Author Topic: 2013 Bow Trade Works In Progress  (Read 548861 times)

Offline juniper junkie

Re: 2013 Bow Trade Works In Progress
« Reply #675 on: February 28, 2013, 12:29:10 am »
finished the heat treating of the belly, evened out the reflex some. this is how she looks after the heat

Offline soy

• pm106221
« Reply #676 on: February 28, 2013, 04:29:18 am »
that will work!!!
Is this bow making a sickness? or the cure...

Offline MWirwicki

• The wood speaks to you; Listen with your eyes. GSD
« Reply #677 on: February 28, 2013, 08:51:14 am »
Looks great JJ.  Ought to be a performer!
Matt Wirwicki
Owosso, MI

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #678 on: February 28, 2013, 09:33:47 am »
That baby is looking good juniper,should be a shooter,Matt the billets are looking good also. :) Got the grip worked a bit and tips glued up yesterday on the Persimmon.Hope to finish the tillering this weekend.So far so good but I learned a long time ago not to fall in love with a piece of wood. I am trying hard not to. ;) ;D
Kind of hoping I miss weight,then I can just keep it. >:D >:D ;) Will got a nice ,kind of snaky Osage laid out and floor tillered yesterday and ready for the form, it should turn out a beauty. :) Very clean wood for sure. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #679 on: February 28, 2013, 09:55:05 am »
Got mine shipped and on its way yesterday.

Matt those billets are sweet just the way they is.

JJ that is some seriously sexy reflex, boy I love reflex in a bow!
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline uncleduck

• Dave W
« Reply #680 on: February 28, 2013, 10:03:29 am »
I got my BL stave down to floor  tiller and heated in about 2" of reflex and removed a little prop twist. It is a little narrower than I would have liked (~1 7/16 at the fade), but as wide as the stave would let me go. This is my first BL stave, so we will see how it goes.

Offline danny f

« Reply #681 on: February 28, 2013, 03:23:26 pm »
theres some great bows being built on this thread :), i have done abit more on mine. i have put a thin tip overlay on, and will be putting another on asap. i have narrowed the tips down. and have removed a little wood from the right mid limb, i have also started to shape the handle and put the arrow shelf in. i put about 60 arrows through today and it is fast and accurate. definately my best shooter yet. my main worry is it has 1.5" of set on each limb and about 2" after shooting. is this acceptable?. heres how the tiller is looking i am now drawing it from the arrow shelf which is an inch above centre.

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #682 on: February 28, 2013, 03:55:49 pm »
If your done your done !
Can you see that it bends to much near the handle fade on the left and neither side is bending enough near the lever fades ?
Hope you are having fun !
Guy
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #683 on: February 28, 2013, 04:24:08 pm »
I agree with the wrothless old nut. Mollys need all the bend they can get from the working portion. Your left side is dang close.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline danny f

« Reply #684 on: February 28, 2013, 04:38:43 pm »
no not done. i have a couple of inches to go yet so i will take your advice and get it bending more.  i thought it was bending ok. but im no expert and its the first molly i have done. i thought i would put some arrows through to see how it performed as i dont draw as long as my recipient. but yeh im havin fun.  :)

Offline danny f

« Reply #685 on: February 28, 2013, 04:41:49 pm »
i forgot to say pearl drums. i thought the right limb had the best bend. what is it about the left that looks closer to you. it looks slightly stiffer to me? thanks for any advice.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #686 on: February 28, 2013, 04:46:22 pm »
I believe your right limb is slightly stiff right at the fades while the left limb bends right off the fades. Turn your head sideways to your right and look at it as if it was upright. Or, try rotating your pic. For me its easier to see the bend if the bow is upright rather than laying down.

Offline danny f

« Reply #687 on: February 28, 2013, 04:56:41 pm »
i have rotated the pic so its the right way up as it would be shot.

Offline doulosparachristos

« Reply #688 on: February 28, 2013, 05:46:44 pm »
ohh no! im all set to send off my trade bow, but today i went out to the shop and pulled out a junky looking stave to start working down; it turns out to be beautiful. so my dilemma is: do i send my trade bow out, or wait to see if this new stave produces a prettier bow? im happy with what i have made, however, i want my recipient to have me best. advice?

Roy H.
Philippians 3: 7-11

Offline JLoranger

• JLoranger Illustration
« Reply #689 on: February 28, 2013, 05:47:54 pm »
i have rotated the pic so its the right way up as it would be shot.

Hope this might help!
Giving it your best effort is what anyone should expect.