Author Topic: 2013 Bow Trade Works In Progress  (Read 547836 times)

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: 2013 Bow Trade Works In Progress
« Reply #1800 on: July 25, 2013, 04:13:52 pm »
All the glue in the world wont help that issue. You need to have fades off the core. Gluing flat stock on flat stock is no good. Nothing but glue stops the flexing.

Always start with 3/4" belly stock, then add a 1" handle on top of that. By the time you tiller it out you will have a nice, long fade created and it will stop the handle flexing, which cause them to pop off.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2013, 04:23:10 pm by PEARL DRUMS »
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline danny f

« Reply #1801 on: July 25, 2013, 04:23:44 pm »
so do you think it will just keep happening? its never happened before. im seriously fecked off now :-[

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #1802 on: July 25, 2013, 04:26:44 pm »
Yes it will keep popping off. You could add an overlay on the back. That may stop the bending, or it may pop off as well.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline bubby

« Reply #1803 on: July 25, 2013, 04:32:55 pm »
All the glue in the world wont help that issue. You need to have fades off the core. Gluing flat stock on flat stock is no good. Nothing but glue stops the flexing.

Always start with 3/4" belly stock, then add a 1" handle on top of that. By the time you tiller it out you will have a nice, long fade created and it will stop the handle flexing, which cause them to pop off.

that's what I saw as well, you can try a 16" pc about 1/8" thick glued between the riser and belly and feather it out into the riser like a power lam and you may get lucky
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
« Reply #1804 on: July 25, 2013, 06:12:30 pm »
You have come too far on that one to lose it.  Don't get frustrated and rush to judgement on how to proceed. It looks like it can be salvaged. I am not sure about getting a stiff handle to work on it at this point, but you can build the handle up with cork. If you are interested, pm me and I will tell you how I do it. I have done several. and have been happy with the results. It is easy to work with and shape and is flexible enough to let the the bow bend a little through the handle.
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Ephesians 2:8-9

Kenny from Mississippi, USA

Offline Gus

• It's Time To Make Some Shavings!
« Reply #1805 on: July 25, 2013, 07:24:43 pm »
Maybe try building up a Leather Grip with layers of leather and CA Glue?

-gus
"I taught him archery everyday, and when he got good at it he throw an arrow at me."

Conroe, TX

Offline beetlebailey1977

• Bowhunters of South Carolina
« Reply #1806 on: July 25, 2013, 11:19:05 pm »
Yep build up a leather grip and forget about that handle......you have to have the fades be part of the core. 
Happy hunting to all!
Bowhunters of South Carolina Executive council member
Professional Bowhunters Society Associate member

Reevesville, SC     James V. Bailey II

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #1807 on: July 26, 2013, 12:20:08 am »
Very nice bow Grady and that belly grain is real pretty. Like the backing too, is that cherry bark backed? Gonna be a real beauty with the handle wrap I bet.
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline autologus

« Reply #1808 on: July 26, 2013, 12:34:43 am »
Thanks, I will hopefully get the grip on it tomorrow.  It is cherry bark I got from Carson.  It turned out very nice.

Grady
Proud Hillbilly from Arkansas.

Offline danny f

« Reply #1809 on: July 26, 2013, 04:11:19 am »
thanks for the advice, i have cut an arrow shelf in, so im not sure if just building up with leather  or cork would be strong enough?

Offline bubby

« Reply #1810 on: July 26, 2013, 06:01:33 am »
I think if you add that "power" lam like I mentioned you will be o.k., it has worked for me before
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

blackhawk

« Reply #1811 on: July 26, 2013, 07:54:31 am »
Danny just build it up with cork or leather and you can still shape a handle...and then stitch a leather grip over that and it'll be just fine....even tho you cut a shelf I think it'll still be OK as there looks to be enough width,and hopefully not very much bending is going on there...not sure there tho,and that's one cause for a lil concern

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #1812 on: July 26, 2013, 08:12:51 am »
I'm with Chris on that one,if you think it will bend where the cut out is I would at least back it with rawhide if I was building it up with leather or cork. Looks like in the last picture it is backed anyway,can't really tell. :-\ Hate it when that happens but if they bend at all in the handle it will happen most every time. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #1813 on: July 26, 2013, 08:21:22 am »
He lost 15# of draw weight when that handle popped off. Shorten it up 3-4" if you go bendy with it.

Offline Gaur

« Reply #1814 on: July 26, 2013, 10:02:52 am »
Here is where I am at on my yew take down backed with python skins.  It's 64" ntn.  Currently pulling 48.5# @ 27". 1.5" in fades.  my handle and fades are 9" total.  Bottom limb is slightly shorter.  Interesting knot on the upper limb and a bit of twist.  These were two billets from different trees.  Top limb is darker with a tighter rings.  Bottom limb still has pretty tight rings just not as tight as the top one.  You can sure feel the stored energy when you pull her back.

currently pulling 48 1/2 # @ 27".  Had hoped to be a few pounds heavier.   If a guy pulled it 28 inches it would hit 50# but I don't want to overstress the bow.   How's the tiller looking?
Thanks,  Randy
"...He made me a polished arrow and hid me in His quiver." Is 49:2