Author Topic: Laminate backing?  (Read 2386 times)

Offline tgtmatt

Laminate backing?
« on: January 19, 2013, 09:38:00 pm »
I've never backed a bow with anything other than some silk and I'm thinking about laminating a red oak pyramid bow I just finished tillering. Would it be a bad idea to back it after I have already completed the tillering stages? And for future references what would I use to back a red oak, as in what type of laminate boards? And one more, anyone know where there is a tutorial for backing with laminate?

Offline bubby

Re: Laminate backing?
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2013, 09:43:20 pm »
I usually tiller after all the glue ups unless there is a screw up, how about rawhide?
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline tgtmatt

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2013, 09:47:58 pm »
I'm looking for something to just make the bow look better. I might just make my own paint out of berries, etc. and paint it. But for future references do you know anything about laminate backings?

Offline bubby

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2013, 09:52:40 pm »
as long as your talking about wood backings
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline DarkSoul

• Orion Bows
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2013, 08:26:17 am »
Yes, you can add a backing after you've already finished tillering it. It's not the most common practice, since a backing will normally be used for iffy wood that would otherwise break without a backing. But if the bow survived without a backing all the way to full draw, you don't need a backing clearly. However, a backing can still be applied to make a bow look better, or to make it more safe and durable. It's also a good way to greatly increase the drawweight. A wood backing will easily increase the drawweight by 15-30 pounds. Still, you will need to re-tiller the bow after applying the backing. Don't expect the tiller to remain the same as before applying the backing. Another thing to consider, is the fact that glueing a wood backing to a bow that already has its corners rounded, is tricky. You can only glue down the flat back, and not the rounded edges. Of course, this only applies for a wood backing and not for sinew, rawhide or silk, which are flexible. Also, if the bow has already been sealed with oil/varnish/wax etc. you cannot glue any backing onto it.

By the way, what exactly do you mean with 'laminate backing'? You don't mean a laminate flooring, right?
"Sonuit contento nervus ab arcu."
Ovid, Metamorphoses VI-286

Offline tgtmatt

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2013, 12:01:40 pm »
Thanks, Well I've seen people posting about backing with wood, and I swear I saw them mention wood flooring. I could be wrong, but that is why I asked on the forum before I tried anything.

Offline kevinsmith5

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2013, 01:02:27 pm »
If its just for cosmetics, look in the build alongside and how to's for tissue paper backing. You could also do linen, that shouldn't change the tiller.

Offline Cameroo

• Cam's Stuff
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2013, 05:28:24 pm »
There is a big difference between laminate and hardwood flooring.  Laminate would be useless as a backing.  Hardwood flooring on the other hand, could be used, as long as the grain was right. 

Offline kevinsmith5

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2013, 06:12:01 pm »
All my hickory started as hardwood flooring.

Offline tgtmatt

« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2013, 09:35:10 pm »
Anyone know of a build along for a hardwood backing?

Offline kevinsmith5

« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2013, 01:17:51 am »
I resaw straight grained wood on my table saw and plane it down on my lamer to 3/16" or 1/8". If you don't have a planer or thickness sander I'd just buy it. You'll go through a lot of mail order hickory backing before you pay for either if those tools.

Offline spyder1958

• Retire Air Force, love all outdoors, 7 grandkids
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2013, 09:10:27 am »
If you need a build along I seen one on you tube. Not much to it. lay bow on backing trace and cut outside your lines. I cut mine on table saw then hand sand till flat and taper a little on the ends. glue up and wrap with and old bicycle inner tube, clamps or what ever you have to hold it down. Make sure you let it dry out well before trimming.

Offline Cameroo

• Cam's Stuff
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2013, 02:30:30 pm »
Here's how I do glue-ups.  It's way easier to glue the laminations before you cut out the bows profile.  No point in cutting twice!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0a3nhYpq6cY

Offline bow101

« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2013, 07:37:17 pm »
Good video Cameroo of yur bild-a-long.
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell