Author Topic: Shooting Style  (Read 10932 times)

Offline Atlatlista

Re: Shooting Style
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2013, 04:19:10 pm »
I'm required to shoot split by IFAA/NFAA Longbow rules.  I'd shoot 3-under for closer distances if not for that requirement.  3-under moves your point-on distance closer, reducing your gap substantially for close-range shooting, making it easier to be accurate.  However, beyond about 40 yards, I think everyone does better shooting split, because with 3 under you'd be doing a ton of stacking.  So, when I have the opportunity to shoot 3-under for IBO stuff, I may give that a try, as the distances involved are much shorter than field archery where you have to be good out to 80 yards with a longbow and wood arrows.
So men who are free
Love the old yew tree
And the land where the yew tree grows.

Offline trad bow

« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2013, 08:50:39 pm »
Split

FAW

« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2013, 10:07:14 pm »
Split - tried three under but not comfortable for me

Offline Huntinfool

« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2013, 03:06:52 am »
Split, middle finger in the corner of my mouth, try to hold till everything feels just right.

Usually only takes a second or two to let go!

~HF~

FAW

« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2013, 12:46:10 am »
Split finger - base of thumb hits cheek and arrow gone.

Offline CaptainBeaky

• Maker of stuff
    • Westmead Artificing
« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2013, 07:26:19 am »
Two-fingers under - but that's because I've lost half the index finger on that hand :o

Tip of thumb to corner of mouth, hold briefly then it's gone.
The law hangs the man and flogs the woman
That steals the goose from off the common
But lets the greater villain loose
That steals the common from under the goose.

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2013, 09:25:51 am »
  3 under, middle finger on corner of mouth, usually hold a second to gap shoot.
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline Slackbunny

« Reply #22 on: April 06, 2013, 02:20:26 pm »
I shoot split.

Just curious, does anyone use their thumb? I'm sure I read somewhere about a group of people who drew with their thumb. Seems to me like you might get a cleaner release with a thumb draw. I may have to give it a go this weekend.

Offline smoky#1

• Clayton Porter
« Reply #23 on: April 06, 2013, 05:48:33 pm »
One over, two under.
smoky, Bassett NE

Offline Olanigw (Pekane)

« Reply #24 on: April 07, 2013, 12:26:01 am »
I shoot split.

Just curious, does anyone use their thumb? I'm sure I read somewhere about a group of people who drew with their thumb. Seems to me like you might get a cleaner release with a thumb draw. I may have to give it a go this weekend.

I've shot Korean Traditional, using the thumb.

I've shot with my thumb off a righty bow (i'm lefty), worked well enough.  There's a guy on here that posted a takedown molley style bow that shoots with a thumb ring with a string loop.
"Good enough" is the enemy of great
PN501018

Offline Frawg

• Mayan Apocalypse Survivor
    • N/A
« Reply #25 on: April 07, 2013, 01:11:20 am »
Split for me.
Matt
Matt Bradley

Glade Valley, NC

Offline tanner

« Reply #26 on: April 11, 2013, 11:41:30 pm »
Split. On a related note, I've been doing some experimenting with the level of grip that my 1-over (index) finger has on the string. It seems if I leave it completely off that it's too difficult for me to have a relaxed shot. However, if I put as much pressure on it as I do the other two fingers my shots aren't quite as clean. Middle and ring take the bulk of the weight and I would describe index as taking 40% of the pressure that the others each take. I seem to get the cleanest releases that way lately. Down-side is that the knuckles in my other two fingers get worn out faster.

Offline johnston

« Reply #27 on: April 14, 2013, 11:01:55 am »
Split but I have been experimenting with 3 over. Will get back to you on that when I get
this arrow out of my foot.

Offline Beavis

• Hi
« Reply #28 on: April 19, 2013, 03:02:13 pm »
I like 2 under if the bow isnt a heavy draw, split if it gets to much or i'm tired.

I shoot split.

Ishi shot mongolian style, drew with thumb with index finger on the thumb nail

Offline killir duck

• i like elk
« Reply #29 on: April 19, 2013, 05:09:37 pm »
3 under I have tried split but it never worked for me, I anchor with my pointer finger touching the corner of my mouth, hold for half a second and release
PRIMITIVE ARCHERY what other way can you play with sticks and rocks all day and not look like a little kid

Every time i shoot at a bunny i recall the wise words of Elmer Fudd "I've got you now you waskally wabbit!"