Author Topic: more stuff continued  (Read 4740 times)

CHUCKER

more stuff continued
« on: October 27, 2007, 01:33:37 pm »
anothe photo of rock simular to the first I found, but from anothe location and above water this time.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline richpierce

Re: more stuff continued
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2007, 02:13:41 pm »
That's chert all right.  You've already noticed it often has a rind that is no good and you need to knock that off.  Some nodules will have almost no core worth working and others will be mostly good core.  Practice with the rough stuff and use the good stuff when you really understand how the rock works.

Trapper

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2007, 05:07:46 pm »
Sure looks like Basalt too me, duz it have little fractures through it?    Just wondering , Damon sent me some Basalt from mexico and I couldnt even work it , it was so fractured through it. You could get a big point out of what I had but little one would break at the most critical moment, when I was notching it.          Trapper

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2007, 07:09:28 pm »
............like Trapper said..........bob

jamie

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2007, 07:19:22 pm »
that looks more like normanskill chert . the basalt we have here is completly different than the arizona variety. you can knap the arizona stuff . our stuff works great if you grind it . you can percuss it a bit but not much. normanskill is excellent material. something like 99%silica base compared to 97 or 98 for texas and european flint. biggest problem with most of it is finding pieces that dont have fractures in them. peace

jamie

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2007, 12:15:26 pm »
chuck just got the package. definetly normanskill. i'll pop some spall off it later to clear up the fractures and see if i can get some points off of it. the black one is normans too but it may also be eopus . but thats usually in southern new york. thanks , i'll get some points up to ya. by the way i took a deer last friday with a normanskill point. peace

CHUCKER

« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2007, 01:11:38 pm »
Thanks for the quick reply Jamie! I have about 100 lbs. in my garage. If you ever need some let me know.  I have a photo taken last Sunsay of a block of this stuff thats 3 x 3 feet maybe 1000 lbs. Sad thing is like you say a lot is scrap due to cracks. I will try to post it tonight.
    Have a Ghoulish night all!

jamie

« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2007, 04:31:12 pm »
wow!!!!