Author Topic: Found some chert ?  (Read 5461 times)

CHUCKER

Found some chert ?
« on: October 26, 2007, 11:30:50 am »
Well after looking off & on for 3 weeks I think I found some Vermont chert! I have learned alot from all the reading & research plus all the rocks I've busted open. I am posting a photo I took last night, the photo quality is not the best but I hope you kind folks can help verify my find.

[attachment deleted by admin]

jamie

Re: Found some chert ?
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2007, 06:20:48 pm »
looks similar to the normanskill i find in new york. actually looks alot like eopus from southern new york. where abouts did you find it?

Offline billy

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2007, 10:40:38 pm »
Yeah Chucker, looks like chert to me, or possibly some type of fine grained rhyolite.  It obviously chips like chert, so I'd say make some points out of it and smash a deer with it.  It's hunting season!
Marietta, Georgia

CHUCKER

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2007, 10:19:21 am »
Billy! I am afraid I have been hunting stone more then deer. When I get on a trail, well you know.
Jamie! It came from the shore Lake Champlain Just north of Burlington. Actually about 6" under water. The top end had been polished by ice and wave action. In the afternoon sun it drew my eye right to it.

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2007, 11:33:00 am »
CHUCKER - Looks like it aught to work to me, though I have no idea what it is. All ya can do is hit it and see. What's the water temp up there right now? Brrrrrrrrrrrr :-X :-X.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

jamie

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2007, 12:05:09 pm »
probably onandaga that far north. very nice stuff. tough to work on till ya get used to it. paul from canada loves the stuff.

CHUCKER

« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2007, 01:29:40 pm »
Cowboy its about 50 deg. right now, thats not to bad in Feb. it will have 3 feet of ice over it. I am new at this and will try my luck on the chip I took of the bigger piece.
    Jamie! send me your address and I will mail you a sample to try. I have dried this stone in the oven 2 hrs. @ 200 deg. and thats it.

jamie

« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2007, 01:38:09 pm »
thanks man i will do that. dont worry about heating or drying northern stone. too much heat will ruin the stone. some northern stones are said to be better when soaked. cant vouch for that though.

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2007, 10:15:36 am »
Looksa like pretty good stuff. Like Jamie said, with most chert, the wetter the better. Some people keep flint soaking in water.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.