Author Topic: Wheelbarrow handle.  (Read 5810 times)

Offline ionicmuffin

Wheelbarrow handle.
« on: February 12, 2013, 10:08:46 pm »
I was at lowes getting distracted by all the different possibilities for bow material and flintknapping material. So i went to the garden section and found this little beauty, or, at least i think its a beauty  ??? I think that it will make a great bow because its all pretty strait.
Amo innectis arcus- I love crafting bows (latin)

Offline sleek

Re: Wheelbarrow handle.
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2013, 10:16:45 pm »
I would make the last pic the back and keep it wide. You can get a bow of that.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2013, 10:20:11 pm »
Is that hickory or ash? Looks hickory like. I wouldnt go more than 1 5/8" wide, temper it and trap the back if its hickory. If its ash I would do the same but make it  1 3/4" wide.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline ionicmuffin

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2013, 10:24:24 pm »
good thinking, i thought i could get a bow. do you think i should cut it in half and splice together? also, should i follow the grain or make the bow flat along the sides? by this i mean should the side of the bow wiggle with the grain wiggles? i also have an inch and a half of depth and about 53 inches of length that i can play with, the width is about 2 inches. If i splice i can take the best parts and make a bow, or i could make two shortbows? thats my thoughts. I have no idea what wood it is, but it has to be hickory or ash, its heavy and seems quite durable.

Offline sleek

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2013, 10:39:20 pm »
Follow the wiggles of the grain. Also, the label usually tells you if its ash or hickory. what draw weight/length would you like? That will determine if you can leave it as is or not. If you cut it and splice, you will need a handle riser as it will not be thick enough there. Your best bet on a splice is to find another handle and splice two handles together. Now, all that being said, if its hickory, you can get away with how long it is now, depending on draw length. With a bendy handle you can get away with 25 inches draw just fine. I am betting on it being ash though, as that seems to be the most used for handles like that. Though the color makes it look like hickory.... But that grain... ahhhh I dont know.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline ionicmuffin

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2013, 10:43:41 pm »
i would like a 50 lber, but if i cant get that much id be alright with 40. I was thinking i would take the handle section off, i wasnt counting it in the length measurement.

Offline Maxspin

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2013, 11:30:47 pm »
If it were me, I would splice it. 53" is beyond my skill level.  :-\

Offline bow101

« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2013, 11:32:21 pm »
Mmmm would be of interest to see what kind of bow you get out of it.
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Offline autologus

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2013, 12:36:37 am »
The one I made is only 1 1/16" wide and 57" ntn and I got 40# at 28" draw from it.  It was a bend in the handle bow.  I believe the true temper wheel barrow handles are made of Ash.  I plan on making a sinew backed Ishi bow from the other half of mine.

Grady
Proud Hillbilly from Arkansas.

Offline tgtmatt

« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2013, 07:05:31 pm »
Post along as you go! I just bought a wheelbarrow handle today as I was browsing through lowes and I would love to see how I should begin.

Offline beetlebailey1977

• Bowhunters of South Carolina
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2013, 10:20:02 pm »
I have made two bows from hickory wheel barrow handles and have sent some good halves to other folks that have made bows from them.  They work real well if the grain is straight.  I orient it edge grain or quartersawn if possible.
Happy hunting to all!
Bowhunters of South Carolina Executive council member
Professional Bowhunters Society Associate member

Reevesville, SC     James V. Bailey II

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2013, 10:24:57 pm »
I'm so afraid this bow will end up a hybrid....you know, part compound, part primitive....with a wheel on one end of it!    >:D
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline turtle

• PA1007207
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2013, 11:42:52 pm »
I bought two rraly nice grained wheel barrow handles from lowes last week. They didnt say what wood they were but looks like white ash to me. Havnt decided whether to make bows out of them or cut backings strips from them.
Steve Bennett

Offline ionicmuffin

« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2013, 11:47:54 pm »
ill have to get to work on it one of these days. I currently have a board bow to finish for the red oak trade. once thats done i can get started.

Offline turtle

• PA1007207
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2013, 11:53:19 pm »
I'm so afraid this bow will end up a hybrid....you know, part compound, part primitive....with a wheel on one end of it!    >:D

That might be handy for wheeling your deer out of the woods instead of draging them.  ;)
Steve Bennett