Author Topic: 2013 Bow Trade Works In Progress  (Read 547808 times)

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: 2013 Bow Trade Works In Progress
« Reply #300 on: February 14, 2013, 05:25:47 pm »
Cut that handle way down and make it semi rigid, then it wont be a problem at all. As is I bet it takes some serious set, even heat treated.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline bubby

« Reply #301 on: February 14, 2013, 05:29:12 pm »
I only use a 4" grip with 1 1/2" fades pyramid taper, that gives me about 27 1/2" working limb, how much do ya think "serious set" is pearlie
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #302 on: February 14, 2013, 05:48:45 pm »
Thats my recipe you thief! I bet you take no less than 2 1/2". I suggest a design similar to my buckthorn, something that has a handle, yet gives way at 1-2" short of full draw. You can almost cut that set in half.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline bubby

« Reply #303 on: February 14, 2013, 05:53:18 pm »
don't think of it as stealing, think of it as, well think whatever ya want, ya aint cheatin' ya aint trying >:D, sounds like a plan i'll revisit that buckthorn, thank's chris

Offline coaster500

« Reply #304 on: February 14, 2013, 06:16:50 pm »
Got a little more done today between honey dues. Trapped the back of a Hickory, scraped the belly and did another toasting. Worked the Yew down a bit more (almost to floor tiller) put crazy glue and dust in the knots.....  did a bit more heat straightening on the Osage and just to complicate my life a bit more.....  trying another takedown. This time with Yew Billits???

All of these starts would work for my victim....  just not sure which one is "The One"    >:D

Inspiration, information and instruction by the ton and it's free,,, such a deal :)

Offline Cardboard_Duck

• Winter Haven, FL
« Reply #305 on: February 14, 2013, 06:25:46 pm »
Here is my plan A (although I might change my mind seeing that nobody else has posted a composite bow yet...)

*edit* and this one is an HBERC Molly (if you couldn't tell  :P )

I have a piece of elm and some TOP SECRET that I might try as well :)
>>>---------->

Offline darwin

« Reply #306 on: February 14, 2013, 06:29:00 pm »
man i feel like i'm way behind yall are moving so fast

Offline coaster500

« Reply #307 on: February 14, 2013, 06:38:18 pm »
Careful Duck your bow is bending at the handle and not the outer 2/3's of the working limbs.... I'd hate to see that beauty go off on ya ....  Going to be a sweet looking shooter :)

« Last Edit: February 14, 2013, 06:43:02 pm by coaster500 »
Inspiration, information and instruction by the ton and it's free,,, such a deal :)

Offline Cardboard_Duck

• Winter Haven, FL
« Reply #308 on: February 14, 2013, 06:47:09 pm »
Careful Duck your bow is bending at the handle and not the outer 2/3's of the working limbs.... I'd hate to see that beauty go off on ya ....  Going to be a sweet looking shooter :)

10-4 Coaster! I'll get scraping on the outer limbs :) Thanks for the input!
>>>---------->

Offline KShip85

« Reply #309 on: February 14, 2013, 06:49:19 pm »
That's a sweet looking bow duck.  Love me some Erc :). That's what I imagined one I was working on was going to look like until I overdid it reducing and ended up way under weight.

There are a lot of good looking bows in the works in here.  I would be psyched to get any one of them!

Kip
Kip Shipley    Bloomington, IN

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #310 on: February 14, 2013, 06:54:46 pm »
Im lovin that plan duck! Kip Winger you can just keep on with that wrinkly back yew bow. Thats the one I want!

Offline bubby

« Reply #311 on: February 14, 2013, 07:43:15 pm »
Im lovin that plan duck! Kip Winger you can just keep on with that wrinkly back yew bow. Thats the one I want!

I thought we agreed that the yew stayed west of the rockies >:D

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #312 on: February 14, 2013, 07:53:15 pm »
Got my "plan a" drawn out.  60" Osage bendy handle.  Working handle really.  Had to free hand it.  Nice thick rings with sweet early/late wood ratio.  Not sure it shows up in the pic.  Gonna get a piggy back to boot!
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #313 on: February 14, 2013, 08:00:00 pm »
Done my research on my recipient and still not to sure on his likes in bows but have an idea. My idea is to do something that he may not
already have. First option would be a black locust, double scalloped, eastern woodland/great lakes style bow. Second option would be a
buckthorn that I've been working on and have to floor tiller stage. The buckthorn is very similar to the beauty that Pearly just posted.
Hopefully I can get it close to as nice as Chris' bow and still have it hold together. :o
Anyway I going to work them both and give the better of the two as my trade bow. This building for a fellow bow maker really makes me want to turn out the best work I'm capable of doing. A little bit of pressure felt but outweighed by the amount of fun, excitement, and sense of fellowship this trade is generating..

Greg

I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #314 on: February 14, 2013, 08:02:25 pm »
Whoa Slim, thats some good looking sage buddy. Got my name?
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.