Author Topic: What Did You Do Today?  (Read 830087 times)

Offline PaulN/KS

Re: What Did You Do Today?
« Reply #2955 on: March 15, 2020, 09:21:09 am »
When Eric started his gizmo donations on TG there was some heated bidding on them. I was lucky enough to win one and it's proudly displayed in my shop.
Thanks for your handy invention as well as for your help in a good cause Eric.  :OK

Offline DC

« Reply #2956 on: March 15, 2020, 09:42:39 am »
It's nice to hear that there are that many. I joined the local archery club(I'm not a joiner) to see if I could find any like minded locals and quit after two years with no luck. I know of maybe a half dozen on the Island. I'm a bit of a hermit so that may have something to do with it ;D

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #2957 on: March 29, 2020, 08:31:41 am »
Gonna' be bee trap making day, I got a doug fir 4x4 at Home Depot (good arrow wood) and will start making traps today. I will keep a few and give the rest away.

Offline WhistlingBadger

• Future Expert
« Reply #2958 on: March 29, 2020, 08:44:14 am »
Do those trap honey bees or mason bees?
Thomas
Lander, Wyoming
"The trail is the thing, not the end of the trail.
Travel too fast, and you miss all you are traveling for."
~Louis L'Amour

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #2959 on: March 29, 2020, 04:00:29 pm »
Those are carpenter bee traps.The wood eating kind of bee.Nice version of one too Eric.
Here's my version.Made from scrap pieces of lumber laying around.I've got 6 on the house.They'll catch at least a dozen in each trap through out the summer.Knock on wood...a bee has not eaten a hole into anywhere on my house for years and years.They get attatched onto the corners of a house.They do the job.
It's a half inch hole drilled upwards at an angle.3 holes.1 on each side of wooden box.Bees get tired of trying to get out and fall to the bottom.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2020, 04:31:21 pm by BowEd »
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #2960 on: March 30, 2020, 07:37:51 am »
Here is my earlier version, lots of nailing, I used a gatorade bottle and would catch up to 25 in one trap.  I gave these away to make the new ones that all match. I cut 14 trap blanks out of the 4X4 in the picture.

I pick up an occasional honey bee that I let go but mostly catch carpenter bees.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #2961 on: March 30, 2020, 07:40:10 am »
more

Offline WhistlingBadger

• Future Expert
« Reply #2962 on: March 30, 2020, 07:42:18 am »
So you're catching them to keep them from eating your house, eh?  I have to use a lot of yellowjacket traps around here.  Yellowjackets serve an important ecological role, but they are JERKS!  And they eat my berries.
Thomas
Lander, Wyoming
~Louis L'Amour

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2963 on: March 30, 2020, 08:50:04 am »
The Shepherd/Akita we used to have would sit on the porch and catch and eat 10 or more yellowjackets a day during the warm weather and more in the early fall. I guess she loved spicy food.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline EdwardS

« Reply #2964 on: March 30, 2020, 02:40:27 pm »
Pat I'm cleaning popcorn off my laptop because of that one.  Good thing it wasn't chewed popcorn.

Did this dog come home stung up or what?  Every dog I've seen tangle with yellow jackets got stung about the muzzle.

Had a dog that brought home a half-dead rattlesnake one time.  Thought he'd die from the bites, fell asleep, slept a day, and was good as new.  That dog was made of cast iron and contrariness.  I miss him.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2965 on: March 30, 2020, 03:33:50 pm »
No, Sister just like eating them. She'd curl her lips and chomp the yellowjacket right out of the air, swallow it and look for another. She didn't go after nests. We have bears and skunks that do that.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline WhistlingBadger

• Future Expert
« Reply #2966 on: March 30, 2020, 09:01:43 pm »
We decided to shoot in our Scottish garb.

Thomas
Lander, Wyoming
~Louis L'Amour

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #2967 on: April 02, 2020, 07:59:01 am »
I always have a winter greens patch, it always is full of new growth kale and collards just about the I start thinking about my summer garden. We have had more rain this winter and spring than we usually get. I can count on a rain every few days and sometimes for a whole week.

It is difficult for me to put those great greens in the ground, I have the freezer stocked and have picked all I want to, both for me and to give away.

Even though it was very wet I decided to till my garden anyway. It looks like we are going to have 5 rare days of sunshine so I will let the top dry one day and til lit up again the next so it won't be such of a mud hole.

I plant through black plastic so it doesn't have to be perfect. I have to have an electric fence around my garden to keep the deer out, I made the ends like a giant gate so I can till end to end and leave the rest of the fence up.

Offline YosemiteBen

« Reply #2968 on: April 03, 2020, 12:29:42 am »
Recently got "clearance" to work three days a week doing out of doors work only, NO office time. Re-shaking a roof. Cutting trees. Cleaning up my out door space at work.  I am not tech savvy to post pics.... Honey-do list on the days I am not working. Some days I feel like I make my father sad because I do not seem to have the "drive" he does when it comes to getting in a "day's" work!

My wife's idea of spending time with her is not necessarily "working". Trying to find some sort of "balance" in all of it.

Many thanks to all of you for your "hobbies" and life's work that make the world go 'round!

Yosemite Ben!

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #2969 on: April 03, 2020, 06:43:57 am »
Made a raspberry cheese cake pie for Robin and bought us a steak dinner.It's her birthday.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed