Linked Events

• Hawkeye Bowmen Selfbow Shoot: April 19, 2013 - April 21, 2013

Author Topic: Hawkeye Bowmen Selfbow Shoot  (Read 10735 times)

Offline BrianS

Hawkeye Bowmen Selfbow Shoot
« on: February 10, 2013, 07:19:48 pm »
Hawkeye Bowmen will be hosting our 10th Selfbow Shoot on April 19, 20 and 21 2013.
We put out about 20 targets and normally attract about 50 Shooters for this Event. We also run a few Contests ( archery woodswalk, hawk and knife, chronograph and cooking contest) throughout the Weekend. It is a very laid backed Shoot. On Saturday Evening we have a Pot Luck Dinner.
If you are looking for a small Shoot with plenty of room to set up camp this one might be of interest to you. Hawkeye is located at 13300 Clinton Street (Rte 354) Marilla New York. The Shoot opens at noon on Friday and closes at noon on Sunday. Hope to see some of our Friends from the Past and maybe a few new faces.
Take care,
Brian
« Last Edit: March 18, 2013, 12:11:46 am by Calendargirl »

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: Hawkeye Bowmen Selfbow Shoot
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2013, 08:49:02 am »
Ant been to this shoot yet [on my bucket list] but I can say it is run by a great bunch of guys/gals that I am proud to call friends,and know how to put on an event so it has to be a  blast. :)
  Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline BrianS

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2013, 03:17:19 pm »
Kevin finished up making this year's medallions. They are made from wood cut from a oak beam he found in a mid 1800s farmstead. The tree that the beam came from could have very well been alive and growing back in the 1700s. Each one is hand lettered with this years date. For those of you who do not know Kevin, he makes some very nice Turkey and deer Callers under the name of Buffalo Hunter Calls. THANK YOU Kevin for your hard work on the Shoot Medallions!

Offline Buffalogobbler

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2013, 10:28:52 am »
Pappy,
you and the Twin Oaks crew are a fine bunch yourself! and your all welcome up to Hawkeye any time.
We'd love to have ya!

Kevin
Beer is living proof that god loves us and wants us to be happy-Ben Franklin

Offline Buffalogobbler

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2013, 10:18:01 am »
The snow has started to melt and we spent the weekend clearing brush and downed trees, time to spruce the place up!
This shoot is coming up fast.
Can't wait to see everyone!
Hope you had a great winter.

Kevin

Offline MWirwicki

• The wood speaks to you; Listen with your eyes. GSD
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2013, 12:30:59 am »
I can't pull it off this year.  Gonna plan for next year.  Maybe we can talk Pappy into next year as well...  >:D
Matt Wirwicki
Owosso, MI

Offline BrianS

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2013, 12:21:25 am »
I had some requests to hold the "one log" primitive fire contest again this year so if anyone is interested in trying your hand at winning the Contest, make sure you pack your flint and steel kits, small hatchets or big knives and a cooking vessel that will hold at least a cup of water. I will fill Everyone in on the exact details at the Shoot. Dino went as far as to say he would pass on using his flint and steel this time and start his fire with a bow drill. There sure was some interesting thoughts on what methods to try last year and now that some of the guys know the drill I bet they do it even better this year.  Rob donated one of his handmade fire pistons as a prize for the contest this year.

Offline Buffalogobbler

« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2013, 11:07:37 am »
Matt, it was a pleasure meeting you and your family at Twin Oaks last May!
If you can ever get up to Hawkeye for our primitive shoot in April, we would love to have you.

Kevin

Offline Buffalogobbler

« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2013, 12:01:18 pm »
Good thing the shoot is'nt today, we just got another 5" of snow! :o
It should be gone by the time the shoot rolls around, hopefully ???

Kevin

Offline BrianS

« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2013, 11:31:09 pm »
We have had everything from warm and sunny to cold and snowy for the annual Hawkeye Spring Thaw Selfbow Shoot and the one thing in common every year was that Everyone had a good time by making the most of whatever Mother Nature threw our way. I can remember one year sleeping out in a open faced diamond shelter with 3 wool blankets in front of a big campfire with Night time temps down to 18 degrees. I also remember running the Woodswalk Qualifier one Year when the cross wind was blowing over 50 mph! We had a flint and steel station on the Woodswalk one time in the pouring rain and guys got their fires started. Of course we have had some years that the weather was Sunny and in the 70s. Regardless of whatever the Weather was, I always have a great time every year and I would not change a thing. If it gets too cold, we have a clubhouse with a gas furnace and a big woodstove for anyone who might want to warm up.

Offline MWirwicki

« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2013, 12:01:29 am »
Kevin:  I hear that I'd have to reserve a spot REAL early for next year's event.  Sure would like to make it then. 
Matt Wirwicki
Owosso, MI

Offline BrianS

« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2013, 08:38:12 am »
Reservations are for our Large Traditional Shoot in August. No Reservations are needed for our much smaller Self Bow Only Shoot in April.

Offline Buffalogobbler

« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2013, 05:12:51 pm »
Matt,
Just to give you a little more info.
Our big traditional shoot is held in August, longbows, recurves and self bows only.45 plus targets with unlimited shooting,kitchen open, breakfast, lunch and dinner,vendors,band,bow making, competitions and raffles. Almost all of the campsites are reserved for next year at the end of the shoot by those who camp there each year, it's kinda a bummer for those who are new and want to attend the shoot, but space is limited. That said, we will always try our best to accomodate those who wish to attend.Sometimes sites open up because of non-renewals or no shows, there are also 1 or 2 overflow tent sites.I asked Phil, our club Pres. and he said that for this year there is one site for a camper with an electric hook up avaliable.This year the Traditional Shoot is August 16-18.If you are thinking of attending our Traditional Shoot next year give us your contact info. and we will try to find a site for you after this years shoot is over and we know what sites are available.

For our Spring Thaw Primitive shoot held in April. Self bows and wood arrows only.About 20 targets with unlimited shooting. There is always plenty of room and no charge for camping, you need no reservations and can just show up and find your own place to camp, traditional(1800's) camp and dress are encouraged but NOT REQUIRED, you can use a modern tent or camper if you desire.The kitchen is not open, there is a campfire cooking contest, clout shoot, woods walk, hawk and knife throw and other contests and Sat. there is a camp wide pot luck dinner.

The two shoots are vastly different, the Traditional shoot is similar to the biggest shoots held accross the country, the primitive shoot is much smaller and more laid back.
I love both shoots but my favorite is the Primitive shoot. Either way we'd love to have you and your family up to Hawkeye!
And if you can get Pappy to come along, all the better.
One more thing, you can see video's from previous shoots on youtube, type Hawkeye Bowmen in the search bar and they will come up.

Kevin
« Last Edit: March 21, 2013, 05:17:13 pm by Buffalogobbler »

Offline MWirwicki

« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2013, 05:33:46 pm »
Cool!  Thanks Brian!  My Augusts are tied up at shoots in Michigan.  The April Primitive shoot sounds right up my alley!  Have a period tent and some clothing to go with it.  It would be fun to see me (the newbie) try to throw a hawk.   :PI've never done it.  :-[

Remind me again, when in April?  Which week.  I'll mark it on my calander so as not to fill it up next year.
Matt Wirwicki
Owosso, MI

Offline Buffalogobbler

« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2013, 12:09:45 am »
It's snowing again! :-X
Were making sure the camps are well stocked with fire wood.

Kevin