Author Topic: tillering a deflex reflex bow= help please  (Read 2153 times)

Offline mnviking

tillering a deflex reflex bow= help please
« on: February 02, 2013, 04:24:22 pm »
well with all the help i got from this site I finally have a bow that did not break when I put on the long string.  When I started short pulls on the string I noticed that the bottom limb tip wants to move towards the right as it bends.  does this mean the left side of the bottom limb is stronger than the right side and i need to remove material from the left side of the bottom limb??  the top limb also moves slightly toward the right on the short pulls but not as much as the bottom limb.  the bow is 68 inch ntn and is from red oak laminate

thanks guys

Offline mnviking

Re: tillering a deflex reflex bow= help please
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2013, 04:28:24 pm »
I forgot to mention that the actual bend in each limb is basically the same when I measured the long string bend at various points along the limbs.  both sides where very similar.
thanks

Offline Newindian

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2013, 04:32:55 pm »
A picture is worth a thousand words, depending on the severity of the bend you may not need to do any thing
I like free stuff.

Offline Roy

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2013, 04:34:44 pm »
A limb will bend towards the weak side, wood should be taken off the strong side to bring it back in line. But yes pictures?

Offline mnviking

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2013, 04:43:38 pm »
ok I will need to figure out how to put pictures on this site.

I also have room to cut nocks further if this is something else I can do to make the limbs pull straighter.  not sure what adjustment to make .  for instance.  would i cut the nock deeper on the side it is pulling towards.  ie  the bottom limb is moving to the right so would i cut the right side nock deeper on the bottom limb??

can i down load a picture from the i phone to this site??

Offline mnviking

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2013, 04:47:01 pm »
ok i figured out how to put pictures on the site.  will need to wait for my wife to take the picture when I pull the bow.  thanks guys

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2013, 04:54:12 pm »
Check the thickness down both sides of each limb. You will probably find one side thicker than the other. You can bring the limbs back to even by removing wood from the belly of the thicker side.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline mnviking

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2013, 04:58:21 pm »
thank you all!

Offline 4est Trekker

« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2013, 06:17:27 pm »
Here's a pictorial help I did some time ago explaining the mechanics of limb twist as it pertains to uneven limbs.  I hope it helps. :)

http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,27206.msg364029.html#msg364029

And do post a picture if possible...I'm not sure your subject line is indicative of your question, but I've been know to miss the obvious from time to time  ;)
"Walk softly, and carry a bent stick."

"And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ, giving thanks to God the Father through him."  Col. 3:17

Offline mnviking

« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2013, 02:47:38 pm »
guys
I removed some wood from the belly of the limb on the side opposite the twist/bend out and it helped.  I then remembered someone using heat and bending so I grabbed my heat gun warmed it up and twisted the limb in the direction opposite of the unwanted twist.  I seems to have worked!!  I dont  know if the heat induced bend will maintain over time. 
thanks again for all the help

I will be reviewing Trekkers link now so thank you as well.