Author Topic: Please help ID this bamboo  (Read 1427 times)

Offline sleek

Please help ID this bamboo
« on: February 28, 2013, 03:49:29 am »
I cut this the other week at a river bottom in northern Oklahoma. It was the type that doesnt clump up, but rather sends out culms. Tallest was about 7-8 ft tall, and none was thicker than half an inch thick. I cut it hoping to get some arrow shafts. I didnt know when I cut it you were supposed to get second year growth, so I probably have allot that are not any good. Here are the best pics I could get.

Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline stringstretcher

• Traditionalarcherycommunitysite.com
Re: Please help ID this bamboo
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2013, 06:36:04 am »
Looks like to me you might have switch cane.  Or it is river cane, but looks more like switch cane to me.  Nice find and great haul.  You will like the arrows it makes for sure.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2013, 10:28:12 am »
I think it is switch cane also. Switch cane makes very good arrows. River cane is usually taller and bigger diameter and has a very pronounced sulcus(indentation above the nodes) with thin walls and large diameter center hole.
  You'll be able to tell if any are imature in about a month. The immeture ones will develop longitudinal wrinkles. They may still make light weight arrows for kids but I haven't tried them for that.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2013, 12:11:28 pm »
  I'll go a long with that.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline Mikeeeeeeeeee

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2013, 02:50:58 pm »
You have switch cane. Switch cane usually tops out at 7-8 feet, and hardly ever gets over 1/2" in diameter. It has much smoother nodes than river cane or other bamboos.
If you cut them 6' or better, you can be assured that is older growth.
I am using switch cane on my arrows and it is easy to work with.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2013, 02:58:48 pm »
Mikeeee, all cane(bamboo) grows to its ultimate height the first growing season and matures more over its life span so any river cane that grows to 6' isn't necessarily mature.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC