Author Topic: That hornet buzz  (Read 3058 times)

Offline kevinsmith5

That hornet buzz
« on: January 12, 2013, 09:23:22 pm »
Every few shots my turkey feather fletched arrows make that buzz arrows always make in the movies. Not as loud, but its definitely there. At first I thought it was just one of the arrows but I have since figured out it happens with all of them at random intervals. The shots that buzz don't seem to fly any different them the ones that don't. What makes them make this sound at random intervals? Anyone?

Offline ionicmuffin

Re: That hornet buzz
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2013, 09:30:12 pm »
are the bases of the feathers fully attached? if they are just tied by the ends then if it was loose it could make that sound i suppose.
Amo innectis arcus- I love crafting bows (latin)

Offline kevinsmith5

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2013, 10:41:37 pm »
Glued down and wrapped with artificial sinew at the fore and rear.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2013, 12:28:11 am »
If the trailing end of the fletching comes to a point just cut about 1/4" of the point off and it should quiet them down.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline M-P

• PA731115
    • Traveling Surgery
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2013, 01:38:15 am »
Howdy,  My arrows do the same.   Part of it is the shape of the fletching.  I always have had the impression that the 'buzz' is heard on those shots with the cleanest release.   Yeah....I'm still working on my release.   Anyway I never hear the 'buzz' on shots that wobble, even the slightest bit.   Ron
"A man should make his own arrows."   Omaha proverb   

"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."    Will Rogers

Offline Jim Davis

• Reparrows
    • Reparrows
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2013, 10:39:37 am »
When you  get old enough, your arrows will be very silent.  :)
Jim Davis

Kentucky--formerly Maine

Offline kevinsmith5

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2013, 10:44:35 am »
When you  get old enough, your arrows will be very silent.  :)

Unfortunately I'm more worried about the deer.... :)

Offline M-P

• PA731115
    • Traveling Surgery
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2013, 05:02:49 pm »
If you want the fletching to be silent ( as possible) follow the recommendations already made by others......make sure they are well attached and the the trailing corner of the fletching is rounded.    I suspect that a slow arrow is less likely to make noise, too.  But for hunting, you've probably already chosen to go with a heavier mass arrow.    Ron

"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."    Will Rogers

Offline kevinsmith5

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2013, 05:54:05 pm »
They're 33 1/2" long 11/32nd spruce with 155 gr heads.already clipped the point from the trailing edge.

Offline bubby

« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2013, 08:26:29 pm »
how tall are the feathers, mine are mostly 1/2" at the back straight line to nouthing and they are quiet, now the flu flu's make some noise, Bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline lostarrow

« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2013, 11:30:26 pm »
It's usually the shape of the fletch. The modern rounded fletch is quiet. It's part of the fletch that catches wind and flutters . I leave trailers on the front of the fletch on  my practice arrows ,just because it makes that sound everyone likes to hear.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2013, 11:54:43 pm »
Figure out how fast your arrows are travelling.  Let's say 150 fps, just a round number to work with.  Ok, and your deer is at 20 yards, that's 60 ft. 

60/150 = 4/10ths of a second. 

That's how long the arrow is in flight between leaving the string and hitting the target.  Actually, since the arrow is slowing due to the effect of drag on the surface area, a bit more, but 4/10ths is a pretty easy number to work with. 

By the time the deer has heard the sound, processed the sound, and has fired off messages to the muscles, and the muscles have begun to respond, the arrow has already arrived.  Almost every video I have ever seen of a deer "jumping the string" has the deer moving before the release.   In one, the deer actually drops AFTER the arrow pass! 

The real trick is not letting the deer see you drawing!  Or pick dumb deer.  I prefer dumb deer. 

Go thru your arrows one at a time.  Pull on each of the feathers, front, middle, back.  I always seem to find areas where the glue loosened up somewhere on a fletch and is the buzz culprit.  If they are all nice and tight, then try rounding off the backs of the fletching, or even cut them down lower. 

As for target arrows, often I will leave the very back of the fletch high on purpose to make them do that lovely "Robin of Loxely" sound that the movie sound people are so fond of.  Now if I can just figure out how to make my bows do that cool leather creaking noise.  So far, the only sound I can make them do is the dreaded "tick....tick...BLAMMO-BABY!"
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline M-P

• PA731115
    • Traveling Surgery
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2013, 04:13:01 am »
Figure out how fast your arrows are travelling.  Let's say 150 fps, just a round number to work with.  Ok, and your deer is at 20 yards, that's 60 ft.  ..60/150 = 4/10ths of a second.  ................By the time the deer has heard the sound, processed the sound, and has fired off messages to the muscles, and the muscles have begun to respond, the arrow has already arrived. 

JW   You may be right about the videos, but the reaction time for a middle aged man (like myself) is  LITTLE LESS THAN 3/10 SEC.   For a healthy young man its often less than 2/10 sec.     So a deer is likely to have a reaction time 2/10 sec or less.   I'm just guessing about the deer, but the human figures are real.  That's just the time to receive process and begin physical reaction to a stimulus, but you can make your own conclusions.   Personally I think Kevin has a legitimate concern, though the sound of the string or the draw may be more likely to set off the deer.

I do most of my shooting at the range so I like the Hollywood type sound effects.            Ron

Offline lostarrow

« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2013, 11:09:54 am »
I believe that the deer are more likely reacting to the sound of the release. Arrow /string/shelf,etc. The sound from that will reach the deer before the arrow,or the sound that the arrow makes, unless your arrows are travelling faster than the speed of sound.Think about it the next time you shoot.Twang/thwack /thud (choose the sound that best represents the sound of your release)SSSSSSSSHHHHHHHHHHEEEEEEEEEWWWWW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Whack. Standing next to the target 25yds away (not recommended) ,you will here the same thing.

Offline stringstretcher

• Traditionalarcherycommunitysite.com
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2013, 07:15:16 am »
Well the speed of sound is 1,125FPS.  You must have some really fast bows to get the arrow there before the sound arrives and allow ANY deer to not hear and process it first.