Author Topic: What are you doing to prepare for this hunting season?  (Read 6045 times)

Offline Christian Soldier

What are you doing to prepare for this hunting season?
« on: July 12, 2013, 11:32:48 am »
I just picked up my license yesterday, working on this year's hunting bow now, hoping to line up some places to hunt this sunday, and then mark out some places to sit and look at a few trees for long periods of time.  ;)

What are you doing to prepare for this upcoming season?
2nd Timothy 2:3 "Endure hardship with us like a good soldier of Christ Jesus."

Offline Marks

Re: What are you doing to prepare for this hunting season?
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2013, 12:46:31 pm »
Need to prepare a greenfield next to my 2 favorite acorn factories, fence the cows out of it and set up a permanent stand there. Last year I used a climber and left it on the base of the tree all season and I think the scent ran my big buck off. I have a quiet easy entrance already.

I also need to motivate myself to find time to finish my bow and practice real good. Last year I also had a groundblind set up and cut a cedar tree down in front of it and broke a bunch of the limbs off to brushed it in and double as cover scent. I'm looking forward to it. Hopefully I'll have 2 new toys this year. A selfbow and a Ruger SuperBlackhawk .44mag. Pigs & Whitetails Beware!!

Offline Olanigw (Pekane)

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2013, 01:07:33 pm »
Scouting 2 WMAs I haven't hunted, getting an idea of what's changed on my Town Land, over the winter.
Strength training so I can hunt with my Grandfather's bow.
Working overtime to keep up with regular life.
"Good enough" is the enemy of great
PN501018

Offline Marks

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2013, 03:27:09 pm »

I hear that. I got my first baby on the way during the middle of this season so I don't if I'm ever gonna catch back up much less keep up with. I MAY NOT BE DOING MUCH HUNTING AT ALL.

Offline Olanigw (Pekane)

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2013, 03:32:01 pm »

I hear that. I got my first baby on the way during the middle of this season so I don't if I'm ever gonna catch back up much less keep up with. I MAY NOT BE DOING MUCH HUNTING AT ALL.

Congrats!  That was me last year.  Went into the woods once for thanksgiving, and that was it... except  my larva was 9 months old at that point.
"Good enough" is the enemy of great
PN501018

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2013, 12:48:17 am »
Busting my tail to get everything caught up so my wife won't have any reason to complain when October finally gets here!  Poor girl gets widowed every October.....
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline Slackbunny

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2013, 02:10:59 pm »
I'm working on a new bow that I hope will be my new hunter. I've given away the last nine bows I've made so I think I've earned one. I've also been practicing my shooting.

But as far as scouting or preparing a site I'm not going to bother this year, at least not until I know if I am remaining in the area or not. I recently completed my engineering degree and I'm looking for a job now. I could end up anywhere in Canada at any time now, so I don't even know if I will be hunting here or not.

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2013, 08:05:08 pm »
  I do all of my scouting ,seting up ,triming everything that has to be done I do last winter. So my sites are freash when I do hunt it. I never revisted my stand sites untill the timeing right for that site. Then when I walk out on my deck to hunt that day. I go to the site that the wind tells me to.
  Starting in July I start glassing my farm fields. I've saw 29 bucks so far all 1 1/2.2 1/2's (forkies to 8 points all inside a couple ear tips. 2 ,3 1/2 year old tens (100,110)/ One 4 1/2 10 point around 20"s wide, nice tines mid 130's. All glassed from the truck.
  I only walk around in winter (scouting) any other time I leave my areas as sent free as I can. I you want mature bucks to move around in the day light other than the rut. Your area has to be left alone. When I do go to a site It's with the wind,have the wind while I'm there and leave with the wind.
  No need to go scouting around after I ready to go. If you do your only letting bucks know your there. Once a mature buck knows your there he just became 20 no 50 times harder to kill. Then you only have the rut to depend on it happening.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline Moggy

« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2013, 01:06:49 am »
I'm shooting and walking,,gonna start scouting soon.

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2013, 07:57:20 pm »
Nothing
I like osage

Offline Thesquirrelslinger

"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results"

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2013, 10:55:41 am »
I never stop thinking about bow hunting. Its 365 days a year for me, no kidding. I started picking out specific Hill cane shafts I want to use and set them aside. I have enough feathers cut out and reserved for 3 hunting arrows. I never know what bow Ill use until the day gets here. I don't use cameras, so that isn't on my to-do list. I moved a stand a few weeks back and plan to hang a few more in the coming weeks. I keep my hunting incredibly simple, yet I still make it a daily part of my life all the same. I have found it doesn't take stacks of gear and gadgets to keep me interested year round. 
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2013, 09:44:24 pm »
I hear you PD.  I keep it simple too and the "hot new" gear and gadgets usually don't mean a thing to me.  It is an all year long thing.  Every shot I take into a target is followed up with the "that was a kill" or "that was a miss" being said to myself.  It is all about hunting.   I am counting down days right now.  I have it down to one of three bows that are contenders for this year's hunting bow.  I will narrow that down to the one I shoot the best by October 15.  I have several spots already in mind for a proper ambush.  Waiting to see how the acorn crop pans out.  Good luck to all of y'all this year.  :) 
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline hedgeapple

« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2013, 01:51:07 am »
I've planted 1 1/2 acres of soy beans, two- 1/2 acres of mixed plot seeds.  Hopefully, I'll get an acre of buckwheat out in the next week.  I'll be preparing a couple salt licks.  I've been seeing a 100+ lbs. doe on my farm.  She came through my yard this afternoon.  So, I'll be watching her.

Oh, I got build 2 bows for friends to hunt with this season.
Dave   Richmond, KY
26" draw

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2013, 09:33:07 am »
About like Pearl,working on some arrows and a new bow,may use it and may not.
Doing a little bushhogging where I can get around out of head high weeds, Most stands will be put up in Late August depending on the mass crop from year to year where they go, not a trophy hunter and don't do cameras, I like to be surprised. ;) :) :) Pretty simple for me where to locate stands, I go where the food is and the deer will be there. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good