Author Topic: 2013 Bow Trade Works In Progress  (Read 547855 times)

Offline juniper junkie

Re: 2013 Bow Trade Works In Progress
« Reply #435 on: February 18, 2013, 10:10:35 pm »
nice work on those bows. I too thought about a molly,,,must be the moon phase ;) anyhow, what I got is a syringa stave that is 66" long, has some nice reflex to it. I worked it down and got it somewhat tillered. I think I will back it with rawhide before I get it to going to full draw. need to make it 28" draw.

Offline Arrowind

« Reply #436 on: February 18, 2013, 10:33:08 pm »
Cardboard_Duck -  If you need my address again let me know.  Can't wait to shoot that sucker!  Sweet.  Man i'm lucky!

Ryoon - send it to me.  I'll give it a nice home.  ;D

blackhawk - any molly's you don't want send em to me.  I'll take good care of 'em.

Juniper Junkie - looking sweet! USPS shouldn't bee that much to AZ. 

Hunterbob - I'm in the PA bow trade!  Awesome.  Man I'm lucky.  Can't wait to shoot that one too!

Hey Jon - that iron wood bow will work for me....awesome!

Roy - look'n good!  Just remember I'm in AZ.

;D :D :o ::) :P :laugh: :laugh: :) 

Seriously though.  It's awesome to see so many excellent bows in the works!!!
Talking trees. What do trees have to talk about, hmm... except the consistency of squirrel droppings?

Offline turtle

• PA1007207
« Reply #437 on: February 18, 2013, 11:31:14 pm »
Wow! Some great bows being turned out fast. Im planning on making myself a caul tommorrow and getting the bow im working on lined up and heat treated. Been needing to make a caul for several years but keep on just winging it without one. Will probably start a plan b while this ones rehydrating as it has two nasty knots side by side in the middle of the same limb. I think i can get a good bow out of it but its too early to tell for sure yet.
Steve Bennett

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #438 on: February 18, 2013, 11:41:41 pm »
Real nice looking bows, all of em'. Gonna be a a lot of fun seeing all these fine trade bows over the next several weeks. I hope to have some progress on mine in the next day or two. Keep em' coming gang.
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline RyanY

« Reply #439 on: February 19, 2013, 12:07:48 am »
In the process of sanding the bow down and shooting it here and there. I'm not sure I'll be able to give this one away.   >:D

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #440 on: February 19, 2013, 01:25:23 am »
 :o :o :o :o Looks like everyone has been busy!   I still haven't decided on which stave yet.  I feel like a slacker after catching up on this thread. 

Great work everybody.  Too many stand out  to name  them all. 
"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso

Offline Gus

• It's Time To Make Some Shavings!
« Reply #441 on: February 19, 2013, 02:50:59 am »
Here is my number one Candidate.
This is a Beauty of a chunk of Osage that George gifted me last year at Cross Plains.
There may be two bows in there but its too soon to tell, at least for me... :)

It should have a touch of charactor.
Used a draw knife to debark and remove the sapwood and a few of the upper rings.
Now it is strictly scraper time!  :)
For scale she's still seven foot, not planning to cut her till I get a ring.

-gus
"I taught him archery everyday, and when he got good at it he throw an arrow at me."

Conroe, TX

blackhawk

« Reply #442 on: February 19, 2013, 07:54:05 am »
Ryoon ..the ones you don't wanna give away are the ones you do give away....that means its a good bow,and only good bows should leave the shop...I know how ya feel...I have one right now I made for someone that I don't wanna give up either...but she must go as she is not mine.

Gus...gotta question for ya.....do you like sadistic torture?  >:D  :laugh:

Offline okie64

« Reply #443 on: February 19, 2013, 07:58:41 am »
Dang Gus!!! Now that is some beautiful character, cant wait to see it finished.

Offline coaster500

« Reply #444 on: February 19, 2013, 10:42:03 am »
I guy goes to work, comes home to find PA has turned into MollyLand !!!! Nice work guys !!!

Gus that old girls gonna have a pretty back :)

Got Wednesday off, finally get to work a bit on a bow or two or three or ????????????????
Inspiration, information and instruction by the ton and it's free,,, such a deal :)

Offline RyanY

« Reply #445 on: February 19, 2013, 10:47:23 am »
Chris, I told myself before starting this that I wanted to make something that I wouldn't want to give away. Looks like I'm succeeding so far. I'll just have to build another one after.  :P

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #446 on: February 19, 2013, 11:27:33 am »
Good looking stuff yall are coming up with,I have my stave ready to cut out,GregB and I wanted to do a couple out of some old sisters we had. He got his ring chases and cut out,wound up getting 3 good staves,I am pretty sure I will use the one I have ,he is still deciding on this or a prime HHB stave he has had laid back. This is us so far. Probably won't get much more done until next weekend,got 15 scouts this weekend to build bows so we will be very busy.  ;) ;D ;D This was some very clean Osage,some of the best we have.
Well seasoned. ;) ;D ;D ;D
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline hunterbob

« Reply #447 on: February 19, 2013, 11:44:09 am »
sweet Pappy. when you send the bow out to me you could ship the band saw to . LOL

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #448 on: February 19, 2013, 12:37:58 pm »
Chris, I told myself before starting this that I wanted to make something that I wouldn't want to give away. Looks like I'm succeeding so far. I'll just have to build another one after.  :P

Very nice doc! Thats exactly what the goal of this swap is. Build your absolute best bow, the kind you donrt want to give away.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline _Jon_

« Reply #449 on: February 19, 2013, 02:12:11 pm »
This one didn't work out for the fellow I'm building for.  It was only 64" Tip to Tip.  Would'nt make the draw needed to last very long.  Thought I'd show how it turned out anyhow.

HHB (Iron Wood) 64 Tip to Tip, 62 Nock to nock, and 49# @ 27"

Member of "Twin Oaks Bow Hunters,"  Chapmansboro, Tennessee