Author Topic: 2013 Bow Trade Works In Progress  (Read 548869 times)

Offline 1442

Re: 2013 Bow Trade Works In Progress
« Reply #870 on: March 11, 2013, 08:04:30 pm »
Well! I'm back from working at the beech for now. I was replacing a wood floor down there and it turned out to be bamaoo flooring that I was removing. I made a couple bows out of it during spare time, but it seems really brittle and very low weight for the deminsions too. I used steel leader material for a string and bought a rasp at the lumber store to work with.
 I also managed to find an arrowhead on the beech. That was the highlight of the trip to find an arrowhead amongst all the sand and shell fragments.
My trade bow is still where it was when I left. I've got the bark peeled and I have high hopes for this stick but have a long ways to go yet.
Ya'll keep up the good work.

Offline uncleduck

• Dave W
« Reply #871 on: March 11, 2013, 10:29:36 pm »
Well, I have plans A-C bending with the short string....just have to put aside some time to finish tillering.

Offline Knapper

• David Atnip
« Reply #872 on: March 11, 2013, 11:19:40 pm »
Worked on plan A sat. With the long string, getting it tamed. Took tonight off to split a huge honken Osage log and debark a winged elm stave.
Knapper
Ad Dare Servire
PM104250

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #873 on: March 12, 2013, 08:50:32 am »
Seems everyone has "plans" going on with these trade bows...win, win, because of a good chance of having several bows made when it's all said and done.

My plan "A" is a hhb...hoping it will work out. Been taking my time on it, just needs to be shot some now prior to finishing. Plan's "B, C" are both osage. I have them roughed in and reflexed. Can start getting them to brace.
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Offline bubby

« Reply #874 on: March 12, 2013, 07:49:25 pm »
thought I should check in, got 4 bows in the works, two staves and a glue up and a eastern woodland, might do one more glueup  then I can pick the best that I get to ship, but we got a long time to think about it, Bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Will H

« Reply #875 on: March 12, 2013, 08:15:09 pm »
Well I thought id check in and say I got mine tillered and shot some today. I need to get the string tracking a little better but that's no big deal. It's kinda snakey so I'm gonna have to get some skins on it before the classic. Im thinkin COPPERHEAD!!!  >:D
Proud Member of Twin Oaks Bowhunters
           Clarksville, Tennessee

"Middle Tennessee is the place to be"

blackhawk

« Reply #876 on: March 12, 2013, 08:18:29 pm »
Well I thought id check in and say I got mine tillered and shot some today. I need to get the string tracking a little better but that's no big deal. It's kinda snakey so I'm gonna have to get some skins on it before the classic. Im thinkin COPPERHEAD!!!  >:D

Hmmm??....before the classic eh....wonder why?   I think that narrows the possibilities down and gives me better odds  ;D

Offline turtle

• PA1007207
« Reply #877 on: March 12, 2013, 09:13:04 pm »
Put a few arrows thru the one im working on. First time i tried top limb longer than bottom. Have it right at my victoms max weight right now but it will drop a few pounds before done. Still might even up the limb lengths as its making me cross eyed trying to get tiller perfect.
Steve Bennett

Offline Will H

« Reply #878 on: March 12, 2013, 09:23:35 pm »
Yeah I hear ya Hawkman! Naa, I just set a goal to get mine done before the classic. I'm not much on building bows during the summer  ::)  :laugh:
Proud Member of Twin Oaks Bowhunters
           Clarksville, Tennessee

"Middle Tennessee is the place to be"

Offline JonW

« Reply #879 on: March 12, 2013, 09:52:29 pm »
Well I've had my bow done for a couple weeks now. I wanted to shoot it some more but I had a major accident over the weekend. I'll not be able to shoot or build bows for quite awhile. I'm just glad I got it done before this happened. Plan on shipping out this week.

Offline lostarrow

« Reply #880 on: March 12, 2013, 11:03:07 pm »
Hope things aren't too bad for ya, JonW!Get well soon , whatever happened . Still waiting on a grand inspiration on this trade. Sending out the Red Oak trade this week. A lot of guys seem to be going with the mollies  and HHB .Hmmmmmmmmmmmm...................... something different.

Offline hedgeapple

« Reply #881 on: March 13, 2013, 01:35:11 am »
Put a few arrows thru the one im working on. First time i tried top limb longer than bottom. Have it right at my victoms max weight right now but it will drop a few pounds before done. Still might even up the limb lengths as its making me cross eyed trying to get tiller perfect.

I was thinking the same thing.

JonW, I hope you get well soon.
Dave   Richmond, KY
26" draw

Offline steelslinger

« Reply #882 on: March 13, 2013, 11:11:27 am »
Just thought I would check in. I am currently in a holding pattern as I have had some major electrical issues with my home. I had 2 light fixtures that all of the wiring melted. I hope to get something done on my trade this week.

Offline Gus

• It's Time To Make Some Shavings!
« Reply #883 on: March 14, 2013, 12:35:34 am »
Finally got this stave chased down to a ring.

Here it is as of this afternoon...

Zed was pretty taken with it.
Hope my victim don't mind some teeth marks in their bow... :)

-gus
"I taught him archery everyday, and when he got good at it he throw an arrow at me."

Conroe, TX

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #884 on: March 14, 2013, 08:27:43 am »
Looks like everyone is coming along nicely,got my plan B floor tillered,but we have a big event at the club this weekend so probably won't get time to do anything else until this is over.  ;) :) Maybe next week,my plan is to have it ready by the Classic also. ;) ;D ;D Don't read anything into that Chris. ;) :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good