Author Topic: HEllo...whatt would u do with this??...NEW PICTURES...YEW BOW FINISHED..  (Read 13082 times)

Offline akila

Hello guys...i have this piece of yew, wich is pretty weird...i have some ideea aboute whatt i would try to do with it....i wass thinking aboute trying to bend the other tip, to make it recurve, like the one wich is already natural  bend...to make some kind of  static recurve....the yew piece, is  66" long....somewhere in the midle area it has some big knots, and i wass thinking to make the handle in that area...im worried a little aboute another knot...its somewhere arround mid limb..its not verrry big, i hope that i can evoid it...but i dont know yew...i will put some pictures...the widh of the yew stave is aboute 4cm or 1,1/2 inch wide.....at some places it is 2" wide....i wass curriose to know, whatt would u do with this piece of yew...:)...i dont know iff i will manage to bend the other tip, to mach the one wich is already  natural recurve...but for the moment i dont see whatt els i could do  with this stave...

This is the handle area...im lucky, becose it will be right in the midle of the stave, after i bend the straight tip..

This is the straight tip, that i should try to bend it...it has some small knots arrounde there...i hope it will be ok...

Here is the back  of the stave...view from handle thowards the recurve tip...this part of the back is clean...with no knots...

This is the other part of the back...view from handle thowards the straight tip...

This is that small knot, i wass talking aboute...it is right in the mid limb, somewhere arrounde 1"  away from the back...maybe i will gett pass him...

Here is the widh of the stave...

« Last Edit: January 23, 2013, 07:39:50 pm by akila »

Offline ionicmuffin

Re: HEllo...whatt would u do with this??...
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2013, 02:02:25 pm »
if you cut off that kink you can sinew back it as a shorter bow and make a nice little shortbow with high draw
Amo innectis arcus- I love crafting bows (latin)

Offline Onebowonder

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2013, 02:10:42 pm »
I don't know Yew from pickles and jelly, ...but, What about cutting the natural kink off and carving it into a pair of naturally bent Siyahs.  I notice it is the thicker end of the stave.  Perhaps you could carve one Siyah out double thick plus a bit, then cut it down the middle to make two.  V-splice one back into each end the rest of the stave.  Ambitious?  Maybe.  Heck I don't know yew, remember?

Onebow

Offline akila

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2013, 02:13:20 pm »
mmmm....and to leave it reflex ?....:)....the problemm is that, i dont have  acces to sinew...i do  have some sinew, but i wass save it for special  projects...:)....i want to make for a long time,  an asiatic bow, with bamboo belly, and sinew backing...thks for your advise...i will wait and see whatt others will replay, and i will decide, whatt to do...thks alot...and that   knot from the middle is realy big...i dont know, iff the  belly, will survive to that knot...i know yew is pretty strong stuff, but, i dont know..thks again...im waiting for some moore replays..

Offline akila

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2013, 02:20:25 pm »
Hehe..yess its ambitious...i wass thinking aboute making  2 syiah from that recurve end...the stave is pretty thick, and wide  there, but to be honest i realy hate  making the V splices....:)))...i did that to some bow's and its realy tricky  to do it using only hand tools...well, iff wi talk aboute ataching syiahs, its not necesaraly need to be done using V splice...i could use a moore easey metodh to do it...thks for your advice...i will  give it a thaught...:)
  PS...and the problemm is, that iff im cutting that kink down, with some curve in it to look like already bend syiah, i will have a shorter limb...the distance, from the remaining tip,. to that big knot in the middle, will be much smaller, thenn it is now, and i dont know iff its such a good ideea...whenn u glue syiah, u  loose a big portion of the working limb.. :-\
« Last Edit: January 16, 2013, 02:29:11 pm by akila »

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2013, 02:43:52 pm »
We need and end view to see how much heart wood there is to play with.
It's pretty skinny.
If there are big knots they need to be at the grip, which then determines if you can loose the kink or have to live with it.
Yew is fine for heat bending, but I'd make the bow so that kink is a big reflex tip which can either be straightened a tad or matched at the other end.
I'd just chop away the belly side and go for a primitive stick bow, not enough wood for anything much else IMO.
Del
« Last Edit: January 16, 2013, 02:48:08 pm by Del the cat »
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline RyanY

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2013, 02:52:36 pm »
Leave the kink in as a natural recurve and don't do anything to the other end making it an asymmetric bow. I think that would be so cool and fun to make.

Offline rossfactor

• Humboldt County CA
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2013, 03:04:12 pm »
It crazy how much that bark looks like Crepe Myrtle.

Gabe
Humboldt County CA.

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2013, 03:07:35 pm »
Lose or use the kink as a recurve(that would look cool)
That's a good stave.
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline akila

« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2013, 04:46:39 pm »
Thks alot guys...i decided to leave the kink, and use it as a recurve...i already  worked the stave, and give it some shape...i will try to have some kind of a handle in the middle area where the knot is...it will be small handle....just to make it slightly rigid in the midle....the other tip, is right now put over a boiling pot, to be steamed...i hope it will not crack on me...the wood is still a little  wet, so after i bend the tip, i will have to leave this one, for a while to dry a little...thks for all your replays..i will keep you posted, and tell you how this will end...:)

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2013, 04:52:36 pm »
I would trade it for some osage. Hey, you asked!
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline ionicmuffin

« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2013, 04:56:42 pm »
pearl wants another go at yew  ::)
Amo innectis arcus- I love crafting bows (latin)

Offline fishfinder401

• noel laflamme noellaf2@cox.net
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2013, 05:12:31 pm »
i would try an asymmetrical bow
warbows and fishing, what else is there to do?
modern technology only takes you so far, remove electricity and then what

Offline akila

« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2013, 05:28:12 pm »
Hahaha...yess, it would have been realy interesting to leave it like this, to make an asymetrical bow...but, mmmm...that deflex, wass pretty big..i dont know how fast it would have been in the end....welll, will see, iff i can make a bow out of this piece of yew...finger crossed...:)
« Last Edit: January 16, 2013, 06:29:54 pm by akila »

Offline bow101

« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2013, 08:24:36 pm »

.....to make some kind of  static recurve....the yew piece, is  66" long....somewhere in the midle area it has some big knots, 

By the time you cut it just before that thank less bend, what lenght is it going to be.?
I think it would be to short.
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell