Author Topic: spliced osage bow lengths  (Read 1504 times)

Offline aero86

spliced osage bow lengths
« on: February 15, 2013, 11:39:24 pm »
so, its been a year or 2 since i made my last bow. and it was a red oak board bow, asian inspired with siyahs. anyways, i got my hands on a couple pieces of well cured osage and im wanting to make another bow. im a fan of short bows, and this bow will have to be spliced, something else i havent done. so, the handle wont be bendy. but i also want it to be a shorter bow. does anyone have any pics of shorter, spliced bows that i can maybe get some inspiration from?
profsaffel  "clogs like the devil" I always figured Lucifer to be more of a disco kind of guy.

Offline Gaur

Re: spliced osage bow lengths
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2013, 12:08:09 am »
If you like bendy handles I believe you can still do a W splice and have it bend through the handle.  It is suppose to be just as strong as a unspliced piece of wood.  I have done a W splice bow but it was a bamboo backed lemonwood hill style and I put a riser of rosewood over the splice on the belly side.

I have also made a short sinewed backed osage bow and used a take down sleeve.  I kept the riser as short as possible and it turned out pretty good.  Sorry I don't have pictures of it at the moment. 
"...He made me a polished arrow and hid me in His quiver." Is 49:2

Offline aero86

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2013, 12:18:38 am »
hmm. it just makes me nervous since ive never done a splice before. generally i make my handle sections smaller than usual. no larger than 4 inches.
profsaffel  "clogs like the devil" I always figured Lucifer to be more of a disco kind of guy.

Offline Cardboard_Duck

• Winter Haven, FL
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2013, 09:02:27 am »
I am about to splice for the first time also, as soon as my material gets here. I have made a template from this site http://bowyersworkshop.com/splicing1.htm
>>>---------->

blackhawk

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2013, 09:15:04 am »
Here's a short stiff handled spliced osage ...55.5" draws 26"....also search for some of Marc St Louis bows...he makes a lot of sub 60" spliced bows in R/D recurve fashion.

Here's mine I just did over Xmas holidays

http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php?topic=36840.0

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2013, 09:31:19 am »
Matt (MWiricki) makes a PILE of short spliced bows with or without sinew backing as well.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.