Author Topic: Traditional arrows  (Read 1519 times)

Offline bow101

Traditional arrows
« on: January 06, 2013, 08:07:30 pm »
Just a quick poke at Arrows. Do Traditional Bows require Traditional arrows.?
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Offline burchett.donald

Re: Traditional arrows
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2013, 11:17:31 pm »
  You can shoot any type of arrows you have. One thing to consider is feathers for fletching normally shot off the shelf. When vanes are used they tend to kick off shelf when the plastic wads up and doesn't lay down like feathers. When using wood make sure you have enough spine for safety. Good shoot'n...
                                         Don
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline Weylin

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2013, 12:03:07 am »
In my opinion and experience, arrows are one of the biggest factor in how enjoyable and successful your shooting is with your wooden bow. When I made my first couple of bows I didn't have arrows that were properly matched to my bows, they were just a random assortment of carbon and hand-me-down wood arrows. Part of my bad shooting was just due to lack of practice but a good part of it was the arrows. Once I bought a dozen wood arrows that were spined and matched to my bows then my shooting improved dramatically. I think Don's advice is all good. The important thing is that you have arrows that are suited to your bow in terms of spine, length, weight and fletching. Whether they are traditional or not is a matter of aesthetics.

Offline bow101

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2013, 01:31:01 am »
 Never gave it a lot thought untill now, but I see how important it is to match the arrow to the bow. So in other words if we self-boywers build all these different bows then we need Various arrows for them as the bows are all different in weight, lenght, speed.....etc.........etc.......
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2013, 07:32:04 am »
That's true bow101,I try and build all my personal bow about the same,weight and draw length and how center shot they are just for that reason,most of my arrows will shoot off most of my bows but if you, like a lot here build a lot of different weights,draw length and designs then yes you will need arrows that match for each.  :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good