Author Topic: 2013 Bow Trade Works In Progress  (Read 547809 times)

Offline coaster500

Re: 2013 Bow Trade Works In Progress
« Reply #390 on: February 17, 2013, 11:57:02 am »
hammertime that's an interesting profile!!!!

Inspiration, information and instruction by the ton and it's free,,, such a deal :)

Offline burn em up chuck

« Reply #391 on: February 17, 2013, 12:16:31 pm »
   wow there is a lot of mollys being made including myself. and I'm thankful for the extra time.

chuck
Honored to say I'm a Member of the

Twin Oaks Bowhunters club

Offline bushboy

« Reply #392 on: February 17, 2013, 12:53:51 pm »
Got her to low brace and I think it looks ok,just gotta put her on a diet and lose 10/15#!am asking a lot out of this hunk of maple so going real slow
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline bushboy

« Reply #393 on: February 17, 2013, 12:58:36 pm »
Chasing belly rings!lol!
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline KellyG

« Reply #394 on: February 17, 2013, 01:25:50 pm »
some nice looking work going on here. It is warming up out so I may be able to chase a ring myself to start my trade bow.

Offline randman

« Reply #395 on: February 17, 2013, 02:56:19 pm »
Man lots of nice work goin on here.

Lesken, nice job on that. Great tiller. If you are trying to gain weight just put a second set of nocks further down that oversized tip (you have enough
room for probably 2 more). That would give you adjustable weight bow. 3 different weights just slip on a shorter string. Course then you'd have to have 3 strings. Hmmmmm....................gives me an idea
Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

Offline randman

« Reply #396 on: February 17, 2013, 03:05:36 pm »
Decisions, decisions, which one is it going to be out of this pile of wood of various stages of finish. Got some yew, ocean spray, hawthorn, vine maple, purple leaf plum, sequoia, incense cedar, laurel, scotch broom, Am. hornbeam and some others in there. Already moved on from plan A to B already. Got enough backups in that pile for most contingencies......................

Offline JLoranger

• JLoranger Illustration
« Reply #397 on: February 17, 2013, 03:15:03 pm »
Decisions, decisions, which one is it going to be out of this pile of wood of various stages of finish. Got some yew, ocean spray, hawthorn, vine maple, purple leaf plum, sequoia, incense cedar, laurel, scotch broom, Am. hornbeam and some others in there. Already moved on from plan A to B already. Got enough backups in that pile for most contingencies......................

You only have a couple on the go there! hahaha
Giving it your best effort is what anyone should expect.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #398 on: February 17, 2013, 03:41:55 pm »
I dont see a good piece a wood in that batch Randman. You need me to send ya' some?
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline randman

« Reply #399 on: February 17, 2013, 04:01:49 pm »
Yeah Pearly, we got all the other good stuff except the legendary "ol yeller". Only seen it in pictures....and bad boards in the hard wood store. Never even touched a osage bow...............But then,  that's always the quest isn't it, working something you've never tried before.............Someday....someday....

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
« Reply #400 on: February 17, 2013, 04:26:49 pm »
That was a good idea, Randman. Too bad I saw your post after I had already taken the tips down. I will have to remember that next time. I got the first coat of shellac on her a few minutes ago. It's kinda chilly down here. Not sure how it will take, but I'm runnin out of time for next weekend's shoot. If I have to redo it I can do it after the shoot.
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Ephesians 2:8-9

Kenny from Mississippi, USA

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #401 on: February 17, 2013, 07:03:36 pm »
I just shot mine 12-15 times. Its 51-52# @ 26". It feels good to shoot, it looks so-so braced and drawn due to the staves characteristics. The bow is only 57" ntn, but it feels good out to 27". I will shoot it another 50-60 times and see what I see. It has no reflex and is straight tip to tip, but It only had 1 1/2" when I started. Im too damn picky....
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #402 on: February 17, 2013, 07:55:12 pm »
Got the belly split done and chased a ring on it.  Might get a little short narrow plains style bow out of it.  Not sure yet.  This stave is exceptional quality Bois D'ark!  I haven't worked one this dense in a looong time.  Look at the pic below.  The saw dust on the right is from Plan B stave.  The darker pile to the left is plan A and it's belly wood that hasn't been exposed.  Tough on my draw knife!  Love it!  All I gotta do is my part now.  Got it shaped up and headed toward floor tiller.

Thanks for the stave Juando!
« Last Edit: February 17, 2013, 08:14:27 pm by SLIMBOB »
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline Juan

« Reply #403 on: February 17, 2013, 08:36:54 pm »
Your welcome.. really anxious to see how it comes out.

Offline coaster500

« Reply #404 on: February 17, 2013, 11:33:19 pm »

Pretty slim pickins there randman :)
Inspiration, information and instruction by the ton and it's free,,, such a deal :)