Author Topic: elm longbows, part 3/3, 120/28 (No. 20)  (Read 7308 times)

Offline simson

• stonehill-primitive-bows
elm longbows, part 3/3, 120/28 (No. 20)
« on: February 19, 2013, 03:16:36 pm »
The third bow is really heavily heat treated, it has nearly the same dimensions as bow No. 2 - but came out with such a heavy drawweight I didn't expect. See my stuggle and my grimace in the fd pic, this is somehow in the 90#.

The bow is the bare stick, only tip overlays (horn) and arrowpass/mark (horn-bone-horn) added. The bow had about 90# before heating - I estimate about 120# after. I'm shure it will loose some weight in fine tillering and shooting in, but I cannot do this. My shoulder and my tillertree setup produces crack noises, so I wonder how to get on: leave it or bring down to at least 90.

74 ntn
bendy handle

can do measurements if you are intereated ...
hope you like that monster, enjoy ...

« Last Edit: December 19, 2014, 04:04:55 am by simson »
Simon
Bavaria, Germany

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: elm longbows, part 3/3
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2013, 03:46:18 pm »
I would bring the weight down Simon. If you cant shoot it you wont shoot it. What good is a bow you cant shoot? Still a nice piece of elm and a great looking profile unbraced.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline k-hat

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2013, 04:16:45 pm »
Better yet, just ship that lovely beast to me;)  I can't pull'r yet, but i bet i can get there! >:D

Seriously, i love what you've done with all these, a real testament to the power of elm, and your skills as a bowyer.

Offline Zion

• The blacksmith's mare walks barefoot
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2013, 10:09:11 pm »
Wicked bow man, just work out for like 3 weeks and you'll be able to pull it easy  >:D
The secret of life is learning to make your own luck.

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2013, 11:36:49 pm »
Another very nice elm bow by you Simon! I like everything about that bow but the 120 # draw, OUCH. To be honest even at 90# I
would feel the pain lol.

Greg
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline soy

• pm106221
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2013, 11:47:29 pm »
That is awesome!!! you should ship it to fish finder401 that's light weight for that stud puppy >:D  ;)
Is this bow making a sickness? or the cure...

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2013, 09:36:21 am »
Yeehaaa simson.Fine work there.Quite a jump in draw weight after heat treating huh.Like the arrow pass there.I would'nt want to shot that one more than a dozen times in a stretch.....LOL.What kind of elm do you have growing by you there?I've tried red or slippery elm here a few times and hav'nt been impressed.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2013, 10:41:01 am »
Beautiful wood and very nice work on the bow,I would do like pearl said or have to give it to somebody that could shoot it. That thing is over double what I can draw and shoot. Nice work. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline }|{opukc

• Patience my friend !!!
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2013, 02:00:57 pm »
Just beautiful elm!
Simson, you can try one technique - first pulling the bow close to the jaw, then just push forward. That's how I pulled one of my old 110 #. It serves as a warm up even greater weight.
George
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EiG2hP5y0SQ&list=UUzNjsGSk-vFoeGA1eYL_AMA&index=1
« Last Edit: February 20, 2013, 07:33:01 pm by }|{opukc »
Best regards from Bulgaria - George

Offline coaster500

« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2013, 02:33:30 pm »
Just beautiful elm!
Simon, you can try one technique - first pulling the bow close to the jaw, then just push forward. That's how I pulled one of my old 110 #. It serves as a warm up even greater weight.
George
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EiG2hP5y0SQ&list=UUzNjsGSk-vFoeGA1eYL_AMA&index=1

Ouch!!!!
Inspiration, information and instruction by the ton and it's free,,, such a deal :)

Offline Buffalogobbler

« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2013, 06:18:00 pm »
Another cool bow, I'll bet it really flings an arrow!(If you have the muscles to pull it back) ;)

Kevin
Beer is living proof that god loves us and wants us to be happy-Ben Franklin

Offline occupant

« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2013, 12:50:48 pm »
I ran across a short video on drawing a heavy bow. I dont remember the site but could find it if youre interested. It doesnt make a huge difference in drawing, but it does make it a little easier.

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2013, 01:01:44 pm »
Very nice bow.  I guess that elm likes a little toasting ;)
"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso

Offline simson

« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2013, 05:13:03 pm »
I ran across a short video on drawing a heavy bow. I dont remember the site but could find it if youre interested. It doesnt make a huge difference in drawing, but it does make it a little easier.

yeah I'm interested. I have it a little lighter ( still over 100), but no way for me to get it drawn clean ...
so if it is no great effort for you - it would be nice, thank you
Simon
Bavaria, Germany

Offline simson

« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2013, 05:17:19 pm »
Very nice bow.  I guess that elm likes a little toasting ;)

yes this one is heavily toasted  -  the smell filled the whole garage and came into the house. My wife came out and I got problems ;)
Simon
Bavaria, Germany