Author Topic: 2013 Bow Trade Works In Progress  (Read 547839 times)

Offline Badly Bent

Re: 2013 Bow Trade Works In Progress
« Reply #1545 on: June 11, 2013, 11:04:57 pm »
Man all these bows are looking great, real nice work being done. :) :) :)
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline hedgeapple

« Reply #1546 on: June 12, 2013, 01:20:21 am »
I got mine bow for the trade to a long string.  I was hoping to get some work done on it today and tomorrow, but my back went out.  grr.

I have a potential problem with the stave.  It may or may not be an issue.  But I won't know until I get it bending better.  I decided to flip the tips a little nothing too drastic.  But, there was a small island run-off on the belly right where most of the bend would be.  I decided to remove that island.  It was screaming, "I'll lift a splitter!"  Now that one tip might be too thin for the rounded belly bow that I'd planned to make.  I've only made one other round belly bow.  It seems to be thicker than the flat belly bows I've made in the past that were my same draw weight/length.  ANY THOUGHTS?

My plan of action is to:
reduce the belly more, which it needs, then start tillering to see what happens.  If the recurve pulls out I'm thinking I could:
   a. shorten the bow.  not really wanting to shorten it as much I would need to do to remove the thin spot.
   b. use a long cow horn tip overlay to support the reflexed tips.
   c.  start another bow.
stave stats.
osage 1 1/4 width 60% out the tips then tapers.
64" t2t
target 26 @ 50-55
slightly bendy handle that is cut in to 1" width.

Help appreciated.
Dave   Richmond, KY
26" draw

Offline steve b.

« Reply #1547 on: June 12, 2013, 01:37:56 am »
Well it only took me 3 months to make half a bow.  I tried to get fancy with some character vinemaple and gave up after destroying the second one then switched to osage staves, the first of which was apparently cut from a tree by a blind guy with a chainsaw.  I ended up using that bow to test stain and rawhide techniques and moved on to this one.  After all of that I came in a few lbs. low anyway.  Other than that it came out pretty good but I was disappointed enough that I decided to throw in a bonus bow and a mystery gift for my trade recipient.

Ok, that's the sob story.  Here's the bows, a 65" and 66" osage and hickory.  The osage is just under 40 lbs. @27", partially backed with rawhide and a reddish stain, and exotic hardwood tips and zebra hair rest.  The hickory is just over 40 lbs. @27", parallel with trapped eges, charcoal/alcohol stain, oak heartwood tips, and my first ever cushion handle for a D-bow.  The poofy string silencers are llama and badger.

Offline steve b.

« Reply #1548 on: June 12, 2013, 01:42:17 am »

Offline steve b.

« Reply #1549 on: June 12, 2013, 01:46:34 am »

blackhawk

« Reply #1550 on: June 12, 2013, 07:41:01 am »
Start tillering n see what happens Dave...if not sounds like you have a lil bit of length to chop off if need be ;)

Cool bends Steve :)

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
« Reply #1551 on: June 12, 2013, 09:34:55 am »
Two really sweet benders, Steve. I really like that red stained rawhide. What did you use to stain it with?
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Ephesians 2:8-9

Kenny from Mississippi, USA

Offline steelslinger

« Reply #1552 on: June 12, 2013, 11:12:29 am »
This is my ash bow I have been working on. The prop twist can make the tiller look different from side to side, so you get two pictures to critique my tiller. The bow is about 68" tip to tip.
The first pic has the bottom limb on the left, the second hat the bottom on the right.

Offline steelslinger

« Reply #1553 on: June 12, 2013, 04:48:40 pm »
anyone?

Offline Gus

• It's Time To Make Some Shavings!
« Reply #1554 on: June 12, 2013, 06:23:06 pm »
Whew Fellers,

There are some Fine Looking Bows shaping up this year...

Finally got back to work on the things that matter (Bows), after finishing up a bunch of work on things that don't (Most Everything Else)...

And ran into some issues with my Candidate "A" stave.
There are Several hurdles to overcome with this stave and I will sometime down the road.
But the bottom line is that I just wouldn't feel comfortable sending the bow made from this stave to my recipient.
Here is the biggest Issue in the first two shots, a Mean Check that is Wide and Deep. its only  a check on the back but a Problem on the Belly.

And a shot of the Backup Stave. A stave that George gifted me at Cross Plains Feb or March 2012.
Y'all have seen it before, and several of the Houston folks did some Ring Chasing learning on it last year or was it the year before?
At any rate it's at least two years seasoned and hard as Bone...
So it should have some Good Medicine.

-gus
"I taught him archery everyday, and when he got good at it he throw an arrow at me."

Conroe, TX

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #1555 on: June 12, 2013, 06:40:59 pm »
Those look nice Steve. 
Gus, looks like you just need some superglue.
Brad, what does your front profile look like?
"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso

Offline steelslinger

« Reply #1556 on: June 12, 2013, 10:34:01 pm »
Here is the front profile. It is 1.75 to mid limb tapering to 5/8 at the tips.

Offline okie64

« Reply #1557 on: June 13, 2013, 12:01:35 am »
Looks like the Bottom limb needs to bend more Brad. I would get the outer limb bending a bit more on the bottom and maybe a tad on the upper limb too. With those parallel limbs I wouldnt get anymore bend in the inner limbs. How much weight do you have left to lose?

Offline steelslinger

« Reply #1558 on: June 13, 2013, 12:41:48 am »
Ok that kind of what I thought after lookin at the pics for a while.  I am currently 1# over target.

Offline Gus

• It's Time To Make Some Shavings!
« Reply #1559 on: June 13, 2013, 02:41:11 am »
Well Carson, you aren't too far off the Mark.

I'll need to do some patches before further progress is made with this stave.

The Tear Out and Check in the Handle takes up almost Half of the mass of the
Handle and extends down into to Belly. So that it will have to be filled,
Even if I go Bendy Handle.

And there are Four more Similar Tear Out and Checks to be dealt with out on the limbs.
The severity of these features didn't become apparent until I got the stave reduced down to
it's present dimensions.

And I ain't a gonna test my patching skill out on a Trade Bow...
And I want it to be Purty!

:)

-gus
"I taught him archery everyday, and when he got good at it he throw an arrow at me."

Conroe, TX