Author Topic: Bracer  (Read 3028 times)

Offline RobertofGwent

Bracer
« on: February 17, 2013, 07:43:29 pm »
Do any of the WBW guys have a copy of the Newport Ship bracer? There's a Latin(?) inscription on it which I can't make out in the online photos. I can't find a ref to it anywhere, but would be interested t know what it says. Of course, if anyone else happens to know, too - please could you shed some light?

Offline Yeomanbowman

• warbowwales
Re: Bracer
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2013, 12:43:04 pm »
Hi Robert,

The inscription is Latin and is simply ‘armilla’ or bracer along with punched decorations of hearts and roses.  The strap could have gone in the archer's time and been laced on but I think the holes look quite crude so were added later. 
For others a good image can be seen here...

http://www.peoplescollection.co.uk/Item/20562-archers-wrist-guardbracer-found-of-newport-sh

Offline RobertofGwent

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2013, 02:35:38 pm »
Thanks Yeomanbowman, that was the best image I could find, too. It's on display somewhere in Npt, but you have to make an appointment to see it. I'm making a bracer based on the design. I'm going to incise the leather, though, rather than stamp it. See you at the St David's Day shoot, hopefully.

Offline Yeomanbowman

• warbowwales
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2013, 04:45:23 pm »
Hi Robert,

When I saw the bracer it was displayed with a replica a few years ago.  I don't know who made it but it was beautiful.  An image can be found of it in Hugh Soar's Sectrets of the English Warbowon page 167.  Yes, hope to see you at the St. David's Day Shoot.

Jeremy

Offline RobertofGwent

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2013, 04:38:23 pm »
That's a book that's on my reading list - a very long list ...