Author Topic: What are you doing to prepare for this hunting season?  (Read 6053 times)

Offline Marks

Re: What are you doing to prepare for this hunting season?
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2013, 11:06:37 am »
I've planted 1 1/2 acres of soy beans, two- 1/2 acres of mixed plot seeds.  Hopefully, I'll get an acre of buckwheat out in the next week.  I'll be preparing a couple salt licks.  I've been seeing a 100+ lbs. doe on my farm.  She came through my yard this afternoon.  So, I'll be watching her.

Oh, I got build 2 bows for friends to hunt with this season.

Soybean are my favorite. My dad farms and he alternates corn and soybeans on several fields. My favorite is soybean years. Its not good for him but usually the first 2-3 rows are eaten down to the ground. They love that stuff and its high in protein.

Offline steve b.

« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2013, 11:38:22 am »
Season is at the end of August.  Around July I start losing weight and gaining fitness.  My random 3-D shooting distances slowly work down to under 30 yds by August.  I shoot less but more focused on each shot.  Shoot only one bow and one arrow combo.  Work all summer on getting arrows together/tuned.  Do a couple scouting trips to hunt area.  Work some on a backup bow, just in case, something that will shoot my arrow combo in the same place as my hunt bow.  Sharpen broadheads after every practice session.  In August I usually do a bear hunt that is a bit more casual than the elk/deer hunt that is coming up.  I use the bear hunt as an opportunity to test gear, test my fitness, scout areas, etc.

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2013, 11:36:24 am »
  PEARLS right the only time I quit thinking bucks in gobbler season. Even then I'll catch myself scouting or thinking buck where I'm at. And although I do alot year round when it comes down to hunting I've always used the KISS method.
 K eep
 I t
 S imple
 S tupit,

It's worked on ALOT OF BUCKS AND GOBBLERS.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING