Author Topic: The difference between drying wood and seasoning it.  (Read 21932 times)

Offline sleek

The difference between drying wood and seasoning it.
« on: February 11, 2013, 12:53:01 pm »
I recently found myself doing research on making gun stocks. I came across this guy who seems very knowledgeable. I know its about gun stocks, but allot of this crosses over to bows. The part I am referring to is in the first few minutes of the video. I warn you, he is not entertaining. I would like to see what people think on what he has to say?

ACK! I forgot to add the link... lol

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&ved=0CFsQtwIwAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DkaLRQifGWaM&ei=MhoZUbeOJOm0yAGwl4G4DA&usg=AFQjCNFRFsmGBBbghxdrAENM9p4OIH3chQ&bvm=bv.42080656,d.aWc
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: The difference between drying wood and seasoning it.
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2013, 01:16:21 pm »
As far as I'm concerned there is a large difference between dry wood and seasoned wood. Seasoned wood is more stable, has better springiness and will take less set than dry wood. This goes cfor bow wood but arrow wood too.
  Most of the wood I use for bows is at least 2 to 3 years old and I have some staves over 10 years. The older the better.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2013, 01:18:48 pm »
As far as I'm concerned there is a large difference between dry wood and seasoned wood. Seasoned wood is more stable, has better springiness and will take less set than dry wood. This goes cfor bow wood but arrow wood too.
  Most of the wood I use for bows is at least 2 to 3 years old and I have some staves over 10 years. The older the better.

Yup. After 100 or so bows, Im picking up what Pat is throwing down. I may have disagreed a few years ago. I know better now!
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline burn em up chuck

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2013, 01:20:28 pm »
     thank you,I think I get it.

chuck
Honored to say I'm a Member of the

Twin Oaks Bowhunters club

Offline sleek

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2013, 01:25:50 pm »
You know, i wasnt even aware there was a difference until I saw this.

Offline Will H

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2013, 01:54:55 pm »
Yep I agree with Pat. Seasoned wood tends to make a little better bow. I will say that just cause a big stave has been seasoned for 3-5 years it dosent mean that if you cut a bow blank out of it it's dry and ready to tiller. It's just seasoned wood that depending on the size of the stave and where it's been kept and for how long, has equalized to it's environment. So if it's seasoned for 10 years but it's been outside in the barn that whole time and it's hot and muggy outside when you decide to work it chances are it still needs to dry.
Proud Member of Twin Oaks Bowhunters
           Clarksville, Tennessee

"Middle Tennessee is the place to be"

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2013, 02:16:54 pm »
So it would follow then that the longer a wood seasons the better it would be? I think that may well be true for yew, osage and black locust. Whitewoods degrade quickly though. I'm not sure there is a benefit to using say hickory that is 10 years old.  Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline sleek

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2013, 02:18:54 pm »
Does a roughed out bow season faster ( or need less time to season ) that a full stave?

Offline Will H

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2013, 02:23:41 pm »
I think you're right George. Three year seasoned hick is probably better than one though still I guess.

Sleek- I'd say wood seasons at the same rate no matter what it's size while wood DRYS faster in smaller forms.
Proud Member of Twin Oaks Bowhunters
           Clarksville, Tennessee

"Middle Tennessee is the place to be"

Offline RyanY

« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2013, 02:36:59 pm »
I'd like to understand why you guys have these opinions. What is the physiological difference between a dried and seasoned stave (more stable, springy, and less set?), why does that difference occur, what are the conditions that create a noticeable difference, and what about that difference would make a "better" bow? That also leads to how better is defined in this case.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2013, 02:44:54 pm »
 No clue doc. Your over my head now. I rely on experience and not science.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Hrothgar

« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2013, 02:51:41 pm »
I guess maybe 'seasoned' indicates complete and thorough drying, but there is probably chemical changes or hardening of other components besides moisture evaporation.
I agree with Will, less volumne of wood will dry quicker; however, that's not always desireable. If a freshly cut stave is brought into a dry house ( or similiar climate) it is more inclined to twist and possible crack through.
" To be, or not to be"...decisions, decisions, decisions.

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2013, 03:34:30 pm »
I know lumber can have internal stresses, heck, all big pieces of wood, staves and lumber alike, can have hidden internal stresses. This piece of cedar was cut from a perfectly straight board, it warped as I was cutting it on a bandsaw I recently bought (first one I ever owned, I am in love with it,  ;D).

"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2013, 03:59:43 pm »
I see it as the dry wood is without moisture but in seasoned wood the cell walls and resins in the wood have hardened over time. This probably makes the wood more brittle  but more resillient also.  I have no scientific proof of this but over many years and many bows I have noticed these differences
  The same goes with arrows. You can make arrows out of dry wood but you get better results, less warping and stays straighter,  from wood that is 2 or more years old. 
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline bow101

« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2013, 04:25:40 pm »
As far as I know old seasoned wood can become rotten and brittle over time. Having said that the time window between the tree having been cut down and milled can be very short. Of course it varies from species to species. Some wood that has been kiln and dried is just as good as the same stuff that has been sitting for 2 years. 7% to 11% moisture content should be the case for any wood that you are working on.
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell