the skins from now on. I always fillet the skin off and then dump them in the bay with the carcase. Thanks to you guys, I have learned a lot.
Thanks Zuma
« Last Edit: April 26, 2014, 12:12:02 pm by Zuma »
If you are a good detective the past is at your feet. The future belongs to Faith.

Offline YosemiteBen

« Reply #1879 on: April 26, 2014, 12:28:25 pm »
Getting ready for the Buckeye Gathering! Primitive skills camp. There for four days and then off to another shindig. The 25th anniversary of the planting of the Tree of Peace at Cal State Univ. Chico. Been working on barrettes for some sisters and when I came in to work today what did I find? SNOW! So here is a pic of the barrette piece. Tree of Peace on Turtle Island with the 5 Tribe Wampum belt. Became 6 after Tuscorora joined them.  ANd the SNOW!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #1880 on: April 26, 2014, 12:29:46 pm »
Nice spot there Zuma. Do you guys have a slot limit for spot tails? In SC where I fished the keepers were between 14" and 24". A few years ago I caught a 29" spot and had to release it but it was fun to catch.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Robby101

« Reply #1881 on: April 26, 2014, 01:12:10 pm »
Well, first thing this morning and for that matter the two days before as well, I planted trees whose shade I will never enjoy.
Probably a few hundred all told, white spruce, American Hornbeam, Butternut, Black Walnut, Locust, Crabapple, and oh yeah, a bunch of red osier shoots. Man, am I sore, but its a good ache.
Robby

Offline Zuma

« Reply #1882 on: April 26, 2014, 05:24:35 pm »
Ben, you work at a real pretty place.
The turtle looks cool.

Robby, planting anything gives me a good feeling. We need more trees-thanks.

Pat, I catch the redfish around the mouth Mobile Bay.
Alabama has a limit of 4 16" to 26" or 3 under  and 1 over 26".
You can catch the bulls all day long off Dixie Bar.
I have caught theem in the Chesapeake but much smaller.
Here's a King. Lots of tough skin. Not much of a pattern though?

Offline bubby

« Reply #1883 on: May 02, 2014, 06:59:08 pm »
I got a bl locust ruffed out and i'm heading to a track meet before work
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Weylin

« Reply #1884 on: May 04, 2014, 03:00:25 am »
I tillered my yew take-down recurve today. I'm planning to make it my elk hunting bow this year. Can't wait to finish it.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #1885 on: May 04, 2014, 11:21:30 pm »
I drove home from the Classic for ten hours doing 85+.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #1886 on: May 05, 2014, 10:04:39 am »
Haven't posted in a while on this thread.

Yesterday was typical, cooked deer liver and onions, kale, white beans, corn and a baked potato. Took down my electric fence around my greens patch to mow the remnants. Don't plan on planting a garden this year, first time in 40 years not to plant one but as a single man I don't need one.

Cut out 6 turkey wings to get them ready to send to David Mitchell for processing. I think this  makes about 30 wings and 11 fans collected so far to trade on the halves for full length ground feathers.

Shot my bow one arrow at a time to work on form and try to overcome my target panic. I can  murder a target in the yard but fall apart on a 3D range. 

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #1887 on: May 05, 2014, 11:17:56 am »
Eric;

Got to meet Gill Saturday night at the Classic, he looked like he needed a cold beer after shooting the range and I was honored to hand him one. Very remarkable person. He was hoping to see you there.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #1888 on: May 05, 2014, 04:51:26 pm »
Yep, Gil is cut from different cloth than us ordinary guys, a remarkable man indeed. You should read the book they wrote about his team in Afghanistan, amazing!

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #1889 on: May 05, 2014, 10:25:24 pm »
Had the day off work after my five day stint in Tennessee. Got up late, went mushroom hunting with the wife, met my buddy and made some trades then came home to shroom, fish and Tai sticky rice balls...brocolli too. Here's a pic, not a lot, but the first for us this year. crunchy crunchy out there right now. Now that the Classic is over we need some rain. HAve a gooder, dp

Oh, was gifted this primitive knife by wildman Saturday night. Worked great in the kitchen. Need to get a sheath made. Love in it.  ;D thnx, dp
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)