Author Topic: My new ash bow..finaly finished..  (Read 8298 times)

Offline akila

My new ash bow..finaly finished..
« on: October 26, 2007, 06:40:42 pm »

Hy guys ...well its finaly finish..its not verry well tillerd but i had some problems with it...one limb wass vreey much natural reflexed and the other wass straight so its trick me and i remove to much wood from the straight limb and ofcourse that  at one point the straight limb wass bending to much and the reflex limb wass to stiff...so i start to remove wood from the stiff limb and at some point i had to leave it like you see it in the pictures becose it wass already to easey bow to shot it.Its a 35# bow at a 28" draw lenght..but its ok becose the bow is realy made for my wife so its enugh for her...and its gr8 for me to practice with him.

I have to say that this is my first bow made from a stave splitt from a log that its works...you know that i have broke one honey locust bow whenn i wass tillering on him ..so this wass a gr8 learning proces.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2007, 06:43:05 pm by akila »

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
Re: My new ash bow..finaly finished..
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2007, 07:10:09 pm »
  Good looking bow,I'm sure your wife will like it.I've never tried ash,and that one looked like a challenge.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline akila

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2007, 07:29:31 pm »
  Good looking bow,I'm sure your wife will like it.I've never tried ash,and that one looked like a challenge.
Thks a lot...it realy wass a chalenge..becose the stave had all the defects posibile:the stave wass not straight,the string did not came on the midle of the handle,the limbs wass twisted,and she have a fiew knots,it wass realy a learning proces this one.I hope that the next one it will be better.You are right ..my wife like this bow verry much..it wass her ideea the color of the bow and the color of the leather on the handle,and those things colored in wite and red....i dont know how they are called. :-\.I forgot...ash its a realy nice wood..i like it verry much.My first bow wass made from an ash board...and i have to say that the board wass not perfect straight grain...one limb have some run away..but the bow seams to hold on...so ash ish a verry good wood bow..so  ;)
« Last Edit: October 26, 2007, 07:31:46 pm by akila »

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2007, 10:18:13 pm »
Another nice bow out of such a character stave! Quite an accomplishment I have yet to achieve :).
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline Dane

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2007, 10:20:03 pm »
I like this one a lot. Isn't it amazing, when you make a bow from a stave instead of a board. I finished my first stave bow this past summer, an elm bow, and learned a great deal from it. It makes you really think and solve problems.

Dane
Greenfield, Western Massachusetts

Offline akila

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2007, 04:36:00 am »
I like this one a lot. Isn't it amazing, when you make a bow from a stave instead of a board. I finished my first stave bow this past summer, an elm bow, and learned a great deal from it. It makes you really think and solve problems.

Dane
Thks all of you for compliment...the tiller its not gr8 but i did my best..it wass realy a chalenge this stave.You realy have a gr8 satisfaction whenn you do a bow from a stave and not from a board,and you realy learn a lot of things.But i have to say that  i had to broke 2 bows untill i make it this one wich is not a perfect bow ,but heiiii...its my first bow made from a stave so... ;D

Offline DanaM

« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2007, 06:48:51 am »
Nice job akila, I am sure your wife loves it.
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2007, 09:58:05 am »
That is a great looking bow Akila.  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline white wood

« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2007, 12:03:39 pm »
nice bow akila. i use ash alot because i have alot of it. :) ive only used one stave of ash with a small knot and i left some extra wood around the outside just in case. i like the looks of that bow im sure your wife loves it. im trying to finish a few bows up before x-mas, one which is one for my wife. she shot with me one night and i couldnt get the bow from her hands! :D  ;D -whitewood
Jesse Buzzell
 Gorham, Maine

Offline akila

« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2007, 12:32:17 pm »
Hy and thks again for all the  compliment...heiii..dont be so nice to me..i can take some critics ;).Well i hope that the weather its nice tomorow..becose wi want to go shoot some arrows tomorow with this 2 bows.Thks again...see ya.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2007, 02:06:01 pm »
Nice  job. Very nice bow. I like just a bit more bending closer to the handle. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

a finnish native

« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2007, 04:23:01 pm »
a job well done. 8)

Offline akila

« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2007, 05:14:31 pm »
Thks a lot...im new to this and im trying to learn as much as posibile.The thing is that all the wood that i have right now ready for making bows, its all like that ..with a lot of caracter..and its always a chalenge for me,,specialy that im new to bow making..but im learning verry much with your help and i want to thk. you for that..you all are gr8 guys..thks......Ciprian.(this is my name ;D)

Offline FlintWalker

« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2007, 09:48:08 pm »
I think it looks good, especially for your first stave bow.  I like wood with character, it makes you slow down and think about what your doing more than perfectly straight, clean wood.

Be thankfull for all you have, because no matter how bad you think it is...it can always be worse.

Offline Woodland Roamer

« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2007, 10:41:28 am »
Good looking bow akila! I'm sure your wife will love it!

Alan
Alan Shook-Taylorsville NC

Bring back the Stone Age!