Author Topic: 2013 Bow Trade Works In Progress  (Read 547824 times)

Offline Knapper

• David Atnip
Re: 2013 Bow Trade Works In Progress
« Reply #375 on: February 16, 2013, 07:25:27 pm »
Ok! tax's done, rock spreaded on driveway, garden tilled, and four staves ready for floor tillerring!!
Osage, one ring chased, hickory and elm, plus one other hickory :laugh:, should be able to make at least one good bow :)
Knapper
Ad Dare Servire
PM104250

Offline Arrowind

« Reply #376 on: February 16, 2013, 08:53:29 pm »
This is becoming quite the thread.  So cool to see what everyone is doing!  Too much to mention it all but everything looks good! 

Here’s an update.  Need some help.

Plan "A" was going according to plan for the most part until I got into a tillering frenzy.  One thing led to another and well…ended up under weight.  (Just slightly.)  I have shot it a bit but still have some sanding and more shooting to do so it’s likely going to lose even more.

I really like this bow though and don’t want to give up on it.  It’s hickory or like ryoon says “white gold”.   I trapped the back quite a bit more so than I’ve done in the past and it’s come out pretty good.  I also steamed in some reflex at the handle and flipped the tips.

I live in AZ so the humidity is very low.  (Hickory loves Arizona)

I’m thinking of heat treating it which was my original plan but now I’m chicken.  I’ve never done that before but I think it’s the only way to bring in some more weight without piking or adding sinew.   I also want to try to beef up the performance. (planning on narrowing the tips more too.)

I’m worried about the very low humidity here and how heat treating will effect the bow though it is intended to go to a place that is NOT Arizona.  (Not to narrow it down too much ;D). 

What do you guys think?   
Talking trees. What do trees have to talk about, hmm... except the consistency of squirrel droppings?

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
« Reply #377 on: February 16, 2013, 09:26:26 pm »
Here is a my 3rd attempt at a bamboo backed bow. My 1st two ( a bamboo backed ipe and bamboo backed osage) both failed due to various mistakes. The one has turned out OK, so far. I know the tips are huge, but I made them that was on purpose to correct a mistake. I can now take them down to normal size. I like the way it has turned out, so far except I should have made the bamboo even thinner. I have shot it a couple dozen times and it has a lot of zip. It is 60 in. t2t, 45#@27in. I still have to do some finish sanding, add my handle, and make a new string. Here is pic of the bow at rest.

One braced at 5 in. I later raised it to 6" which seems better for this bow.

Here is one on the tree at 23 in. My wife was not available to take any full draw pics.

I am going to let my son shoot it in at Tannehill. If she holds up, she may be my trade bow, if you guys think it would be a good one, unless my son wants her. I owe him one, too.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2019, 10:02:35 am by lesken2011 »
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Ephesians 2:8-9

Kenny from Mississippi, USA

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #378 on: February 16, 2013, 09:27:35 pm »
Temper and reflex at the same time and you will gain 20# I bet. I say go for it if adding weight is your goal. I heat tempered a hickory two weeks ago and the humidy was 23-25% in the house for weeks prior. It came out just dandy.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Arrowind

« Reply #379 on: February 16, 2013, 09:34:53 pm »
Temper and reflex at the same time and you will gain 20# I bet. I say go for it if adding weight is your goal. I heat tempered a hickory two weeks ago and the humidy was 23-25% in the house for weeks prior. It came out just dandy.

Thanks.  Guess I need to learn how to do it at some point.  I wonder how much weight it would gain if I moved the knocks down a half inch...
Talking trees. What do trees have to talk about, hmm... except the consistency of squirrel droppings?

Offline Arrowind

« Reply #380 on: February 16, 2013, 09:37:36 pm »
hey lesken.  I think it's look'n pretty good so far.   

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #381 on: February 16, 2013, 09:38:24 pm »
Its simple. Heat gun on high and 3-4" away. Clamp the center and the tips down. Start at the fades and work out. Look for a nice toast color before you move the gun.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #382 on: February 16, 2013, 09:39:17 pm »
Tiller looks nice Bulldog.

Offline MWirwicki

• The wood speaks to you; Listen with your eyes. GSD
« Reply #383 on: February 16, 2013, 10:37:30 pm »
Yay Knappster!  Yep, the Little Woman has been subtle but getting stronger on the "Do the taxes" thing.  I better get at them this week. 
Matt Wirwicki
Owosso, MI

Offline beetlebailey1977

• Bowhunters of South Carolina
« Reply #384 on: February 16, 2013, 11:23:31 pm »
Arrowind I don't think you will get the hickory to dry.
Happy hunting to all!
Bowhunters of South Carolina Executive council member
Professional Bowhunters Society Associate member

Reevesville, SC     James V. Bailey II

Offline hammertime

• no shoes no shirt, no problems
« Reply #385 on: February 17, 2013, 12:03:23 am »
Thought I would share progress on my option 1 trade bow-elm at low brace ready to be heat treated-Hammertime
« Last Edit: February 17, 2013, 12:08:27 am by hammertime »

Offline Weylin

« Reply #386 on: February 17, 2013, 12:09:49 am »
Woah! That's a wild profile! I can't wait to see that one at full draw.

Offline Arrowind

« Reply #387 on: February 17, 2013, 12:16:06 am »
THAT'S AWESOME!!!!

Offline hammertime

• no shoes no shirt, no problems
« Reply #388 on: February 17, 2013, 12:22:41 am »
Thanks,been trying to   tame this one since the first week in January,slow going-Hammertime

Offline Arrowind

« Reply #389 on: February 17, 2013, 12:27:55 am »
Arrowind I don't think you will get the hickory to dry.

Thanks.  The average humidity here is 23% It's 22% now.  Guess that falls in line with Pearl Drums example.