Author Topic: First Molly. Not the last.  (Read 5965 times)

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
First Molly. Not the last.
« on: February 02, 2013, 10:14:15 pm »
My latest.
Osage Mollegabet.  50/50  working limb to lever.  13.75” working limb.
64” ttt
50 ish at 27 inches
9” non-working handle and  handle fades  (5-2-2)
Limb width at the handle fade is 1 15/16” tapering to 1 11/16” at the lever fades.
The levers are 7/8” wide tapering to  a little over 3/8” at the string nocks
Live Oak tip overlays  (A first for me, but I’ve been thinking about them for a while)

A few thoughts on the this build; (turns out more than a few)

First I want to thank Blackhawk for all of his advice and direction.  Your help was greatly appreciated.  Also thanks to Half Eye, as I consulted your drawings repeatedly leading up to and during construction.

The building of this bow lay somewhere near the boundary of my skill and ability.  Whether within reach or beyond was still to be determined, but a departure from what I’m comfortable making.  I think anyone with some experience can build a lever bow.  Make the working limbs long and wide enough, and the levers wide and thick enough, and you got it.  But you end up with a bow that performs no better than a typical flat bow, and you spent more time in the construction.  The key as I see it, and echoed by others, is getting the levers long and light.  There-in lies the challenge, and the pay off.  This stave was not a great candidate for a Molly.  It was very crooked tip to tip with a good bit of prop twist to boot, so a great deal of time was spent straightening this bugger.  I’m not one to worry too much about string tracking as a rule.  If it shoots well it’s good.  No bueno on a lever bow.  String tracking is critical to getting the levers light without losing lateral stability.  I’m as light as my nerve allowed me to go, but not as light as possible, nor as light as Blackhawk’s tips.  Couldn’t get there.  I’m 1/8” off dead center of the handle, and still a bit of twist, so I’m calling it good.  Also had some really weird knots on this stave.  Swept the tips just enough to get them in front of the handle.  This one took more hours to complete than any I’ve made, but it has been worth it.  I have not weighed it at full draw but it was 45 lbs at 25 inches.   I’ve put 50 shots or so thru it and it’s sweet.  Pound for pound the fastest bow I’ve built.  Haven’t shot thru a chrono, just the feel of it.  I can tell.  The stave had 3 inches of deflex that I heated out of it.  Started tillering it with 1.5 inches of reflex.  After shooting, it has about 1/2 inch if string follow that recovers to ½ inch of reflex.  Sorry for the novel here, but a lot of work went into this one.  Thanks for lookin.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline Ozzy

Re: First Molly. Not the last.
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2013, 10:18:29 pm »
Love the Molly's nice work
THE BEST SUNRISES ARE SEEN 20 FEET UP A TREE.

Offline Gsulfridge

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2013, 10:21:01 pm »
Very nice work. I too am starting my first Molly, but out of BL. I also consulted 'hawk and am using a half-eye youth Molly as a general guide. I'm still in the roughing out stage. If mine turns out half as good as yours, I'll be very happy.
Greg Sulfridge, Lafollette, TN

Offline Keenan

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2013, 10:25:21 pm »
Very sweet bow. Great looking tips and very pleasing shape

Offline Arrowind

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2013, 10:31:58 pm »
Nice job!  Looks great.  I really like the full draw shot.  Good work!
Talking trees. What do trees have to talk about, hmm... except the consistency of squirrel droppings?

Offline lostarrow

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2013, 10:38:22 pm »
Oh good, I'm not the only one that holds his pinkey out on full draw pics :D Nice job on the bow!

Offline PatM

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2013, 10:39:27 pm »
All the quirks with the levers are why the bows which evolved from this style go to separate spliced in levers and lateral stiffening plates of harder wood  with the grain placed vertically or thin bone plates.
 Gradually tipping them back to the optimal angle and artificially stiffening them will change your views on this design even more.

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2013, 10:48:52 pm »
Nice job on that one! Gotta love those Mollies!! :)
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Ephesians 2:8-9

Kenny from Mississippi, USA

Offline half eye

« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2013, 10:57:40 pm »
Very well done, Ya got a perfect round bend in the working portion (instead of all at the fade). In case you haven't tried it, you are gonna love it's arrow spine tolerance, and it's cast.......aint scared of no heavy arrows 8)
    Bet ya got the bug now, eh?
rich

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2013, 11:08:06 pm »
That is a cool bow.  I like the pin knots down the back of it.  Great job on it Slimbob.  That's a Texas sized squirrel in that braced picture.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline ionicmuffin

« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2013, 11:08:56 pm »
man i really like this bow. Im going to have to make a molle someday.
Amo innectis arcus- I love crafting bows (latin)

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2013, 11:33:08 pm »
That came out really nice Slim, worth the struggle I bet. Looks fast and that sage has some nice color to boot.
Gonna have to try one of those in the future.
Greg
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline Drifter

« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2013, 11:39:17 pm »
Saweetttt that came out nice really cool! What's a live oak tip?

Offline coaster500

« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2013, 11:42:06 pm »
Very nice bend in that bow!!!

Well done :)
Inspiration, information and instruction by the ton and it's free,,, such a deal :)

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2013, 12:26:19 am »
Thanks Ozzy, Greg, Keenan, Arrowind.
Lostarrow, that pinky just will not behave.
PatM,  Was gonna sweep the tips more but this Osage (4 bows from this tree) has proven to take a bit of set.  I can see where it could really make one scream though.
Thanks Kenny, Greg.
Halfeye, thanks for posting all the research you put into these.  Invaluable info.  Just today started really shooting it, but it is sweet.  Been wondering about spine tolerance.  Accuracy, or rather, consistency has been better than I expected.
OO, the pin knots are pretty sweet looking, but several exited the belly as punky, nasties.  That squirrel chewed up one of my strings today.
Thanks Muffin and coaster.
Drifter, Live Oak is Quercus Virginiana.  Stately southern oak species.  Dense heavy wood.  SG around .80. 

Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.