Author Topic: *** BOW SWAP DRAW LENGTHS ***  (Read 7540 times)

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
*** BOW SWAP DRAW LENGTHS ***
« on: February 05, 2013, 07:58:27 am »
 Please do a a few minutes of research on your recipient when you get the name. It will allow you to learn more about their tastes and preferences. It has been mentioned many times in the sign up thread, but of course buried quickly. Draw lengths can vary GREATLY from style to style. Handle depth can vary by almost 1 1/2" itself and that can effectively shorten or lengthen a persons draw equally. It wont be hard to scare up a an exact number to shoot for. I will be finding out exactly what I need when once I get my name to kick me off.  ;)

Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

blackhawk

Re: *** BOW SWAP DRAW LENGTHS ***
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2013, 08:12:40 am »
Yes...do your research. One of the reasons why this was done this way was for you to get to know the person your building for better and make it more personal. The simple stats we posted are not enough info to go off from to build a bow for someone,even if a specific draw length is stated,its still not enough info. Please take the time to find out who you are building for. Some folks that signed up haven't posted a lot. I have asked them to please post more asap so the person that gets there name can go thru and read all there posts. You might have to find out who they associate with here on the forum and have to ask them in secrecy to know more about them. This way you get to feel like you know your person better and it will give you a better sense to take pride in your work and go that extra little step to make it awesome for that person,instead of building a 50@28" bow for a blankless face. If you research me you will find out I make and enjoy shooting bows from a 24" draw all the way to 32". Everybody's different,so find out what that difference is.

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2013, 08:46:30 am »
I'm just going to use this string to tell my preferred draw length since there has been so many comments.    27"

If others who want to will do the same, this string can help with the "research" of draw lengths for whoever you get.

GregB
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Offline hunterbob

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2013, 08:58:32 am »
I am a snap shooter ang 26 to 27 " draw would work for me. if that sometimes .LOL

Offline danny f

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2013, 09:03:35 am »
i draw around 25"- 26"  with any of the bows i have made so far.   :)

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2013, 09:06:04 am »
Guys please dont add you numbers here. This is just an informational post. You truley cant build a personal bow for a specific person without knowing anything about them.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2013, 10:01:57 am »
You are right we all should get to know the person that we are building for,that is part of what this is about but as for the bow they receive,All I really need to know in weight and draw,say a guy prefers a short sinew backed Molly,that ant happening cause I do feel that is the best bow that I build.I plan on making the best bow that I can make and mine unlike a lot of others here don't vary much. Not tying to stir the pot but just want everyone to know if I get their name they will get the kind of bows I feel I build the best. That being said let the games begin.  :) Thanks for all yall time getting this together and all the time you are going to spend keeping up with it. ;) :) :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline JonW

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2013, 10:07:02 am »
I don't think my preferences are a real secret. Well said Pappy!!

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2013, 10:12:31 am »
Seen that bow rack picture Pappy.  Any one of those would be a sweet surprise.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline Keenan

« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2013, 11:59:11 am »
 25 inch draw is my "normal"  and like around 50-55lbs. 

Like JW said, I would prefer you sign the bow as it is very meaningfull.

Offline bcbull

« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2013, 12:51:51 pm »
28 is my normal but can go 31 with longbow i usally shoot 55-65# brock

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2013, 01:08:03 pm »
Here is a research tool I didnt know about until recently.  If you click on a person's handle, it takes you to a profile info page.  Look under their handle on this page and one of the options is show posts.  That will show you all of that person's posts.  Might still have to dig a bit to find what you are looking for, but it is a good way to find your recipients posts. 
"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2013, 01:12:05 pm »
Exactly Carson. Like Pappy said, he knows what bows he builds best, but it still helps to get to know the person a little. Skins? No Skins? Osage, hickory, elm, yew? Check out their interests in archery, be it hunting, target or just field shooting. I want to learn as much as I can before I start a bow for a person. I am buildng it FOR THEM afterall.

Offline darwin

« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2013, 01:23:17 pm »
My draw length is 31" normally (I'm tall with long arms) never shot a bow over 60 lbs so anything under that would be preferred. For some reason i have lived in fear of being overwhelmed by my own bows as a result every bow i have made ( about 8 i think) with the exception of one has been given away (and honestly the one i kept is probably the one i was the least satisfied with), as a result I will be more than happy with anything I receive and don't worry i wont be giving that one away

Offline BOWMAN53

« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2013, 02:56:02 pm »
Everyone should put their draw length in thier signature, for the next week.