Author Topic: Good Haul.(quick question)  (Read 3984 times)

youngbowyer

Good Haul.(quick question)
« on: February 18, 2013, 05:54:33 pm »
I'm running low on staves so I decided to take a walk through the forest to see if there was any good wood to be harvested. found a perfect elm tree and I made short work of it with an ax and a bowsaw. Managed to get 8 staves out of it. I split it at home and hauled the split halves home on my bike,  that was an interesting experience ;) Here's some pictures.

« Last Edit: February 19, 2013, 12:52:53 pm by youngbowyer »

Offline Zion

• The blacksmith's mare walks barefoot
Re: Good Haul.
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2013, 06:08:06 pm »
Lol did ya have to sit on the log while u rode? Nice haul bro those are some really nice pieces!
The secret of life is learning to make your own luck.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2013, 06:19:04 pm »
Your a good kid! You worked hard and are rewarded with a nice pile of bow staves. Good job!
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline stringstretcher

• Traditionalarcherycommunitysite.com
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2013, 06:21:06 pm »
Now for that I applaud you.  That is what it is all about.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2013, 06:24:06 pm »
Almost makes we wanna cry Chuck? You get so used to hearing a bunch of begging and BS , then this young MAN turns around and does this......yanks at my heart strings.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline bow101

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2013, 06:26:15 pm »
Way to go guy, have tree will travel  :laugh: one way or another ya get'er dun.  8)
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Offline rps3

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2013, 06:34:17 pm »
You are the man.

Offline wapiti1997

• Joe Lacefield Wildlife and Nature Photography
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2013, 06:37:53 pm »
Awesome!  You certainly put your heart in everything you do! I can't wait to see the bows you'll craft from those!

blackhawk

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2013, 06:50:55 pm »
 :) ...where there's a will there's a way... :)

Offline BowSlayer

« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2013, 07:01:41 pm »
i remember carrying home a oak log that the wind blew over, the bow broke into 3 peices (one limb broke while shooting the other i broke through fustration. )  >:D but i learnt from it. BD
London, England.

45#@28"

youngbowyer

« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2013, 07:10:51 pm »
haha thanks guys. And no I did not sit on the log. I ended up just walking the bike home with the log balanced on the seat and steering wheel. There's a bunch of nice straight hickory trees there as well but there's no need to be greedy. 8 staves will do it :laugh: I'd like to rough one stave out so i can work on it during spring break. Will elm check and warp roughed out?

Offline mwosborn

• Mitch Osborn
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2013, 07:47:56 pm »
Very cool.  Nice work young man!  I would seal the back and the ends on them.  Some guys say that it is not necessary on white woods but I have gotten checking on some that were not sealed. 
Enjoy the hunt!  Mitch

youngbowyer

« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2013, 08:04:50 pm »
Very cool.  Nice work young man!  I would seal the back and the ends on them.  Some guys say that it is not necessary on white woods but I have gotten checking on some that were not sealed.
ok, i sealed the ends, i will probably shelac the back then.

Offline TRACY

« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2013, 08:50:21 pm »
Very nice haul indeed! You're gonna like that elm for bows. I like your attitude and work ethic!

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2013, 10:23:26 pm »
Great job getting those staves.  Like mentioned above, it is great to see a young person working hard for something they want.   

You need to find some wheels and make some sort of a cart to pull behind your bike.  Once you get your license you are going to be a stave cutting machine  ;)
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left