Author Topic: 2013 Bow Trade Works In Progress  (Read 547823 times)

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: 2013 Bow Trade Works In Progress
« Reply #930 on: March 20, 2013, 01:31:08 pm »
Nice lloking work fellers.

Turtle what are you working with there?
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline turtle

• PA1007207
« Reply #931 on: March 20, 2013, 01:37:27 pm »
Flowering Dogwood. ;)
Steve Bennett

Offline turtle

• PA1007207
« Reply #932 on: March 20, 2013, 03:14:55 pm »
Dogwood go BOOM! :-\   Oh well.......it was my own fault...........it snapped about 6 inches from bottom tip at a place where i accidently scorched the back while putting in reflex and heat treating. I have another dogwood bow that broke after hunting with it for 4 years ( let it get to dry because i wasnt watching my humidity) so somday i might marry the two together. ;)   On to plan B, maybe hickory,  or white ash, or black walnut, or hackberry,or erc,or OSAGE!
Steve Bennett

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #933 on: March 20, 2013, 03:16:24 pm »
Bumm-errrrrrrr
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline ionicmuffin

« Reply #934 on: March 20, 2013, 03:39:46 pm »
it would be cool to see an ERC on here even though im not in the trade i remember recalling that this is to stretch your limits and hopefully to help you learn, unless of course your just amazing at building erc bow  ;D >:D ::) ive seen very few black walnuts as well. where as, ive seen a lot(in this trade alone) of osage lol. in my personal opinion if you know you can make a nice bow out of something other than osage then go for it! be the odd ball out lol. just my 2 cents ;) oops, there i go again....money... er i mean, that's my opinion  >:D ;D ;)
Amo innectis arcus- I love crafting bows (latin)

Offline turtle

• PA1007207
« Reply #935 on: March 20, 2013, 04:04:29 pm »
it would be cool to see an ERC on here even though im not in the trade i remember recalling that this is to stretch your limits and hopefully to help you learn, unless of course your just amazing at building erc bow  ;D >:D ::) ive seen very few black walnuts as well. where as, ive seen a lot(in this trade alone) of osage lol. in my personal opinion if you know you can make a nice bow out of something other than osage then go for it! be the odd ball out lol. just my 2 cents ;) oops, there i go again....money... er i mean, that's my opinion  >:D ;D ;)

I believe pappy already recieved a nice erc molly.
Steve Bennett

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #936 on: March 20, 2013, 04:07:42 pm »
True story Steve.

Offline ionicmuffin

« Reply #937 on: March 20, 2013, 04:14:49 pm »
ok, i guess thats true. How about that Black walnut or the ash would be another good one. Not saying you shouldnt do osage just think it would be cool to see more of the other types  :laugh:

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #938 on: March 21, 2013, 07:17:41 am »
I certainly did, ERC ,beautiful bow.  :) I got plan B on and off the form yesterday,had it 33@16 so right on target for the weight at the draw I am looking for before the tweaking. Also glued up the tip over lays while I am waithing for it to rehydrate for a few days. Planing on getting the tips and handle pretty well finished/string made and hopefully finish tillering and shoot it in this weekend. :)
That's my plan anyway,seems I get a lot of Monkey wrenches thrown into my plans sometimes. ;) ;D ;D
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline ionicmuffin

« Reply #939 on: March 21, 2013, 10:46:49 am »
that is one BEAUTIFUL bow! you sure lucked out there pappy!

Offline Knapper

• David Atnip
« Reply #940 on: March 21, 2013, 11:19:04 am »
Checking in, havent been around for a few days. Got plan A on the long string and thats about it for now. taking 10 boys on a 25 mile hike this last weekend of spring break if weather permits :o
Knapper
Ad Dare Servire
PM104250

Offline rps3

« Reply #941 on: March 21, 2013, 11:55:18 am »
Looking good knapper, I would say you are dealing with those couple woop de doos very well.

Offline ionicmuffin

« Reply #942 on: March 21, 2013, 12:01:01 pm »
liking the way that one looks knapper! keep it up guys!

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #943 on: March 21, 2013, 12:18:41 pm »
Getting there Dave, few scrapes here and there and you gotta bow!

Offline coaster500

« Reply #944 on: March 21, 2013, 12:28:35 pm »
Sweet Pappy!!!!  Congrats :)

Looking great Knapper!!!!

Working on one of my candidates and would like some opinions. I struggled a bit with this Yew stave. It had some twist and need a bit of straightening (plain did not want to heat bend). When I was close to weight it started to twist right at the handle so I cut in two pieces (one one each side) of heart wood to stiffen that area and it seem to have worked. I've put a 100 of so arrow through it and it seems to be holding up well.

Question #1.....  The back is so white would you skin it??

Question #2..... If you received this bow with my attempt at stiffening the handle would you be happy with it??? 

Looking for honest opinions.....  I have several candidates aside from this Yew ELB…

Inspiration, information and instruction by the ton and it's free,,, such a deal :)