Author Topic: How to drive flakes further?  (Read 6602 times)

Offline Youngboyer2(billyf)

• Live by the man-née and the sa-wa.
How to drive flakes further?
« on: January 18, 2013, 04:32:24 pm »
I know that it has something to do with angles and force and dullness, but I just can't make it happen. I use antler or a nail to pressure flake and I use an antler or an old rasp handle(end filled with sand&superglue) for percussion. My percussion flakes are sizable but my pressure flakes are always small, and a lot of the glass I work on is a risk of breaking with a bopper.
-Billy
"You speak Treason!" "Fluently"-Robin of Locksley
When people ask "why didn't you do that the first time" you can be sure that they  have never made a bow before.

Offline ionicmuffin

Re: How to drive flakes further?
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2013, 04:43:03 pm »
i have a similar problem, my bet, is that you are not supporting your work as best you can. the better the support, the better set up you do (i.e. abrasion) the longer the flakes are likely to be. also, you can use your knees to provide more pressure to the flake and drive it farther. Thats all i have for now. GL
Amo innectis arcus- I love crafting bows (latin)

Offline bubby

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2013, 04:46:30 pm »
billy I work ton's of obsidian and glass slabs all pressure flake, abrade the heck out of the edges push strait in fairly hard and then down, I try and get to the center the first time around, if your still getting short flakes try and go a little higher on the edge
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline TRACY

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2013, 07:25:35 pm »
Set up the platform at or below the centerline pushing in and then down as Bubby said. I'm slowly learning over several years now that this is key to controlling flake length and location. Practice, practice, practice! :)
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline bubby

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2013, 07:33:20 pm »
tracy's right, practice bring's confidence, confidence and more practice will take you the rest of the way
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline AncientArcher76

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2013, 12:31:24 pm »
Practice is the key and as mentioned build the pressure push..use some effort then detach the flake...it is possible to pressure flake long and fairly wide flakes depending on the type and thickness of your flaker on obsidian I can run 4 inch flakes or more....u can thin using pressure

Russ
Time, dedication, cuts, tons of broken rock, a wife, and perhaps a few girlfriends are some of what it takes in becoming a skilled flint knapper!!!

"Ancient Art"  by R. Hill

Offline Will H

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2013, 10:47:47 pm »
Better tools, better technique, more practice. Good luck ;)
Proud Member of Twin Oaks Bowhunters
           Clarksville, Tennessee

"Middle Tennessee is the place to be"

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2013, 11:41:28 am »
The length of the flakes is proportional to the strength of the platform.  If you are not getting long flakes, you do not have strong platforms.

You also need convexity, thickness, and a ridge to follow.  The shape of the preform must be prepared carefully.
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline iowabow

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2013, 07:54:36 pm »
Billy it is real difficult to start knapping. It just drives you nuts in the beginning because so many things need your focus at one time. All these guys have great advice but read Will's post again. You need good tools!
(:::.) The ABO path is a new frontier to the past!

Offline iowabow

« Last Edit: January 23, 2013, 08:27:59 pm by iowabow »
(:::.) The ABO path is a new frontier to the past!