Author Topic: wiggly osage harvest  (Read 9674 times)

Offline osage outlaw

wiggly osage harvest
« on: February 18, 2013, 10:02:02 pm »
I needed to cut some osage for the classic and today seemed like the perfect day, low 50's and sunny.  It has been 2 years since the last time I cut any.  I picked out a leaning tree that had a few straight areas in it.  I got 3 logs, a billet length piece, and two nice looking limbs.  On a couple of pieces I can see a wavy pattern to the bark so I hope the grain of the wood is the same.  I also looked around and cut some small but ancient looking trees.  They are hard as a rock and have the dark color to them.  I think the trees died a long time ago and they have just been aging gracefully.  I'm trying to study the trees to learn what the wood is going to be like inside. 

I don't know if you can see the wavy bark pattern in this picture.  Sometimes things just don't show up in a photo.

The two pieces on the left are the old trees.  The one has rings like Yew.

After I got all those cut and sealed my Dad came home and helped me drag them out with his utility truck.  Everything went so easy and quick that we decided to cut one more log out of a tree that fell across one of our trails.  We looked it over and decided to undercut it so it wouldn't pinch the saw.  We misread the tree and quickly had the saw stuck.  It took us an hour and a half to get that thing loose.  I think we were on plan D by the time we got it out.  After that we cut that one section free and headed for the house.

I'm not sure a 14" homelite is intended to cut some of the things I tackle with it.  Maybe next year Santa will bring me a bigger saw.

Dad let me store them in his garage for the next couple of months.

« Last Edit: February 19, 2013, 04:50:42 pm by osage outlaw »
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline seabass

Re: osage harvest
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2013, 10:05:49 pm »
nice haul Clint.that one log my have some snake in it.hopefully it has waves like that bark.
Middletown,Ohio

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2013, 10:16:24 pm »
I can't wait to meet these staves, I mean YOU, at the Classic!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2013, 10:18:55 pm »
No staves.  I'm bringing logs this year.  I may split them in half to make them easier to handle.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2013, 10:23:01 pm »
With constructive help and a good supervisor, I might be trained to run a maul and set of wedges!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2013, 10:28:20 pm »
OO, and others
OO not to hijack your post but my question is relayed
I know that there is a male and female osage tree. has any one seen a difference in bow preformance in the two??
Thanks DB
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

blackhawk

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2013, 10:29:13 pm »
What do I got to do to get that wavy one pal? I'm betting there's some snakes in that one. Pleeease may I have it  8)

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2013, 10:31:01 pm »
OO, and others
OO not to hijack your post but my question is relayed
I know that there is a male and female osage tree. has any one seen a difference in bow preformance in the two??
Thanks DB

Heck if I know.  Osage is Osage as far as I'm concerned.  Never even thought if it was male or female.

Offline Cloudfeather

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2013, 10:32:38 pm »
They say that Osage grows here in Ohio. I think I need to spend a day out, wandering the woods behind my house to see if I can find any. Buying them is getting old. lol

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2013, 10:40:36 pm »
What do I got to do to get that wavy one pal? I'm betting there's some snakes in that one. Pleeease may I have it  8)

I got one full section and the billet piece is like that.  I might split the billet tomorrow and see what its like inside.  I have a few trades going on with some logs so I can't promise anything.  If it turns out crazy grained I might be greedy and keep that one for myself  >:D

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2013, 10:41:43 pm »
I like every one of them!
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2013, 10:45:48 pm »
Nice haul and Nice Firebird!  You sure get a lot out of the homelite Clint  :o
"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso

Offline paulsemp

« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2013, 10:48:32 pm »
Fun stuff

Offline MWirwicki

• The wood speaks to you; Listen with your eyes. GSD
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2013, 10:48:45 pm »
Funny, the bar on my chainsaw is upside down, also!  ;D  It was 20 degrees when I used it a few days ago.  Chain fell off, well... you know.  Nice haul on the osage, Clint!  Gonna love that snakey one!
Matt Wirwicki
Owosso, MI

blackhawk

« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2013, 10:51:06 pm »
DB...I've cut a few males and made bows from them and as far as I'm concerned...osage is osage..and better than anything else ;)   the males I've cut have had darker orange colored wood and usually smaller rings...that's just my experience tho with them

Sled where in Ohio do you live...I'm betting there's hedge within minutes from ya..I have cut a bit of my hedge in Ohio.

Ok pal...how bout those two sister splits I see in it..cus that's all I want anyways >:D