Author Topic: Rawhide Backing.  (Read 1042 times)

Offline munkinstein

Rawhide Backing.
« on: February 13, 2013, 01:43:12 pm »
When backing a bow with rawhide, or any material for that matter, does it need to be one continuous strip covering the limb or can you use separate strips butted against one and other.  I had a lot of rawhide but I need to cut it into two strips for it to fit on one limb of the flatbow that I am building,as a novice I do not know if this is idea or not.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: Rawhide Backing.
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2013, 01:43:59 pm »
Butt it at the handle, no problems.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2013, 02:07:58 pm »
you have to butt it together, ahndle is best.

Butt (pun intended), if you have to do it mid limb, then lay the one piece down and let it dry.  Then sand with a block until you get rid of that square edged "step" from limb back to rawhide.  Then lay the other piece down so that it overlaps and allow that one to fully dry, too.  Then carefully sand the square edge off until the two bland into each other.  It would be much easier than trying to make a scarf joint. 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline bubby

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2013, 02:17:30 pm »
you have to butt it together, ahndle is best.

Butt (pun intended), if you have to do it mid limb, then lay the one piece down and let it dry.  Then sand with a block until you get rid of that square edged "step" from limb back to rawhide.  Then lay the other piece down so that it overlaps and allow that one to fully dry, too.  Then carefully sand the square edge off until the two bland into each other.  It would be much easier than trying to make a scarf joint. 

if you have to butt mid limb you will want to putt a wrap on it, been there, done that ::), Bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹