Author Topic: Snakey Slippery Elm Selfbow (Full Draw Page 2)  (Read 14522 times)

Offline Dvshunter

Snakey Slippery Elm Selfbow (Full Draw Page 2)
« on: February 12, 2013, 01:24:57 pm »
This was my first round at the red elm I got from work. Some of you may have seen me use a trackhoe to split it. I'm glad I did! This one is 64 in. Ntn and pulls 45@28. Very lightly heat treated it. Holds about 1 1\2 in. Of reflex after shooting. Very snappy stuff. I got the skin from my pet shop guy and I forgot what kind of snake it is, but I liked the color.  The tips are cow horn and wenge. The grip is the same deer hide I got from roybert awhile back. Eight strand ultracam string with otter silencers. Thanks for looking.
Dave

« Last Edit: February 12, 2013, 09:18:07 pm by Dvshunter »
"There is a natural mystic blowing through the air; if you listen carefully now you will hear." Robert Nesta Marley

Offline Roy

Re: Snakey Slippery Elm Selfbow
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2013, 01:28:05 pm »
Sweet Dave.

Offline bcbull

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2013, 01:29:51 pm »
Looks extrmley good bro i love it that one needs to b in bow of month bro Brock

Offline Dvshunter

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2013, 01:30:22 pm »

I will get a full draw when I find someone to take one for me. Sorry, don't send the cops! Lol

"There is a natural mystic blowing through the air; if you listen carefully now you will hear." Robert Nesta Marley

Offline PrimitiveTim

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2013, 01:31:52 pm »
That is sweet looking!  The color scheme of the skin is making me think centralian carpet python but that middle stripe is throwing me off.  Where's the full draw picture at?
Florida to Kwajalein to Turkey and back in Florida again.  Good to be home but man was that an adventure!

Offline ErictheViking

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2013, 01:32:01 pm »
Beautiful work. love the heartwood showing up and your tips are sweet. Very nice!
"He that but looketh on a plate of ham and eggs to lust after it hath already committed breakfast with it in his heart"  C.S. Lewis

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2013, 01:32:29 pm »
I guess it ok..........
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Keenan

« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2013, 01:32:39 pm »
Sure love seeing your bows David. Top notch quallity

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2013, 01:55:55 pm »
What do you use to write on your bows Dave?
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Dvshunter

« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2013, 02:04:31 pm »
Thanks tim. I'll have it up tonight. :)

Thanks Eric.

Thanks Chris. That was ultra fine sharpie marker. It works okay I guess. The finishe is four coats of shellac and the marker writes well but will smear if you wipe to hard in the next coat.

Thanks Keenan. Right back at ya.

Offline k-hat

« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2013, 02:16:40 pm »
That's a beauty for sure.  Looks like my elm, everbody round here calls it cedar elm, i don't think that's the technical name.  Love the amount of heartwood you have it that one.  Well done in all respects :)

Offline coaster500

« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2013, 02:21:39 pm »
Dave super job...  Red Elm is on my list of to try woods but I don't think I could it it the justice you did...  great work!!!

Beautiful !!!
Inspiration, information and instruction by the ton and it's free,,, such a deal :)

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2013, 02:32:14 pm »
That is a beauty.  Love it all, but especially the tip overlays, nice touch!
"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso

blackhawk

« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2013, 02:38:06 pm »
Sweet Dave

One small word of caution tho for ya....plain sawn wenge tip overlays might become brittle and break off after a couple thousand shots...don't ask me how I know this ::) ever since then I make all my tip overlays with quarter sawn wood no matter what the species used and no issues ever since. Think about it..its like grooving into the back of a selfnock violating your back ring....its violating rings...even worse IMO because there's only a half inch of ring there holding it....they like to break right along the early growth

Offline Squirrelslayer

« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2013, 02:41:47 pm »
wow nice bow! loving the overlays
WARNING: posts may contain nuts.

http://squirrelslayers.forumshome.com/ - check out my forum, and if you like what you see... Join!

also on YouTube

https://www.youtube.com/user/cj822100?feature=mhee